All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lawrencepd
join:2001-07-31
Novi, MI

lawrencepd

[Bill] Non-Serviceable Address (Unpaid Bill from Prior Owner)

Is there a fax# or someone I can contact directly regarding a non-serviceable address (due to prior owner's unpaid bill)? I just closed on this house & and want to setup service ASAP. The address is in the Detroit, MI area. Thank you.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

Most likely you will need to visit your local Comcast office and present personal ID and proof that you are the new owner of that residence before Comcast will allow you to open a new account for that address. Since you say that you just closed the deal for that residence, the paperwork from the closing should be sufficient proof.

Sterling
IP Support Tier III
Premium Member
join:2003-05-30
Pittsburgh, PA

Sterling to lawrencepd

Premium Member

to lawrencepd
Your best bet is though sales, as they would be the ones to put the order in and put in the request to have that address made servicable again, someone from accounts rec will contact you and will probably need you to fax in proof, can't recall what it is, I know for renters its a rental agreement and welcome letter from a util, so home owners maybe welcome letter and I would guess bill of sale or deed to show change of ownership
lawrencepd
Novi, MI

lawrencepd

Thanks guys. I'll probably just stop by their office with all my paperwork and go from there.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry to lawrencepd

Premium Member

to lawrencepd
FWIW, make sure your photo ID also reflects your NEW address. And congrats on your new home .

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to lawrencepd

Premium Member

to lawrencepd
I'd go to the Comcast office with proof the property changed hands (such as a copy of the quitclaim deed that shows the transfer). Usually with rentals it's a copy of the rental agreement showing new tenants but since you are talking owner occupied you may ask the attorney that handled the sale for which proof you may need to set up utilities that the property has changed hands. Considering cable was shut off for non-payment the other utilities might have been shut off as well and you may need to do the same thing to set those up.

I've heard horror stories of new owners not being allowed to turn on utilities until they pay off the utility debt of the previous owner. Happens a lot with water since 95 percent of those are municipal utilities. Comcast though wants your business, they just do this to prevent roommates/relatives/domestic partners from setting up accounts after one has been written off as uncollectable.
lawrencepd
Novi, MI

lawrencepd

I just faxed over the documents to their security department in my area and am going to follow-up with a visit to the Comcast office later today. I'm hoping to get this resolved without having to take additional time off from work.