how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stufornic

@82.2.73.x

Moving to the Bay Area from the UK - help me with getting internet

Hi all,

myself and my family will be moving to the US next month. We are probably going to be renting in the San Mateo/Foster City or possibly Palo Alto (If my wife gets her way it will be Alameda but that's a long shot). Now in the UK I have 152mb cable through Virgin. This is obviously super fast and very stable. There is download restrictions during the day so I set all my downloads over night (using sickbeard and sabnzb). There is no cap on downloads once they are done in off peak hours so I normally hit about 600gb to 1tb per month.

What options do I have for ISP's in the area I am moving into? What sort of speeds can I expect? Finally will I be able to continue with the same level of downloading as I do now? We also stream a lot of TV should the various TV apps and netflix etc.

Thanks for you help.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:19
Reviews:
·Comcast
If you are lucky enough to move to Alameda, we have Comcast, AT&T, Fusion by Sonic, DSLExtreme, or Earthlink DSL choices that I know of. Comcast probably has the fastest speeds in the area and at this time no caps. I know DSLX has no caps either nor do I believe Sonic and Earthlink have caps.

Welcome to the US of A.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

2 recommendations

reply to stufornic
I have never heard of any ISP here doing time-of-day based pricing/limits.

The only generally available option to get the 100Mbps+ speed for residential Internet is Comcast, however beware that your "normal" usage would be considered "abusive" by them. Comcast had a 250GB limit and while that is currently suspended they are definitely planning on bringing either limits or usage based billing back in the not too distant future. You may need to upgrade to their business class service to avoid the data cap.

For Internet service without cap consider regional ISP Sonic.net but DSL (ADSL2+, VDSL2) speed will depend on the distance from the CO. If you can find a home close to a CO you will get exactly what you are looking for: high speed and no caps.

There are however exceptions. Some new developments have fiber fed apartments/condos/townhomes with speeds up to 1Gbps. Pricing and data limits vary greatly and in some cases you are bound to use the single provider chosen by the developer or management company. One such provider is Paxio but there are others. They all tend to have in common that they are not installing new service into existing homes.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

stufornic

@82.2.73.x
thanks for the response people.

Do US ISP's not have peak/non peak hours?

In the UK my current ISP - peak is 9am to 11pm daily and off peak is 11pm to 9am. What this means is I can DL's and use as much bandwidth as I like during off peak hours. During peak hours traffic control policies are in place so if I was to DL at my max speed for a few hours I get down graded to 10mb for the remaining peak hours for that day. If I constantly over do it during peak hours I can get cut off.

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

I have never heard of peak/non-peak hours with a USA ISP.

Liebold always offers excellent advice. I hope you join the forum and we see postings from your new American home!

Welcome to the Bay area.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to stufornic
Comcast does have caps for residential... and the worst service there is... OK, alright, I am sorry, ATT should get credit in that department... anyway,

One vote for Sonic if it is available to you... best ISP I have ever had but there is limited coverage.

If you must, and you might, Comcast Business has no caps, better service (whole different department) Static IP's, no port blocking and fast speeds. I have it (sure miss Sonic) but it gets the job done nicely... mail and web servers humming along along with lots of torrents and Netflix without a hitch. They are a little more $$ than normal but if you want lots of bandwidth & speed, they can be the only logical choice.
--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to stufornic
Welcome but compared to ISPS in the UK IPSS suck here. Because expect in a few places they have a monopoly that means speeds are slower & service is worse & it's way over priced.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Tobester
I know that Exede has that. It's only cap free at the hours of midnight-5AM. Of course you would only use it if you could't get anything else.