Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

No more Win 7 support?

So now they're ending Windows 7 support? So this means that with XP support also gone Microsoft won't be supporting what 75% of the installed base is using? I guess this is my kind of company. See: »finance.yahoo.com/news/six-month···286.html
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar···_systems
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Extended support, including security fixes, until 2020. No change from before.

»support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/···=12&y=10

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

1 recommendation

Yes. If you read Mary Jo Foley's article, it also indicates security support for everyone until 2020. The main article seems to say that that that would be only if a paid licensing agreement is in place. See: »www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-of···0031348/
Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020, so users can expect to continue to receive free security updates, but not feature updates, for Windows 7 until that point.
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to takeahike
However you feel about Windows 7, there's not much scope for outraged surprise here. Microsoft long ago published its standard policy of 5 years mainstream support for client operating systems. Win 7 SP1 was released early in 2010. Ergo, it will be out of mainstream support early in 2015. We knew that on the day we saw Win 7 SP1.

The only variable is whether or not there would be an SP2. I guess the answer is now 'not'.

I think Microsoft did us a disservice when then decided to reset the lifetime clock at each service pack; it seems like a good thing at first, but it means they cannot now release an SP2 without having to support it until 2019. I'd like an SP2 even if it came without any extension of the lifetime.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to takeahike
Like others have said, you really don't have to worry about anything till 2020. That is the same "drop dead" date that Windows XP had earlier this year, and by then, Windows 7 will have been supported for 11 years.

To compare: Linux has several distributions that implement a "LTS" or "Long Term Support", which generally is 5 years. Debian (on which a among others Ubuntu and Mint are based) will stop supporting version 6 in 2016, which is their "LTS" version. Most Linux distro's have a standard support cycle of 2 years, after which you must upgrade to get the latest security patches. (of course upgrades are free, which is a factor).

Apple seems to on a 4-5 years support, looking at the major 10.x releases. For instance, support for 10.6 was dropped earlier this year, about 4 and a half years after its initial release. 10.5 support was dropped in late 2011 (release 2007), and so on, and so on. Apple's support is quite "cold" in other words, very quickly after apple stops supporting an OS, main software makers (including e.g. browser makers such as Chrome and Firefox) will drop support. It becomes a task to keep running an OLD Mac OS because Apple will also drop support for developers.

Microsoft support has always been a LOT longer then either if its main competitors for the desktop market, yet always gets the complaint that it isn't enough. Especially for the developer side, they will get support till 2020 on Windows 7, so you will have a secure Firefox and Chrome till at least then.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
reply to takeahike
»Microsoft warns of pending support deadlines for Windows 7, erc..
--
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies

intok

join:2012-03-15

1 recommendation

reply to maartena
In Ubuntu Linux a new LTS is published every 2 years and the updates are free, but most people leave the updates set to update to the latest version, so even the LTS installs upgrade to the latest version every 6 months for free.

With Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS you get a decade of support, »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_En···_history CentOS is the free version.

As for Apple, Every release since 10.6 Snow Leopard has been free to update to, even the current 10.9. Apparently this will also be true for the next version.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to maartena
Not on IOS on my iPod touch 4th gen Expect from tunein I still get updates all the time.

intok

Try getting an OS update for any phone OS from just about anyone. carriers are the ones preventing it. Apple is pretty much the only one forcing them to allow updates.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to takeahike
said by takeahike:

So now they're ending Windows 7 support? So this means that with XP support also gone Microsoft won't be supporting what 75% of the installed base is using? I guess this is my kind of company. See: »finance.yahoo.com/news/six-month···286.html
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar···_systems

mountain meet molehill.

no_hablo

@75.65.154.x

-1 recommendation

reply to maartena
said by maartena:

Microsoft support has always been a LOT longer then either if its main competitors for the desktop market, yet always gets the complaint that it isn't enough. Especially for the developer side, they will get support till 2020 on Windows 7, so you will have a secure Firefox and Chrome till at least then.

You're right on the business/developer side, but "Mainstream support" for Windows 7 ends January 13, 2015. That's just six months away. If I'm understanding the Support Lifecycle FAQ right (mainly questions # 10 and 16), "Extended support" is not offered at all for consumer products. So security updates for Windows 7 Home/Ultimate basically stop coming after January 13, 2015. That's a pretty big deal IMO.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···ifecycle
»support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

But my main issue isn't so much just the support time-frames, but that combined with their shrinking retail sales windows just plain turns people off. Retail sales of Windows 7 ended last year, so it's either buy a non-transferable OEM copy(within the next couple months at least) or go with Windows 8. Windows 7 was such an exceptional product I don't understand the purpose of already discontinuing sales. Support time-frames not considered, I strongly believe more people would be interested in purchasing Windows 7 today than Windows 8.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

quote:
security updates for Windows 7 Home/Ultimate basically stop coming after January 13, 2015

That's incorrect (as far as I'm understanding).
Security updates for Win7, all versions, will continue through the Extended Support date, so January 2020.

IMO, this is more FUD then anything else.
XP, being recently axed, now makes this a good "marketing" time to air this.
And if done in a way that makes it appear that if you're still using Win7, you are all but dead in the water, then all the better.

While it is true, following on the heals of XP's "demise" (what did I read, still the most active torrent download around), allows MS to inject uncertainty into the equation.

And of course all media will pick it up that way too, as it makes for better headlines.

And its not like anyone (well at least me) ever expected (at this point in time) any "great" change (or even any kind of substantial fix) to Win7. (IMO, that would not be in MS's interest.)

USA

1 recommendation

reply to no_hablo
said by no_hablo :

Windows 7 was such an exceptional product I don't understand the purpose of already discontinuing sales.

Because it's 5 years old already. Microsoft typically has new OS every 3 years. Go trying buying a copy of whatever version of OS X was around in 2009. Heck Apple doesn't support OS X from 2011.

Support time-frames not considered, I strongly believe more people would be interested in purchasing Windows 7 today than Windows 8.

Because millions of sheeple are told to hate Windows 8 by so called experts. and instead of seeing for themselves they just accept what some supposedly tech expert tells them.

no_hablo

@75.65.154.x
reply to therube
said by therube:

That's incorrect (as far as I'm understanding).
Security updates for Win7, all versions, will continue through the Extended Support date, so January 2020.

Security updates to 2020 does sound more reasonable. I thought the same myself, as I was typing up my post earlier. Only five years would seem abnormally short, but I can only go by what is written in their FAQ I linked earlier:

»support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

"10. Who can receive support in the Extended Support phase?

Extended Support will be available to all customers*. Extended Support includes paid support (support that is charged on an hourly basis or per incident), security update support at no additional cost, and paid hotfix support. To receive hotfix support, an Extended Hotfix Support contract must be purchased within the first 90 days following the end of the Mainstream Support phase. (The 90-day requirement is waived if Software Assurance or Dynamics Business Ready Enhancement Plan has been purchased for the product in question.) Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended Support phase.

* Extended Support is not offered for Consumer, Consumer Hardware, Multimedia products or Microsoft Online Services."

notice the * bit. I'm assuming Windows 7 versions are primarily consumer products?

"16. What is the Security Update policy?

Business and Development software

Security updates will be available through the end of the Extended Support phase (five years of Mainstream Support plus five years of the Extended Support) at no additional cost for most products. Security updates will be posted on the Microsoft Update Web site during both the Mainstream and the Extended Support phase.

Consumer and Multimedia products

Security updates will be available through the end of the Mainstream Support phase."

Again, isn't Windows 7 a consumer product?

said by therube:

IMO, this is more FUD then anything else.
XP, being recently axed, now makes this a good "marketing" time to air this.
And if done in a way that makes it appear that if you're still using Win7, you are all but dead in the water, then all the better.

You're right here. It does seem to be intentionally confusing. I'm not trying to spread any FUD though. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, and would be glad to know for certain, but their FAQ could be worded more clearly. I think it's done that way by design. Unless I'm totally wrong about Windows 7 not being a consumer product, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

no_hablo

@75.65.154.x

1 recommendation

reply to 78036364
said by 78036364:

Because it's 5 years old already. Microsoft typically has new OS every 3 years. Go trying buying a copy of whatever version of OS X was around in 2009. Heck Apple doesn't support OS X from 2011.

They can put out a new OS as often as they want, but that doesn't mean people have to buy it or like it. Uptake on 8 has been poor, despite a monstrous advertising budget. No amount of deflection or dismissal will change any of these facts: There wasn't an uptake issue on Windows 95. There wasn't an uptake issue on Windows XP. There sure wasn't an uptake issue on Windows 7, which broke records of pre-order sales on Amazon. There wasn't issues with these versions because they were unequivocally and unquestionably superior to the previous versions. With 8, Microsoft is trying to force uptake on a product which is not clearly superior to the previous version.

said by 78036364:

Because millions of sheeple are told to hate Windows 8 by so called experts. and instead of seeing for themselves they just accept what some supposedly tech expert tells them.

When you use the word sheeple you automatically fail with any argument you're trying to make. Most of those so called "sheeple" actually have some experience with Windows 8, and just plain don't like it. Many of them have seen it on friends computers or at store kiosk and not liked the user experience or found it confusing. I've used Windows 8 and didn't like it. The poor uptake rate speaks for itself. Again, that wasn't a problem with 95, XP, or Windows 7. I've sat with users showing them how to use their new Windows 8 computer and they couldn't stand the new UI theme/colors, tiles interface, or absence of start menu. The fact that Microsoft is looking to make aggressive correctional changes to 9 (restore the start menu, desktop UI tailored to actual device type, etc.) should make it clear what a screw-up 8 has been.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
Whereas I use Windows 8.1 Update 1 and with some third-party utilities (namely Start8 and ModernMIX), I have turned Windows 8.1 Update 1 into a very usable desktop operating system that I have no problems with using.

Do I look forward to Windows 9? Yes, I very much look forward to Windows 9 and what it has in store for us.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

USA
reply to no_hablo
said by no_hablo :

When you use the word sheeple you automatically fail with any argument you're trying to make.

When you tell people they "fail" you "fail".

Most of those so called "sheeple" actually have some experience with Windows 8, and just plain don't like it.

I find the opposite to be true. Far too many haters have been questioned about their use of windows 8 only to admit they are only basing their opinions on what they heard.

intok

I'm basing my hatred on using the public beta and doing custom comp builds and repair jobs.

I show everyone that doesn't explicitly NEED Windows Linux and the majority I show it to choose it.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to 78036364
said by 78036364:

said by no_hablo :

When you use the word sheeple you automatically fail with any argument you're trying to make.

When you tell people they "fail" you "fail".

Most of those so called "sheeple" actually have some experience with Windows 8, and just plain don't like it.

I find the opposite to be true. Far too many haters have been questioned about their use of windows 8 only to admit they are only basing their opinions on what they heard.

I was called for a computer job as the people who bought an AIO was having problems. Got to find out it was Windows 8 and they hated it. I installed for them Classic Start Menu. I personally have seen and tested, and I absolutely detest it. I work in the tech field and if I hate it, what does that say about consumer that are computer saavy.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

intok

And you don't have to have bought it to try it, a trip to any store with demo boxes and the buyer gets caught up in the Metro interface when they are just trying to get to the desktop is a major product defect.

I refuse to install "Classic Start" for people as it's a 3rd party product to bandaid over something that should have been fixed by Microsoft before the product even went into internal alpha, let alone beta release.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by intok:

I refuse to install "Classic Start" for people as it's a 3rd party product to bandaid over something that should have been fixed by Microsoft

Then you're putting your own needs/opinions above the needs of the user, which makes you no better than the company you profess has done so many so wrong.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

USA

2 recommendations

reply to intok
said by intok:

I'm basing my hatred on using the public beta

Nuff said. 8.1 update 1 is a lot different than the public beta. The fact you didn't bother with Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 update 1 and still think you can make some sort of assessment is ludicrous.

intok

said by 78036364:

said by intok:

I'm basing my hatred on using the public beta

Nuff said. 8.1 update 1 is a lot different than the public beta. The fact you didn't bother with Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 update 1 and still think you can make some sort of assessment is ludicrous.

I've used 8.1, I do comp repair, I still don't like it. I've moved on to Linux for all of my systems.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

intok

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by intok:

I refuse to install "Classic Start" for people as it's a 3rd party product to bandaid over something that should have been fixed by Microsoft

Then you're putting your own needs/opinions above the needs of the user, which makes you no better than the company you profess has done so many so wrong.

It's 3rd party and potentially not safe to use. I like many others posted in the MSDN forums during the public beta about how removing the Start button was a terrible idea and how bad the Metro interface was, like everyone else my posts where removed.

Microsoft shot their own foot off, it's not my job to reattach it.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

Everything I install after I buy a computer is 3rd party -- therefore it is potentially not safe to use? Okay...

It's also not your job to keep your users hobbled unnecessarily just to prove some kind of point.

My point still stands -- ClassicShell has been around a long time, no need to use FUD to try and prove your point.
--

intok

2 recommendations

said by darcilicious:

Everything I install after I buy a computer is 3rd party -- therefore it is potentially not safe to use? Okay...

It's also not your job to keep your users hobbled unnecessarily just to prove some kind of point.

My point still stands -- ClassicShell has been around a long time, no need to use FUD to try and prove your point.

Yes, because we should all going around installing random software from no-name devs that doesn't have available source code on customer computers without their explicit consent?

Again, Microsoft BROKE IT, it's Microsoft's job to FIX IT.
--

2kmaro
Think
Premium,ExMod 1 BC
join:2000-07-11
ColossalCave
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to intok
Heck, some of Microsoft's upgrades to any given OS sometimes turn out to be system breakers. Pick and choose your software carefully, use the available system protections (Restore and making backups of your Registry, etc) and what's to worry about. Unless of course you're just enamored with picking up 'free' software via bit torrent sites and the like.
--
...then THINK! again.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to intok
I'm sorry, ClassicShell has been around for years and you consider it and the developers who provide it as somehow unproven? The more you try to argue this point, the more you show that you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Stardock is definitely not "no name" so give Start8 a whirl -- I've been using it since the release of Windows 8 with ZERO issues.

Making this FUD argument is nothing but a disservice to the people you claim to be helping all because you have an axe to grind.

We all install software from a variety of sources, most of it NOT open source, and our systems are still alive and well. You'll have to do better than that, I'm afraid.
--

intok

reply to 2kmaro
I work in a comp repair and build shop, we do what the customer asks, nothing more.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

2 recommendations

reply to darcilicious
It took the poor sales of Win 8 to make them bring back the non-autohide start button, clicking it to take you to all apps, and boot to desktop. As I've said before your average user will not know about classic shell, or start8, otherwise other software. They shouldn't have to fix what Microsoft broke, and they clearly didn't ask for a non-intuitive tablet interface which you couldn't run more than one metro app at once. It was a major step backwards in functionality compared to the desktop. The os gui is important, and it wasn't a small change like how Win 7 had pinned apps instead of a quicklaunch toolbar which some people didn't care for.

As far as Win 7 goes, people who have it already will be fine, and likely buy a new computer before 2020, possibly with the next os Win 10(?), may that not be another massive mistake. it's the businesses who will be critical as many run custom software which can be very expensive, or keep an old version of something that doesn't run well on a new os, possibly as they don't want to pay for new software.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.