Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre

Re: "Hidden" costs with Teksavvy

So how much does a D3 modem cost after the $20 is deducted ?

And does the customer have to pay to ship TSI their old D2 in order to qualify ?

(Too lazy to look at the TSI site right now)
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I'll be less lazy for you. Someone less lazy than I can format it nicely:

Product Price
Thomson DCM 476 $99.00
Technicolor DCM476 DOCSIS 3 Modem Rent To Own ($30 Down Payment + $15\mo for 6 months *First month due upon signing) $120.00
Modem Shipping $10.00

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

And does the customer have to pay to ship TSI their old D2 in order to qualify ?

With TSI, a D3 modem costs $99 and then you subtract the $20 discount which results in it costing $79. The customer does NOT have to ship their D2 modem anywhere to qualify for the D2 to D3 $20 discount, but they do need to have the D2 modem provisioned on their account somewhere to prove they had a D2 modem.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

said by RizzleQ:

said by Davesnothere:

With TSI, a D3 modem costs $99 and then you subtract the $20 discount which results in it costing $79. The customer does NOT have to ship their D2 modem anywhere to qualify for the D2 to D3 $20 discount, but they do need to have the D2 modem provisioned on their account somewhere to prove they had a D2 modem.

Exactly!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Andre, is there any progress on a 24x8 D3 modem being approved? Cuz the current crop or 8x4 D3 modems will be obsoleted too by Rogers within a year I have a feeling, and this will be the topic again.

When such a modem is approved, I would strongly suggest not selling older 8x4 modems, even if there is a bit of a price premium, unless you get a signed consent for that the user knows what he's getting into and that the hardware may be depreciated by the cable company.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag

I'm a bit disappointed at the modem game. Really throws people off, especially when I invested $100 on a D3 modem and only to have it become obsolete.

Unlike the SB5101 which lasted a whole generation, the new modems cycle is a lot quicker. Coupled with the firmware going obsolete as well. It's a bit of a headache.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Not sure where things are at with this.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TSI Andre:

Not sure where things are at with this.

I see.. Well it sucks cuz the longer it drags on, the longer TPIA's are denied the faster 150/15 and 250/20 speeds, though at the current CBB rates not sure if anyone would offer that hehe...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

....the longer it drags on, the longer TPIA's are denied the faster 150/15 and 250/20 speeds, though at the current CBB rates not sure if any IISP would offer that, hehe...

Double Whammy !

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by HiVolt:

....the longer it drags on, the longer TPIA's are denied the faster 150/15 and 250/20 speeds, though at the current CBB rates not sure if any IISP would offer that, hehe...

Double Whammy !

I know, sad state of affairs eh...
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

The CRTC is a 'make-work' project for itself given all the dumb decisions it makes which have to be constantly revisited.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Old people are always making busywork on purpose just to give their lives meaning.

The CRTC is made up of old people, pretty much.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to xdrag

Premium Member

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

I'm a bit disappointed at the modem game. Really throws people off, especially when I invested $100 on a D3 modem and only to have it become obsolete.

Unlike the SB5101 which lasted a whole generation, the new modems cycle is a lot quicker. Coupled with the firmware going obsolete as well. It's a bit of a headache.

Things have changed though. With D2 modems maybe we got to keep our SB510x's a little longer but I can't even count the number of times that I had slowness due to node congestion that was only alleviated after Rogers physically corrected the problem.

With the D3 modems you can almost always alleviated some slowness in your local area by upgrading to a higher channel modem.

The D2 modems were pretty aberrant in their longevity. Analog modems didn't last nearly as long per generation. I think I had a 28.8 modem for about 2 years before 33.6 was available. Likewise 33.6 to X2 and then V.90, etc.
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95

while i have DSL, NOT CABLE... it seems that "teksavvy" seems to bring out the "cheap" in people ... what is teksavvy for the birds? lol "cheep, cheep, cheep" lol...
i was kind of cheap when i rented a sagemcom modem from Teksavvy (about 3 weeks later they offered them for sale...)
of course this was a "blessing in disguise" because the Sagemcom, aside from the GB ports, was/is a POS so i was not too disappointed when the smartrg 505n went on sale. (8 months of sagemcom rental...)

Buy the highest tech modem at the time... (but with the 24x8 modems coming online in perhaps in a year, that is where it becomes a pain to decide which modem to get for the 150/15 cable service...)
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

1 edit

xdrag to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

said by xdrag:

Things have changed though. With D2 modems maybe we got to keep our SB510x's a little longer but I can't even count the number of times that I had slowness due to node congestion that was only alleviated after Rogers physically corrected the problem.

With the D3 modems you can almost always alleviated some slowness in your local area by upgrading to a higher channel modem.

The D2 modems were pretty aberrant in their longevity. Analog modems didn't last nearly as long per generation. I think I had a 28.8 modem for about 2 years before 33.6 was available. Likewise 33.6 to X2 and then V.90, etc.

That's the point. I don't see why these 8x4, 4x4 modems need to be obsolete. There's clearly enough channels available to avoid node congestion.

4 channels is maxed at 150
8 channel is 300.

Clearly, way way below spec of the speed tiers of 30/60/150 (was never allowed on a 4channel modem).

Rogers is without a doubt toying with the modem list and intentionally making these TPIA approved modems obsolete faster than they "have to be".

In the US, these 4 and 8 channel modems are still the majority of the market at speeds similar to what is available in Canada.

I am pretty sure if a regular Rogers customer asked to be upgraded to the 30/60 plans with a DCM475, they wouldn't be required to upgrade to an 8channel

Azmodan012
join:2013-05-10
Chatham, ON

Azmodan012

said by xdrag See Profile
I am pretty sure if a regular Rogers customer asked to be upgraded to the 30/60 plans with a DCM475, they wouldn't be required to upgrade to an 8channel
[/bquote :

The DCM475 is a 8 channel.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to xdrag

Premium Member

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

That's the point. I don't see why these 8x4, 4x4 modems need to be obsolete. There's clearly enough channels available to avoid node congestion.

Its expedient and easier for rCable to require a unit with more channel bonding per subscriber so they don't have to shell out more cash to deploy technicians and truck rolls just to install more node equipment and perform node splitting in all the neighborhoods they have just to be able to produce and sustain these higher speed tiers.

Its a short cut a cop out. And yes it creates more hurdles for TPIA providers and customers alike. Its coniving bureaucracy all the way to the CRTC.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to xdrag

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

said by SimplePanda:

said by xdrag:

Rogers is actually stricter with their own customers than they are with TPIA.

Rogers no longer allows 4x4 modems on any in market tiers, and requires an 8x4 for the 10 and 30 tier and requires 24x8 for 60 and above.

Rogers allows 8x4 for 60/10 for TPIA and is still allowing it for 150/10 for the time being.
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens

They still allow 8x4 but advertise only the 24x8 for 60/10. It is also because their 8x4 options have exceptionally bad wifi and their average customer actually uses it instead of a quality router.

To be fair, I think it is perfectly alright to have an expiration date on older tech on their network. As much as we hate the big 3 here, I don't think anyone can honestly say that it is unfair of rogers to try to get all d2 modems off their network. If d2 didn't have a congestion problem, then yeah, whole different can of worms, but I see this no different than say, leaded gasoline automobiles.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Its expedient and easier for rCable to require a modem with more channel bonding per subscriber, so they don't have to shell out more cash to deploy technicians and truck rolls, just to install more node equipment and perform node splitting in all the neighborhoods they have, just to be able to produce and sustain these higher speed tiers.....

And if you regard the modems as being a part of Rogers' network infrastructure, then in essence they have found a way to get subscribers to make a financial contribution toward the upgrading of that network.

Crafty, eh ?