spc
Search similar:

uniqs
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Port Forwarding Situation

I'm using the FiOS Actiontec MI424WR and seeing something I don't understand when I try to port forward to my Lorex camera security system that uses the Lorex DDNS service with my custom web address (e.g. mydomain.lorexddns.net). I can successfully set the forwarding rules for the three TCP ports to the LAN IP address in the firewall configuration (192.168.1.X), and Internet connections using the DDNS entry for my Lorex system work. (An nslookup produces my WAN address as expected.)

But after a period of time the IP addresses for the rules change on the router from the local LAN addresses to WAN addresses that I don't recognize, and the connections don't work anymore. Instead of getting the security system web interface when I try to connect with a browser, I get the Actiontec router interface. I delete the new rules with the unrecognized addresses, recreate the rules and all works fine -- for awhile.

Can anyone shed light on what's going on and what I might be doing wrong here?
metalunna
join:2003-06-16
Clifton, NJ

metalunna

I have had this happen to me in the past. since I've been on a Rev. I router I haven't seen it in a while, but my mother in laws router Rev E and F get that "corrupt ip" in the forwarding rules..I use the forwards to access her computer remotely to help her...so when the address corrupts, I have to go re-configure the rules..

Long story short...check to see what version router you have (ex .. E , F or I). My "I" behaves but previous versions don't. I have no other solution on how to fix the problem
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

It's an oldie -- I've had it since I got FiOS in December 2007.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to PJL

to PJL
No idea if it's related but what range of IPs are you using. There are some i think just above 100 that are reserved for STB addresses. Using those can cause odd behaviours.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I'm using the range assigned by the router, in this case the LAN address is 192.168.1.11. So I'm not in the forbidden range.
LY
join:2010-12-17

LY to PJL

to PJL
Is UPNP enabled? That could explain new port forwarding rules showing up.

I've personally never had an issue with my Actiontec Rev D router. Use port forwarding for bittorrent, etc. Have never really had to revisit the rules. I do have UPNP disabled in the router settings.

Also, consider setting up static IP assignment, there should be instructions in the FAQ for that. Before I did that, I did notice that sometimes machines in my LAN would switch IPs.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

The correct term would be a "DHCP reservation", although Actiontec refers to them as "static leases".

@PJL See Profile
Instructions can be found here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How to get the same IP assignment per device
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

UPNP is already disabled and the internal LAN device has a static IP. "New" rules are not "showing up." The existing rules are changing.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to metalunna

to metalunna
have you tried factory resetting and then starting from scratch. The router is definetely behaving odd, a fact reset might clear something that is unseen going on.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by hubrisnxs:

have you tried factory resetting and then starting from scratch. The router is definetely behaving odd, a fact reset might clear something that is unseen going on.

Yes, I tried everything. So I opened a case on the Verizon Direct forum and got SUPERB support within just a few minutes. I was sent a new Rev I router to replace the dinosaur and it's working fine. It arrived over night from Pennsylvania to California. The difference with the new router is amazing -- both the WiFi performance and the speed with which configuration changes are applied and the speed of the web GUI. The only hiccup was that the base for the new router was missing but the old one work. And there were no instructions on what to do with the old router, so I guess I can keep it and use it as a 4-port switch (if I can figure out how to do that).
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

»support.actiontec.com/do ··· idge.pdf

that should work
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

TY. I had not considered using the coax in when configuring the old router as strictly a bridge. I would just have to get the proper splitter and slit the coax one more time. Or do it via Ethernet. I don't have a current need for another wired connection -- the last two device I added that are attached are WiFi right near the router so the speed and reliability is great (Chromecase and Blu-ray streaming).

Thanks again.