Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to RBost

Premium Member

to RBost
said by RBost:

I guess there's no way that this channel could just show up at 6pm today, is there?

Technology wise, sure. Like i said, i'm sure the channel is already groomed and hidden. Then they'd just need to update the channel maps to see new the Virtual Channels.

I could be 100% wrong - but only time will tell.
Reyr
join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE

Reyr to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
The most information I'm getting out of Verizon is from the reps from Florida. Official twitter account for @VZFiOSFL are acknowledging they are in negotiations and will update as soon as possible. That's really the most information anyone from verizon has said about it. It's frustrating. This conversation is only a couple hours old.

@PhotoLanceC No word yet, Lance. We are working on negotiating now. We will let you know as soon as possible!

— Verizon FiOS FL (@VZFiOSFL) August 14, 2014
RBost
join:2009-07-07
Richmond, VA

RBost

The most information I'm getting out of Verizon is from the reps from Florida. Official twitter account for @VZFiOSFL are acknowledging they are in negotiations and will update as soon as possible. That's really the most information anyone from verizon has said about it. It's frustrating. This conversation is only a couple hours old.
No word yet, Lance. We are working on negotiating now. We will let you know as soon as possible!

This is the standard reply #1. They have been saying this for 2 months. The other companies apparently are much better negotiators.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

The major issue with these regional sports network adds is what package the channel(s) will be in so the costs get spread across as many customers as possible. The networks want to all be treated like ESPN, but the providers don't want to pay ESPN's rates. Chicken and egg problem.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by nycdave:

The major issue with these regional sports network adds is what package the channel(s) will be in so the costs get spread across as many customers as possible. The networks want to all be treated like ESPN, but the providers don't want to pay ESPN's rates. Chicken and egg problem.

Yes, and on top of that, aside from a couple live games per week, 99% of the programming on these networks is filler. I mean, who the heck is watching Big Ten Network at 11am on a Monday morning in July.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to RBost

Premium Member

to RBost
The sports channels are starting to get watered down like everything else. But they still want the same rates. So if all the conferences start their own networks and the big games are on free TV, what is left for ESPN?

Or will we be left with no games on free TV?

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy

said by Acct101:

Or will we be left with no games on free TV?

Thatd be sweet cause would really pissoff the cordcutters.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

If I ran a MSO, I'd be identical to BrightHouse. Adding all HD, on time, no issue, no secrets.

It took them SIX YEARS to come to terms for NFL Network. Of all the channels to not carry, the one showing the most popular sport in the country is probably the worst choice.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I love the fact that this board picks out the ONE flaw in my battle.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to RBost

to RBost
So here in the NY area, SECN will likely not be available at launch to Verizon FiOS customers or Cablevision customers. Just DirecTV,, and Dish (which nobody here has, since they don't carry any NYC RSN's). Which again shows how NYC couldn't care less about college sports ... and the providers know that. Of course Verizon is in alot more areas than just NYC, but the mentality prevails.

Rutgers entering the BIG 10 is an attempt to change that mindset, but with 9 pro teams here, nobody around here really cares about any college doings. ESPN would like you to think otherwise. I've never seen a sole wear any college apparel, besides where they or their kids go, anywhere in NYC.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to RBost

Premium Member

to RBost
That twitter handle is getting beat up today ever since they 1st responded...
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to charliewatts

to charliewatts
said by charliewatts:

So here in the NY area, SECN will likely not be available at launch to Verizon FiOS customers or Cablevision customers. Just DirecTV,, and Dish (which nobody here has, since they don't carry any NYC RSN's). Which again shows how NYC couldn't care less about college sports ... and the providers know that. Of course Verizon is in alot more areas than just NYC, but the mentality prevails. Rutgers entering the BIG 10 is an attempt to change that mindset, but with 9 pro teams here, nobody around here really cares about any college doings. ESPN would like you to think otherwise. I've never seen a sole wear any college apparel, besides where they or their kids go, anywhere in NYC.

While I don't want or need the SEC Network - what a waste of money for only a handful of games anybody gives a s**t about - I will take exception to your characterization that NY "couldn't" care less about college sports. There are three colleges that pull relatively big numbers from the metro NYC area - ND, Syracuse and Penn St. (You can argue four if you want to count UConn men's basketball.) If any of those teams were tied into the SEC Network, the clamoring for its inclusion would be much louder around here.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

Gosh, Rutgers doesn't sound right being in the Big 10. Speaking of which, these are supposed to be higher institutes for learning. When are they going to start calling it the Big 14?

I actually love these conference networks, only because we see more Softball then we would otherwise get on ESPN.

bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by Acct101:

Gosh, Rutgers doesn't sound right being in the Big 10. Speaking of which, these are supposed to be higher institutes for learning. When are they going to start calling it the Big 14?

I actually love these conference networks, only because we see more Softball then we would otherwise get on ESPN.

Rutgers is going to get absolutely destroyed in the Big 10.

ransaldi
@108.34.254.x

ransaldi

Anon

FWIW - The Watch ESPN app was updated today to include SEC Network, SEC Plus, and Longhorn Network. Anyone with Apple TV or another device should be able to watch easily without FIOS carrying the network for the interim. I am sure the network will get added at some point in the future (most sports channels seem to) but folks interested can at least access it until then using other sources.
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly

said by ransaldi :

FWIW - The Watch ESPN app was updated today to include SEC Network, SEC Plus, and Longhorn Network. Anyone with Apple TV or another device should be able to watch easily without FIOS carrying the network for the interim. I am sure the network will get added at some point in the future (most sports channels seem to) but folks interested can at least access it until then using other sources.

I don't think so. Your watch ESPN app is tearhered to you provider. I don't have Longhorn on the Ultimate package so when I pop into Watch ESPN with my ROKU, no deal.
RBost
join:2009-07-07
Richmond, VA

RBost to ransaldi

to ransaldi
I just tried it and got a message that Vz has not agreed to carry this channel.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

1 edit

eival

the acutal verizon.net live channel lineup doesnt show it yet, its probably just a ESPN3.com site update across the board and then letting its verification checks handle it from there

the Longhorn Network is there

i just wish i could use in at all on linux, Chrome and 14.x pepperflash doesnt work and shows a broken icon where the verzion one should be and wont even open the popup (and even if i paste the exact popup url it just shows a loading circle indefinetly...even tho all the live stuff from ESPN/2/U/News shows up which means it knows i have access) and Firefox with 11.2 flash doesnt even get past the reloading the sign-in page

acutally i stand corrected, the SEC network does appear in the player once it opens and loads all the non-basic ESPN3 stuff on the right hand side

julesism
join:2001-12-12
North Little Rock, AR
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

julesism

Click for full size
it's listed but it no worky, at least not for me:
I fired up my Xbox360 and XboxOne... no dice.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to charliewatts

to charliewatts
said by charliewatts:

Rutgers entering the BIG 10 is an attempt to change that mindset, but with 9 pro teams here, nobody around here really cares about any college doings.

It's not just that NYC has 9 pro teams. I think the bigger reason college sports are not popular around here is because there are no big sports colleges or universities in this area. Yes, Rutgers would be the closest thing we have (I'm an alum), but their teams have historically been terrible, so nobody is really watching. Lately Syracuse has been branding themselves as "New York's college team" (they even had an advertisement in Yankee stadium), but given that school is 250 miles away makes it a bit of a stretch.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to RBost

to RBost
SECN struck deal with Mediacom.

TonyD79
@72.81.141.x

TonyD79 to nycdave

Anon

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

Not quite. SEC is asking around $1.40 in SEC territory and 25 cents out of territory. Nowhere near espn rates.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to RBost

to RBost
I just read Mediacom just signed an agreement with the SEC. Hope Verizon adds the network.

»www.al.com/sports/index. ··· o_r.html

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

said by Acct101:

Rutgers is going to get absolutely destroyed in the Big 10.

They never really win anyways so now theyll just get more $$ for it.

Uaphan
@70.192.69.x

Uaphan to Rick4769

Anon

to Rick4769
I love how Verizon Fios Twitter feed only responds to people wanting to switch to them and technical issues-no programming is addressed at all. Completely ignoring SEC Network questions.
Why can't they agree to terms like almost all the other providers have??
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Uaphan :

I love how Verizon Fios Twitter feed only responds to people wanting to switch to them and technical issues-no programming is addressed at all. Completely ignoring SEC Network questions.

If you're only looking at the Verizon Support Twitter feed, then you're missing the one that discusses other things like programming. I would suspect that Verizon support employees are instructed not to respond to any questions related to programming.

Uaphan
@70.192.69.x

Uaphan

Anon

What is the Twitter handle that discusses programming? Thanks
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

@VerizonFiOS. The support is @VerizonSupport.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to Uaphan

to Uaphan
said by Uaphan :

Completely ignoring SEC Network questions.

Because CableVision (Verizon's most important market, NYC) hasn't signed on yet, they are dragging their feet. Native SEC territories Tampa/St. Pete and North Texas represent less than 10% of the FiOS footprint and are deemed far less important.