All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

Cronk

Opinions on Spywareblaster

My friend has twice gotten a lot of PUP's installed that I had to clean up for him, so I am wondering if Spywareblaster is still regarded as a good tool to block installation of unwanted software. I know people here recommend MBAM Premium but he kept having compatibility issues with it on his Win 7 computer and he does not want it on there anymore.
I know Spywareblaster was well regarded years ago, but I hardly ever hear it mentioned anymore. And it has no drain on system resources still, is that correct?

Thanks

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

I use it but not as my sole defense.. most security is more then one now. Host file »winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, firefox or pale moon, noscript, some kind of ad blocker, scotty along with an antiviral and spywareblaster is mine.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Cronk

to Cronk
While I don't use IE very often, I still have it installed and updated. I know that many people are having a problem with MB's newest version, I don't on 5 computers, I am sure they will straighten the thing out in time. You could keep an eye on their forum for information. PUPs are really no big deal, Superantispyware also detects and removes them. Not sure if as well as MB does.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
See my comment to dp See Profile here:
»SpywareBlaster Database Update - June 25, 2014
It grows weary but is still part of my war chest.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
I use SpywareBlaster as one of my security layers, and have done so for years, but I don't depend on it as my main antispyware program. For that I use MBAM running real-time (ditto WinPatrol), with SuperAntiSpyware running scheduled scans as backup. This is on Win 8.1.

My browser of choice is Pale Moon, which doesn't have any problems with SpywareBlaster.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
MSE will detect all PUPs on Windows 7 as will Windows Defender on Windows 8. All antivirus programs except a handful (Kaspersky being one) detect PUPs.
Cronk

Cronk

Norton is another one that does not detect PUPs. Their tech support told me that some people may want the PUPs, so they do not remove them.

Yes, I did use Superantispyware as one of the tools during the cleanup.

Thanks to all for the info.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Some FAQ's on what Spywareblaster does and doesn't do. The mechanics of the software are more complex than what's listed - that's why I still run the software and highly recommend it.
»www.brightfort.com/spywa ··· html#FAQ

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I've been using it for years and still install it on all my customer's machines..........I also install the custom blocking list.
Cronk

Cronk

Thanks Siljaline, that was useful.

ZZZZZZZZ, where do you get the custom blocking list?

I am hoping to block things like Conduit, OptimizerPro, MyBackup, etc. Will the custom blocking list add protection for that type of annoyance?

Thanks

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

»koti.mbnet.fi/pattaya1/c ··· king.txt

not sure but it's been around for awhile.
Cronk

Cronk

That's quite a list, thanks.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I haven't seen a custom block list since before Katrina
Suspect the entries are parked at this point - would not recommend it's use.
siljaline

siljaline to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
Spywareblaster allows you to add a custom block list of bad CLSID's | BHO's

As I was saying - haven't seen or heard of a known-good working list in a Dog's age.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
quote:
Suspect the entries are parked at this point - would not recommend it's use.
Why not..........it's up to date?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

I'm not saying they're bad entries these lists are generally vetted by the developer javacool See Profile and or others at the Wilders board. It's the vetting process that's key.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I was a member on Wilders and still am I guess...........and was pretty sure the author was a member there as well.

I can't remember how it went but I'm thinking it was recommended by javacool and the other mods back then.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Official Javacool support forum is still at Wilders as far as I am aware. So, go over there and ask him in the Spyware blaster forum.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
What Mele20 See Profile is saying, and I think as I eluded to Is - ask at Wilders if this custom block list is worth it's salt or no.
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· orum.23/

TonyKlein
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

1 edit

TonyKlein

Premium Member

The "Pattaya1" custom block list is valuable; I'm acquainted with the creator, and all entries are carefully researched.

IMO it can't hurt to add those entries, if you're using SB

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

thx Tony for that info.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Now that TonyKlein See Profile has vetted this bad BHO | CLSID List you've shared with us -- it's up to the user to decide if they want to add some 8449 unique entries currently not loaded by the nice folks at SpywareBlaster.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

What's bad about it?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

What's bad about it?

Nothing at all - it's an elective opt-in list, is all, I have no quarrel with these sorts of custom blocking lists as I used to use on myself.