Search similar:

uniqs
superkev
join:2002-01-26
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

superkev

My Cogeco IP address is not resolving today

Is there a Cogeco DNS issue happening today? DNS is not able to resolve my Cogeco host name, which is causing annoying delays in my mail delivery, etc. For example, here's a message from my mail server log:

Jul  8 11:55:40 mail postfix/submission/smtpd[3234]: warning: hostname d24-xx-xx-xx.home1.cgocable.net does not resolve to address 24.xx.xx.xx: Temporary failure in name resolution

Here is nslookup output:

nslookup d24-xx-xx-xx.home1.cgocable.net
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find d24-xx-xx-xx.home1.cgocable.net: NXDOMAIN

I tried using a few different DNS servers to make sure it's not just my stuff that's broken.

It means I have to wait until DNS lookup times out every time I want to send an email. Everything was working fine yesterday. Is this a known issue at Cogeco?
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

something funny (routing? remote issues?) was going on earlier, but i seem fine now. did your bind configuration change perhaps?
superkev
Hamilton, ON

superkev

I'm pretty sure it's a Cogeco issue. My bind configuration hasn't changed. Plus, I've tried it on multiple DNS servers to see if it was on my end.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to superkev

Premium Member

to superkev
I'd recommend calling into commercial technical support and see what they say.
superkev
Hamilton, ON

superkev

I'm not a commercial client. I still have access to commercial tech support?

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to superkev

Anon

to superkev
said by superkev:

Is there a Cogeco DNS issue happening today? DNS is not able to resolve my Cogeco host name, which is causing annoying delays in my mail delivery, etc. For example, here's a message from my mail server log:

Jul  8 11:55:40 mail postfix/submission/smtpd[3234]: warning: hostname d24-xx-xx-xx.home1.cgocable.net does not resolve to address 24.xx.xx.xx: Temporary failure in name resolution

Here is nslookup output:

nslookup d24-xx-xx-xx.home1.cgocable.net
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find d24-xx-xx-xx.home1.cgocable.net: NXDOMAIN

I tried using a few different DNS servers to make sure it's not just my stuff that's broken.

It means I have to wait until DNS lookup times out every time I want to send an email. Everything was working fine yesterday. Is this a known issue at Cogeco?

Why are you running a mail server on a home connection?

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

said by smogers :

Why are you running a mail server on a home connection?

That's what I was wondering.

and this show why you don't.
superkev
Hamilton, ON

superkev to smogers

to smogers
I'm not running a mail server on a home connection. My mail server is in a data centre. However, it does reverse DNS lookups on all connections. When I send mail from my home connection, my mail server tries to do a DNS lookup for my IP address. It can not find an A record that matches the reverse lookup and then delays my mail delivery.
superkev

superkev to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
What did I write that indicated that I'm running a mail server on a home connection? If I was doing that, my mail server wouldn't need to do a lookup to my IP address would it?

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater to superkev

MVM

to superkev
If your authenticated by other means (username/pass) why does it need to do a lookup? seems misconfigured.
Napsterbater

Napsterbater to superkev

MVM

to superkev
Because mail servers shouldn't care about name resolution from client unless its anti spam measures, but if its a client connection with authentication the authentication is the anti spam measure and name resolution is pointless.
superkev
Hamilton, ON

superkev to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
It's standard Postfix configuration. Postfix does NS lookup on all connecting IP addresses, which it then uses for all kinds of other checks. This happens before doing authentication on submissions.

It is also standard and default configuration for SSHd to do an IP lookup for various purposes. Logging into any remote server is now subject to this delay unless the server is explicitly configured to skip DNS checks.

My server configuration isn't really the issue though. The problem is that there is no record corresponding to my IP address in Cogeco's DNS server. This is new as of yesterday. I'm just trying to help out by reporting the issue.
superkev

superkev

Problem resolved by Cogeco tech support. Thanks!