Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

1 edit

floydb1982

When can I get CenturyLink 40Mb/s DSL

I live at [Removed]Kent, WA 98031. I can't get the 40Mb/s CenturyLink DSL. When will I be able to get 40Mb/s CenturyLink DSL???

[Street address removed for privacy. /sashwa]
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor

You best bet will be to email TalkToUs@Centurylink.com & ask

What's the maximum speed that you can order now?
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I'd like a bit of that, too! My local area (TX) has been stuck at 10Mb/s for what seems like forever...
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I live only 3 1/2 miles away from the CenturyLink building in Kent, WA and when I asked CenturyLink vs the email I was told they have no DSL that far out from where I live.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to floydb1982

to floydb1982
A lot of that zip code on the outskirts of the city has Comcast, can you get that?
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I have the Comcast 50Mb/s cable.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

At your distance, you might be able to get 1.5mb on DSL. Unless they install a remote terminal closer to your location, you won't ever get high-speed DSL.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Yeah as bill said, unless they happen to run any fiber out your way, your stuck with Comcast, but hey at least you're not stuck with Time Warner up there.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Whats so wrong with Time Warner???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to billaustin

to billaustin
But I'm only 3 1/2 miles. How is that too far out to get DSL at any speeds???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to toby

to toby
With Comcast I can get speeds upto 105Mbps were I live but I'm sticking with 50Mb/s for now as it does every I need it to do.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152 to floydb1982

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

Whats so wrong with Time Warner???

I take it you've never had Time Warner haha, they're legendary never upgrade the network and seal it properly mentality has their reliability scores in the toilet most of the time

Oh, and just because it seems like it's only 3.5mi, the wiring dips above and below ground, takes different routes sometimes, and you may not even be actually connected to the CO that you're speaking of.

honestly if you were 3mi from a VDSL box, considering the copper lines are most likely over 50yrs old anyway, you'd have reliability issues out that far, especially with heat and moisture.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

But I'm only 3 1/2 miles. How is that too far out to get DSL at any speeds???

It is a limitation of the technology. 18,000 wire feet is usually the limit to get a working DSL signal. CenturyLink does not like to install anything beyond 15,000 wire feet. The farther out they go, the higher the installation and support costs, which cuts into profits.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
better idea for century link. Install fiber and say screw DSL problem solved.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

DSL just like cable has nodes.. the difference is that the Telco's did not install the required amount of nodes like the cable companies did early on.

DSL can be a greatly viable solution as long as proper nodes are placed and the higher profiles are used, 100Mbps DSL can easily be done with 17a (might take some pair bonding but it can be done)

Now while i agree that an "all fiber" rollout would be nice, let's sit back and realistically think about this for a minute, because do you think that a company who cannot even get past ADSL2+ in most areas is going to just jump to all fiber?

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

no because the company is a bunch of tight wad bastards. Lets see cox 50M vs Centurylink 10M for the same price yeah. They are refusing to upgrade their network to offer anything decent.

coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Well, it depends on your definition of decent, but I wouldn't run around going "ugh, they're such tight-wads" just because 1) they haven't upgraded your area (doesn't mean they aren't doing upgrades) and 2) because I seem to recall the reason you're on the CL subforum is because you odn't want to pay what Cox wants to charge for their services.

Anyway, part of CL's deal is that twisted pair and phone wiring has certain technical requirements and implies certain things that cable TV wiring doesn't. For example, on a CATV system, you can just install a recharger or a signal booster anywhere to increase the distance from the node a customer can be. This isn't true with residential DSL technologies, and even so, that last mile wiring isn't really a shared media on DSL systems the way it is with cable.

So, if you had a DSL technology or another two-wire technology that allows repeating (T1s and SHDSL are the only two I know of at the moment), in order to deploy it, you need a repeater for every single pair of wires that needs to be repeated. This is not physically impossible to do, but it's very expensive. (Also, each pair on SHDSL can achieve about five megs, part of what makes SHDSL popular is that you can pair bond almost infinitely with it, and Adtran makes equipment that's designed for something like sixteen-pair bonding. Most point-to-point SHDSL stuff is designed to bond just two pairs, for about 10-11 megs, depending on distance.)

Anyway, unfortunately without completely re-architecting most neighborhoods to design the service with data in mind, rather than voice, CL's going to be a bit limited on the speed front (compared to the cable companies) until they do move to fiber.

FTTN is a great bridge technology, I haven't heard specifically if the old Embarq/CTel areas that get 10M are on an FTTN setup or if that's like, a copper T3 or something feeding the ADSL2+ DSL system.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I have cox. I visit here because just wondering if they are doing any build out in any other areas.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Well, there is the user here »Upgrade my area already whose local system is supposedly being replaced.

Plus, my account recently said I can upgrade from 1.5 to 7 megs, though that was directly after my bill became available and the web site wanted to sell me brand new Internet service, so who knows what kind of error was happening there.

If you already have 10 megs and you were getting close to 10 out of it when you had the service, (which means it's not very highly congested) then that area is probably pretty low on CL's list of areas to upgrade.

At 10 megs, nothing you can do will make you the sqeaky-enough wheel to merit an upgrade right now. The good news is that the next step is either going to be significantly better DSL (like, 60/30 or better) or fiber to the home. The bad news is that that'll take a while.
Pathora
join:2014-04-27
Marana, AZ

Pathora to floydb1982

to floydb1982
If you live in a rural area, expect the answer to probably be never...hell I can't get anything above 3 mg dl from CenturyLink, and we have no other options like Cox or Comcast (although Comcast serves the fire station across the way from where I live).

I wouldn't expect anything, anytime soon.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx to coryw

to coryw
Yup thats me. Im still waiting on the upgrade so its not in place *YET*. BUT I have more faith then I have ever had with them. So I will hold reserves till its in. In CL's defense, and trust me when I say I do NOT like to defend them but they have upgraded the rest of our loop already. Its really just my area stuck on the older tech.

Also I would like to point out that its not just CL who is involved, its their techs who hate working on the older stuff and also their support cant stand the older tech as they have stated to me on the phone that they cant stand the Ohio area and our older equipment and lines. Its in everyone's benefit for them to upgrade the lines, they are just very very slow about doing it but some areas it IS happening...

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
they are sliding further into the abyss as days go by. Hoping some one will buy them out in my area.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

xthepeoplesx

Be careful what you wish for. I had Insight and now I have Time Warner who so far has refused to upgrade my lines. If they get bought out by Comcast then all chances are gone. So again, be very very careful .
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Unfortunately, it's not hard to find people who actually and honestly believe that Comcast is all of our savior. DSL is on its way out and there's definitely a point at which CL needs to start dropping fiber, but Comcast is far from the savior.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

Yep, Comcast is the savior of nothing. I have both Comcast and CL available here. I choose CL for a reason.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to jchambers28

to jchambers28
CL? Into the abyss? Probably not. Within CL's overall system, 10M is considered pretty good, but even CL has a giant network and whether or not they could afford it, presumably doesn't want a whole bunch of last-mile upgrades on the books at once. For each grand, sweeping, fiber deployment they do, some number of more modest DSL upgrades (say, installing e.SHDSL equipment to give users on 1.5M T1-fed systems access to 5 or 7 meg tiers) can't happen.

Of course, even if CL was upgrading to fast DSL, how long until even 40 megabits isn't enough?

Ultimately, CL isn't going anywhere. I'm not going directly to use the phrase "too big to fail" but I think they know what they're doing.

Plus, if anything happens, CL will buy more territories. (Though, that seems to be Frontier/Fairpoint/Windstream's MO.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens. It's a popular conspiracy theory that the telcos are just going to let the copper rot away, but I can't see that working out for them, especially given that CenturyLink and the other non-wireless LECs don't have much else in the way of business to prop up the whole company.

This isn't a very popular opinion, but unfortunately we're not going to see a solution to the fact that these infrastructure companies "can't" keep up until some different legislation and regulation comes onboard, classifying broadband as a utility, setting minimum service levels, and maximum profit levels, similar to the pre-breakup Bell system, but with data services.