dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

Antenna upgrade for WRT54GS to be used as repeater?

I have a WRT54GS running Tomato. I'm trying to get on a network that is available across the street from me. It is being broadcast by a large, old stone building that is literally across the street from my place. There are a few large trees in front of the building, but nothing excessive.

If I go outside and cross the street I get 2 bars. If I walk up the street about 50 metres I get 4 or 5 bars.

I would like to simply unscrew the antenna from my WRT54GS and put on a more powerful one that will allow me to get on that network. The way I envision it, this method of improving my router's range would be tidy, simple to install, and wouldn't result in signal degradation due to transmission through a cable.

But I don't know which antenna is compatible with this router (ie can be installed by just screwing it on) and which model will provide good bang for the buck.

Anyone have an idea?

I did search this forum and found a relevant thread, however all the links to recommended products are dead.
»Extend range of WRT54GS

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

Not sure if parabolic reflector is the correct word. Picture half of a soda can behind the antenna pointed at the other site.
It's like the Dish Networks antenna, the dish is the same as the can.

That might work and it's a cheap test.
nauru0

nauru0

Interesting thought. I will keep an eye out for a nice curved piece of metal. At the moment I don't have the tools to cut a coffee can in half.

Ken1943
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to nauru0

to nauru0
It only has to be as tall as the antenna. If you didn't have an external antenna, you would be out of luck. At the moment, I can't think of another "product".

Do a search for > wireless router antenna reflector got a lot of hits.
nauru0

nauru0

thanks.

How come an antenna reflector would not work with an internal antenna?

How come there is no other product that I could use except a reflector? What about better antennas that I could just screw onto the router? Are there not upgraded antennas that you can screw on to the wrt54gs, which are more powerful than the stock antennas? I thought the whole point of designing/purchasing a router with external antennas was so the antennas could be upgraded/replaced should the need arise.

For example: »www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Link ··· d&_uhb=1
Only thing is, I don't know enough to know what sort of improvement I can expect if I install this more powerful antenna. I don't even know what the specs are for the stock antenna on the WRT54GS to make a crude comparison.

Ken1943
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

The shape of an internal antenna is not the same as an external antenna so it doesn't lend itself to use a reflector. The external antenna is the same shape as used on a Ham Radio hand held transceiver. Some hams have use a reflector as I described on them as a super cheap test. My routers have always been close to my computers so I never had to experiment.

That's why I gave you a search phrase which gave better details than I could. Like height, shape and distance behind the antenna.

I suggested it as a "starting point" and you may have to go to something better. The correct reflector can give much more signal than a "high gain" antenna in the shape as the ones that came with the router.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit

Hagar to nauru0

to nauru0
I used this »www.freeantennas.com/pro ··· dex.html

Material was a pringels can and I got 8db improvement.

Edit/
Sorry this was the template I used.
»www.freeantennas.com/pro ··· dex.html