how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RBost

join:2009-07-07
Richmond, VA

SEC channel

Does anyone know if Vz. will carry this channel when it becomes available on 8/14.
For those of us who are college sports fans this channel is a must have.

lee7n

join:2012-11-05
I doubt they will get it that fast. There are many channels we should have but still do not.

dfwguy

join:2013-10-24
If it was anyone but ESPN backing it, I would agree with you. But, it's ESPN, so it's almost certain that we will get it, and probably pretty quick. Longhorn Network was added on like day 2 of its existence, and it's pretty much the exact same thing.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 edit
I'm with DFW on this one. ESPN and VZ are pretty much star-crossed lovebirds when it comes to carriage. LOL.

Plus, the channel moves on 8/1 would set up an appropriate location for it as well.

Now, the only question would be - will everyone get it in HD? Or just the footprint? If it's the latter, that's only FL - and maybe VA as a stretch.

But - if they want to do it MPEG4 in HD - then I'm all for it.

RBost

Richmond, VA
It is my understanding that this is not a regional channel but will go nationwide? Since when has Vz. ever listened to customers requests about adding channels? People have been requesting TCM in HD for years and Vz. is the largest to not carry it.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to RBost
Problem here is that ESPN/SEC is most likely trying to bilk high carriage rates from Verizon, nationally. Verizon would probably add it as a RSN, but SEC/ESPN don't want that. It's the same story as PAC-12 channel.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to RBost
I'm guessing we'll see a nice # of channel adds once the realignment happens on or around 8/1.

We know they have space, and based on the moves, it's pretty clear what some of the candidates may be. (DIY, FS2, etc.)
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
WHAT, you guys are getting more channels? That's not fair. Send some over to Xfinity. LOL

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Acct-
You had your chance! LOL.

dfwguy

reply to RBost
said by JeepMatt:

Now, the only question would be - will everyone get it in HD? Or just the footprint? If it's the latter, that's only FL - and maybe VA as a stretch.

I know A&M is pretty new to the SEC, but how could you forget about them given how much media slobbering there was over Manziel?
said by Greg2600:

Problem here is that ESPN/SEC is most likely trying to bilk high carriage rates from Verizon, nationally. Verizon would probably add it as a RSN, but SEC/ESPN don't want that. It's the same story as PAC-12 channel.

ESPN are the masters of frog boiling. The SEC Network will start out being available for next to nothing and the rates will only climb once they get everyone locked in, the same way they did it for ESPN2, and ESPNU, and ESPNNEWS, and the Ocho, and whatever else I'm forgetting. Pac-12 Network wanted it all up front. Plus there's the whole SEC being a better conference, and the Pac-12 starting too many games too late at night. A 10:30 or 11:00 PM ET kickoff between two teams that aren't USC, Oregon, or Stanford is of little interest to those living in eastern or central time.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Damn DFW-
How could I forget about Johnny Football? My fault..
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

charliewatts

join:2013-04-10
reply to RBost
Between ESPN, FOX and NBC, aern't most SEC games already on the air nationwide? Won't the SEC network basically be the 'leftovers'?

And what about the FOX regional sports networks at channels 300 and up? What divisions are those showing? I know they are only in sd, and I never, ever watch, but it must be of some interest to someone.

RBost

Richmond, VA
Football is only one sport. Basketball,baseball,women's softball and wrestling will also be shown. This should cause the other 5 major conferences to follow, although I don't know if that is good or bad.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
said by RBost:

Football is only one sport. Basketball,baseball,women's softball and wrestling will also be shown. This should cause the other 5 major conferences to follow, although I don't know if that is good or bad.

Ratings = zilch.

RBost

Richmond, VA
If Vz cared about ratings we would not have any of the .crap channels.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

I'm guessing we'll see a nice # of channel adds once the realignment happens on or around 8/1.

We know they have space, and based on the moves, it's pretty clear what some of the candidates may be. (DIY, FS2, etc.)

I would like to get DiY in HD. However, my main HD channel I have been craving for is H2 in HD, myself.

dfwguy

reply to RBost
said by charliewatts:

Between ESPN, FOX and NBC, aern't most SEC games already on the air nationwide? Won't the SEC network basically be the 'leftovers'?

CBS gets first choice, and everything after that is divided up by ESPN and the SEC. They will give SEC Network some of the better games to build demand for it. Never the top (which will be a 7 or 8pm ET start on ESPN or ABC), but a solid #2 or #3. Much better deal than the Pac-12 Network which was almost exclusively leftovers.
said by charliewatts:

And what about the FOX regional sports networks at channels 300 and up? What divisions are those showing? I know they are only in sd, and I never, ever watch, but it must be of some interest to someone.

The 3 FCS channels show games that are televised only by RSNs or local channels. I think the only conference rights they still have are the Big-12 and C-USA. Last year they also picked up games from Northern Arizona (FS Arizona has their rights), New Mexico State (Altitude has their rights), North Dakota and North Dakota State (local broadcasters, might be FS North producing?), and Ivy League games that weren't on NBCSN.
said by RBost:

In terms of what actually pays the bills for regional college sports networks, football is all that matters. Otherwise, college sports don't draw significant viewers until their respective playoffs, and those are generally on separate TV deals. Have to fill out the other 350 days of the year somehow though.

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

1 edit
reply to RBost
said by RBost:

Since when has Vz. ever listened to customers requests about adding channels? People have been requesting TCM in HD for years and Vz. is the largest to not carry it.

You should complain to TCM since TCM HD does not transmit HD. Nothing on the so called TCM HD channel is actually HD but scaled SD. Verizon is waiting for the channel to actually transmit its HD signal.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to RBost
I'm banking on this channel. I just tweeted Verizon Fios's twitter account to see if they'll give up some info on it. I can't see them not carrying it. i would love it in HD, but i'll settle for even just SD...why? becuase all I need is verizon to carry it. That way I can just go on the WatchESPN app or the ESPN app on xbox and then see it on HD there. Last season I was able to see every Texas A&M game up here in Delaware because the SEC game of the week (which was sponsored by ESPN..I think)..which is only carried by affiliates in the SEC footprint..was streamed on the ESPN app. So i saw them all in HD. I don't know if my logic is messed up, but I just want Verizon to carry some form of it. My question is..if Verizon doesn't carry it, will the ESPN app still carry it since it's an ESPN channel. Others on other boards have said no. Carriers need to carry it in order to confirm you can stream it at log on. I'm sure it's all speculation at this point.

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY
reply to RBost
I am hoping that Verizon Fios carries the SEC Network in HD and also adds HD for the Longhorn Network in states other than Texas. What good is SD when watching a football game?

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
kudos:2
reply to webcobbler
Besides the ones I mentions in my previous post, I would like to see AHC in HD. The former Military channel. It would go on 625. They have great HD Native Series', and I would love that channel in HD.

Also Military History channel in HD.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to RBost
Just noticed yesterday that MAVTV is not in HD. Did I miss that a while ago, or is it new?

thetick

White Plains, NY
reply to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

I am hoping that Verizon Fios carries the SEC Network in HD and also adds HD for the Longhorn Network in states other than Texas. What good is SD when watching a football game?

A better question is what good is the Longhorn network? It carries one live Texas game and it's always a leftover cupcake no other network wants.

dfwguy

2 games. This year, it's North Texas and Iowa State. Last year they also picked up a couple Texas State games. So, that's something.

Question for those of you outside of Texas who have access to LHN via Ultimate or the Sports Pack, does the live stream at »espn.go.com/longhornnetwork/player work for you? I would assume that it does.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to thetick
said by thetick:

said by Rick4769:

A better question is what good is the Longhorn network? It carries one live Texas game and it's always a leftover cupcake no other network wants.

More importantly, who outside of Texas cares about Texas sports in general? It's absurd that people have to pay for this channel nationally.

dfwguy

Even more importantly, who anywhere cares about the Yankees? You get the empty shell of YES HD off my channel lineup and we'll talk about LHN.

charliewatts

join:2013-04-10
reply to RBost
Yankees? The only team that matters? The only team with a true national following? Make that international? Makes a lot more sense to have them on every system, right after the ESPN suite, then any other sports channel.

I guess haters gotta hate.

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RBost
If you live in New York State, parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you will get all the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Nets games in HD. If you live outside of those demographics, you will receive the National YES Network without any of the games. I receive national feed of NESN which is in SD and absolutely useless.

FIOS needs to add all sports stations in HD as well as SD. Football games in SD on the Longhorn Network just don't cut it.

thetick

White Plains, NY

1 edit
reply to dfwguy
said by dfwguy:

Even more importantly, who anywhere cares about the Yankees? You get the empty shell of YES HD off my channel lineup and we'll talk about LHN.

Apparently according to Forbes enough to make the enterprise value for the Yankees ($1.85 billion), YES and Legends worth $5.5 BILLION which is much more than other US Sports franchise.
See »www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ikd···ankees-2

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

If you live in New York State

Rick, you are in Buffalo NY, so why does that not count as New York State?