1) Voice
2) Coaxial
3) Data (network)
4) Speaker - Left wire - Binding Post QuickPort Connector
5) Speaker - Left Black Wire -Binding Post QuickPort Connector
6) Speaker - Right - Binding Post QuickPort Connector
??? - Speaker - Right black wire -Binding Post QuickPort Connector
»www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ ··· te=10251

I wanted to do speaker wire for rear speakers but I am missing a hole in the plate...
How can I do this?

rapamatic
join:2001-12-15
Glencoe, IL

rapamatic

Re: Wall plate for stuff, how can I do this?

I'm not an expert, but its my understanding that the ground is shared in most common amplifiers. In other words, the black posts are all connected together inside your receiver/amplifier. So, you could just have one shared black terminal on your wall plate and two red terminals.

That, or move/remove 1), 2), or 3).

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by rapamatic:

I'm not an expert, but its my understanding that the ground is shared in most common amplifiers. In other words, the black posts are all connected together inside your receiver/amplifier. So, you could just have one shared black terminal on your wall plate and two red terminals.

If that is true, I can buy just 1 more Binding Post QuickPort Connector and it would work..
BillyJoeJim
join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL

BillyJoeJim to SuperNet

to SuperNet

Re: Wall plate for stuff, how can I do this?Binding Post QuickPort

If you're only going to be using 10/100 for data network (not gigabit), then you could use one wall-jack for both voice and data (an RJ45 wall jack). Voice would use the blue pair, and data network would use green and orange pairs. You'd just need to split them out to two different jacks by plugging the appropriate splitter into the wall jack, with something similar to the following link. Yours would be slightly different, you'd just punch the green and orange pairs onto the green/orange of one jack in your splitter, and then the blue pair onto the blue on the other jack.

»www.instructables.com/id ··· tter%22/

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Thanks but I need gigabit

rapamatic
join:2001-12-15
Glencoe, IL

rapamatic to SuperNet

to SuperNet

Re: Wall plate for stuff, how can I do this?

said by SuperNet:

said by rapamatic:

If that is true, I can buy just 1 more Binding Post QuickPort Connector and it would work..

Looks like its not entirely cut and dry... down near the bottom of this thread it is suggested that most home theater receivers do have a bridged neutral...

»arstechnica.com/civis/vi ··· t=176144

Here's another source... my guess is it would work, but maybe check your receiver to see if the black terminals are connected (i.e. do a continuity test on them).

»www.avsforum.com/forum/2 ··· ast.html

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

djrobx to rapamatic

Premium Member

to rapamatic
said by rapamatic:

This is usually the case, unless you are using "BTL" mode (Balanced Transformerless, sometimes caleld Bridged Tied Load) to get more power. BTL amplifier configurations have an inverted signal on the negative terminal to increase the output power.

BTL is more commonly seen in car audio configurations but some home audio amps do offer it.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet

Re: Wall plate for stuff, how can I do this?Binding Post QuickPort

I wouldn't combine the neutrals for the speakers. Even if your present amplifier would allow that you never know what your future needs are going to be. The easiest, and probably best solution would be to put in 2 wall plates, one for the speakers and a 2nd one for the other connections. Even if you did find a way to fit everything into one it would rapidly become a rats nest of wires.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Why not a 12 hole plate, with blanks to plug unused for future?
(sorry, I just realized you may have a single, not a doublegang box...)

»www.amazon.com/Leviton-4 ··· 017QP2Y0

I did this, and have center, LF, RF, RR, LR, LS, RS, SUB, component. I also have another single gang for HDMI. Optical (TOS) runs to a separate plate.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
do a low voltage add on box, and make it two gang
»www.amazon.com/SC100SC-V ··· 07N73AA/

I did that in a couple rooms where I had an electrical box but needed to put in some low voltage as well... just trimmed the drywall back some, put this sucker on, ran wire...

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Thanks everyone for the post's back..

Here is my problem, I wanted to stick with 1 plate..
Right now I have a double plate for power and next to that is a 6 hole wall plate port..

I didn't feel like adding another hole in the wall, but it looks like I have to?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
If you want to stay with the binding post style speaker connections, yes, probably need another box...

There are smaller speaker keystones, that accept both + and - connections within a single 'space' - but without knowing what size wire you've got, or what kind of power you're pushing, can't say if they'll work for you...