skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to crgauth

to crgauth

Re: SEC channel

said by crgauth:

Seems to be a pretty biased "article".
I think we all have known that NYC has driven FIOS for years (who is the only one that gets deals on equipment?).
I think it is also commonplace to know that people that want change are the most vocal. How many people (out of all of the subscribers) really care about SEC, PAC-12 or any of the other channels that are missing vs the number of people that are posting to the various forums.
How many people that have threatened to leave really will? Especially those that are still under contract.
Yes there are channels I would like FIOS to carry, but they are still the best option I have so I will stick with them.
My $.02 worth.

Very biased article. And very poorly written imho. Look it's fine with me if they carry the channel but I don't think the outcry on this one is that loud.
Also doesn't FIOS through ESPN carry a pay package(Gameplan)? for all these games? Is that still not an option for ANYBODY?
skohly

1 recommendation

skohly

said by skohly:

said by crgauth:

Seems to be a pretty biased "article".
I think we all have known that NYC has driven FIOS for years (who is the only one that gets deals on equipment?).
I think it is also commonplace to know that people that want change are the most vocal. How many people (out of all of the subscribers) really care about SEC, PAC-12 or any of the other channels that are missing vs the number of people that are posting to the various forums.
How many people that have threatened to leave really will? Especially those that are still under contract.
Yes there are channels I would like FIOS to carry, but they are still the best option I have so I will stick with them.
My $.02 worth.

Very biased article. And very poorly written imho. Look it's fine with me if they carry the channel but I don't think the outcry on this one is that loud.
Also doesn't FIOS through ESPN carry a pay package(Gameplan)? for all these games? Is that still not an option for ANYBODY?

I just did some snooping around My Verizon and I don't see any option for the ESPN Gameplan so I'm wrong on that. Frankly the solution too all these specialty sports channels is to make them ala-carte then whoever really wants them can pay extra for them. It's simply not fair to those that don't like sports to have to pay for all this. I myself am a big sports fan so I'm glad to have YES, MSG, SNY ESPN, MLB, NHL.NBA, NBCsports, CBS sports. I'm thrilled. But for those that don't it's simply not right
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to Acct101

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

Wow, that article is going to get a lot of people upset. Isn't the SEC the best college football conference in the country.

The people who are going to read that article are the ones that are already upset. The other 95+% won't see it and aren't even aware there is an issue, let alone an SEC network. I'm a big sports fan but any SEC game I'd care to watch will be on one of the existing outlets that we already receive. I don't think I've ever watched a football game on the Big10 Network and Penn State is the team I've been following since I was a kid (I went to a 1AA football university). I have watched field hockey and volleyball on the Big10 Network but I'm not dying to see secondary SEC sports.

crgauth is right (above) the loud complaining on internet forums is a subset of a small subset of the subscriber population.
bwintx
join:2005-08-21
Plano, TX

bwintx to RBost

to RBost
Looks like the deal is done...

Verizon Agrees To Carry SEC Network On FiOS TV Service
»www.sportsbusinessdaily. ··· zon.aspx
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

But the article says in the SEC territories, not necessarily everywhere.
RBost
join:2009-07-07
Richmond, VA

RBost

The way I read it is that it will be on the basic tier in SEC territory but no decision on what tier it will be on elsewhere.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by RBost:

The way I read it is that it will be on the basic tier in SEC territory but no decision on what tier it will be on elsewhere.

Got it, I just re-read it and you are correct. I misread it.
Reyr
join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE

Reyr to RBost

to RBost
Yup saw it too on Twitter. No official announcement yet. Key word for me is access on WatchESPN app..which means live HD via espn app on Xbox. That's all I care about. I'm no where near the footprint.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to charliewatts

to charliewatts
It really depends on how good your team is. I don't have any trouble finding Alabama games but I'm sure that Kentucky and Vandy football games are not as widely carried so they will probably end up on the SEC Network more often.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

2 edits

2 recommendations

Betamax76 to RBost

to RBost
said by RBost:

My guess is that it will be located on the Ultimate Tier outside of the SEC footprint, but unlike the LongHorn Network, it will be HD in all markets. This will allow Verizon to send it MPEG-4 and only take up 20% of a QAM carrier. In Tampa/St. Pete and North Texas, it will be on the Preferred HD tier in MPEG-2 since channel space for those two VHOs is plentiful.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Oh Beta-
I love how you think. Now, only if that comes true.
RBost
Richmond, VA

RBost

Still no official statement from Vz or SEC and, as Yogi Berra would say, " it aint official til it's official".
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

Probably waiting to make sure the check clears.
Reyr
Wilmington, DE

Reyr to RBost

to RBost
Yeah I keep checking for the official announcement. I have the Ultimate package so I should be good. IT would be awesome if it's HD for all. Kind of not expecting it, so definitely a plus if it comes to be true.
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

1 edit

Acct101 to RBost

Premium Member

to RBost
Looks like it is channel 75 and 575 in Florida and Texas.

Channel 75 everywhere else.
This stinks that they can't release it to HD everywhere.

Does everyone get the Big 10 in HD?
Reyr
Wilmington, DE

Reyr

Where did you hear that?
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

It's on the official verizon forum. A few people confirmed it over there

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· /page/54
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to Acct101

to Acct101
If it is going to be on channel 75 and or 575, at least here in VHO7, that would make it right between ESPN2 and YES channels. Both SD and HD.

Also yes. We have the Big Ten Network channel in SD and HD on channels 85 and 585.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101
There's absolutely no reason for them to give it only in SD to other areas. There's plenty of open QAM space at the moment.

OR - they're still in the middle of clearing up a decent amount of QAM space to have a bigger HD push in the short-term, and are just doing this to please the SEC territories for the 1st game. As others mentioned, TX and FL have few HD locals...

Adding a sports channel in SD in 2014 is almost more of an insult to a customer than not adding it at all.
Reyr
Wilmington, DE

Reyr

I agree. So I definitely will be watching Thursday's game on the ESPN app on the Xbox so I can get full HD.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Adding a sports channel in SD in 2014 is almost more of an insult to a customer than not adding it at all.

I would definitely concur. Remember before HD, Hockey games would highlight the puck with a Blue dot that streaked across the screen. That was so much worse than not having it at all.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

The person who posted next on that forum said everyone will get it in HD but not right away.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Betamax76

to Betamax76
said by Betamax76:

My guess is that it will be located on the Ultimate Tier outside of the SEC footprint

Guess we find out soon and I hope it's also in ExtremeHD.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

The person on that Verizon forum said it will be in Extreme, if he got the right info.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
This SEC stuff reminds me. Aren't we still waiting for the last MSG channel to arrive in HD? MSG+2 HD , I believe.

It just reminds me that a SD channel was launched some time ago, and they said we will get it in HD soon. And we are still waiting.

What if this is the same for SEC? Just a thought.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

There's absolutely no reason for them to give it only in SD to other areas. There's plenty of open QAM space at the moment.

OR - they're still in the middle of clearing up a decent amount of QAM space to have a bigger HD push in the short-term, and are just doing this to please the SEC territories for the 1st game. As others mentioned, TX and FL have few HD locals...

hmm North Texas has few locals in HD? In the Dallas areas there are 16 HD OTA locals. Jeepmatt lol not a few a lot for any metro area. the only thing we don't have is 4 or more RSN's like LA or NYC lol. We have SECN, Longhorn Network, FSN Southwest, FSN Soutwest plus (part-time channel) (may be available 24x7 but duplicate content when not showing games.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

While the channel placement seems legit (and makes total sense) - i'll wait until this week to hear from our resident experts (cough..cough).

Doing an SD now, HD later (which usually never comes) move is a Comcast tactic, not FIOS.
RBost
Richmond, VA

RBost

CBS Sports had been in low def forever and was recently added to hi def. This was a big deal here in Richmond because we wanted the VCU basketball games in hi def.
If this is any indication, it will be at least 4 to 6 years before it goes to hi def. I don't understand why the SEC channel would permit it to be shown only in low def.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

said by RBost:

I don't understand why the SEC channel would permit it to be shown only in low def.

They probably get paid the same either way.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

I can't see paying for any sports channel in SD. The SEC channel in SD would be similar to the Longhorn Network in SD. All feeds should be in HD and those that want SD should receive down converted HD signal.