dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
davecfraser
join:2014-07-07

davecfraser

[DSL] Trying to Bond together two DSL lines using Tech Savvy...

HI Guys,

I'm having trouble getting MLPPP with two DSL lines to double bond. I bought an Asus RT-N66U from Flashrouters.com and they ASSURED me that it would be possible. Now I'm not even sure if multiple DSL connections are possible (it's got Tomato 1.28 by Shibby installed). I was wondering if I could install say Tomato/MLPPP 1.27 and have success with this router or if I'm out of luck?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

There is not currently any software that runs on the RT-N66U that supports proper MLPPP, so "Flashrouters.com" was misinformed. Tomato/MLPPP is rather old, and doesn't support any modern routers.

For MLPPP on slower lines, your best bet is a good old WRT54G doing the bonding, while using your N66U as your actual router. For MLPPP on faster lines, you'll want something from Microtik or pfsense or Cisco or something like that.
davecfraser

davecfraser

Awesome thanks for your reply. Where the heck do you get an old router? Also there are multiple versions of the WRT54G, which ones actually work?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Teksavvy sells it as do many online retailers.
davecfraser

davecfraser

Well Teksavvy told me I was on my own when I spoke with them on the phone. Online retailers such as..... ??

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to davecfraser

Premium Member

to davecfraser
How fast are your lines? The old WRT54GL is quite underpowered by modern standards (10 year old hardware) its fine for bonding 2-4 6meg lines, and maybe two 15/1 lines, but if you wanna bond 25 or 50meg vdsl, i wouldn't bother.
davecfraser

davecfraser

Hi Thanks for your reply, my lines are currently around 1 megs (crappy rural internet)

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Ah, then yeah an old WRT54GL v1.1 will definitely work.

BTW, bonding with MLPPP works best if both lines are at the same sync rate, and same interleave profile, either both fastpath, or both interleave.

Do you have both your lines hooked up already, or are you just planning for a second? If so, do you know how to fetch your line stats?

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to davecfraser

to davecfraser
said by davecfraser:

Well Teksavvy told me I was on my own when I spoke with them on the phone. Online retailers such as..... ??

»www.ncix.com/detail/link ··· 7408.htm

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to davecfraser

Premium Member

to davecfraser
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· -Product

Here's a link from newegg.ca

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith to davecfraser

Premium Member

to davecfraser
Hello davecfraser,

I'm not quite sure why you were told you were on your own here. Granted the support we offer for MLPPP is a bit limited, but the hardware is a different matter.

As mentioned the Linksys WRT54GL we sell will work fine for two 1Mb lines. If you could please post in the »/forum ··· avdirect forum with your account info I'd be happy to provide more details for you (and look into who told you we couldn't help and why).

Thank you,
Keith

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to davecfraser

to davecfraser
Good info here on setup.

»mlppp.teksavvy.com/index_en.html
davecfraser

davecfraser

Thanks guys! the WRT54GL works then eh? Doesn't have version considerations?

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

I have one that i don't use, PM me.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to davecfraser

Premium Member

to davecfraser
said by davecfraser:

Thanks guys! the WRT54GL works then eh? Doesn't have version considerations?

The WRT54GL is a universally compatible version with Tomato/MLPPP.

The standard WRT54G had maybe 15 versions, with only the earlier ones supporting Tomato/MLPPP
davecfraser

davecfraser

Awesome thanks brother! It's a bit confusing for a 1st timer
davecfraser

davecfraser to damir

to damir
Done!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to davecfraser

MVM

to davecfraser
The version of Tomato that Tomato/MLPPP is based on is old and out of date, but that shouldn't really be much of an issue for the sort of basic use you're talking about. In that scenario (bonding two or more 1 meg lines), I'd suggest using the WRT54GL as your router and the RT-N66U as your wireless access point.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

The version of Tomato that Tomato/MLPPP is based on is old and out of date, but that shouldn't really be much of an issue for the sort of basic use you're talking about. In that scenario (bonding two or more 1 meg lines), I'd suggest using the WRT54GL as your router and the RT-N66U as your wireless access point.

Couldn't he 1:1 nat out of Tomato/MLPPP to the N66U and have it do all the routing? Though with bonding just a few 1meg lines it shouldn't have any issues at all performance wise.
dcgm19
join:2013-07-24
Canada

dcgm19 to davecfraser

to davecfraser
After following this thread I just have to say something. It may be too late but you we be better off using a mikrotik router for mlppp. It works really well and its easy to configure(from documentation online).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
There are various things he could do to have the N66U do the actual routing, but they add complexity: the simplest solution is to just do the routing on the WRT. Normally you might not want to do that because of performance concerns, but 2x1 meg is so slow that you couldn't tax the capabilities of the WRT if you tried.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

There are various things he could do to have the N66U do the actual routing, but they add complexity: the simplest solution is to just do the routing on the WRT. Normally you might not want to do that because of performance concerns, but 2x1 meg is so slow that you couldn't tax the capabilities of the WRT if you tried.

Yeah, sucks to have a nice router though and just have it be a glorified WAP, hehe...
davecfraser

davecfraser to dcgm19

to dcgm19
Do others agree with this ? What specific model should I get?
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

i use the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN in my server room but for something a lot cheaper and does the same thing you can get a RB951G-2HnD

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to davecfraser

MVM

to davecfraser
MicroTik makes good routers, and they're capable of bonding quite fast connections together... but they're overkill for your use case, and they're not user friendly. They're made for IT professionals.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

sure they are more for the tech savvy but they are just too good not to use especially for the price and there is a lot of documentation online for setting it up for mlppp

jaysona
join:2000-03-22
Montreal, QC

jaysona to Guspaz

to Guspaz
It's odd that you would mention that particular setup, that's exactly how I have one of my networks setup. I'm using a WRT54GS though instead of the GL, I like RAM.