spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roosevelt

join:2014-07-08

Custom upload package?

I'm currently on the 30/5 package. I'm interested in getting a much faster upload speed, though. Ideally, I'd shoot for 30/30. Is this possible with WoW?

ThunderWaffl4

join:2012-01-04
I didn't know there was a 30/5 package with WOW. I only know of a 30/3.

I've never heard of custom packages unfortunately.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology
Looks like they increased it to be consistent with the Knology area and other providers.

»www.wowway.com/wow/our-products/···t/speeds

3/5 Mbps
Perfect for casual users checking email, listening to music and surfing the web. 3Mbps Internet is only available as part of a bundle offer. (1Mbps upload)

12/15 Mbps
The most popular choice for downloading pictures and music, light video streaming and casual gaming. (2 Mbps upload)

25/30 Mbps
The optimal choice for multi-user households, frequent gaming, regular video streaming and file sharing. (5 Mbps upload)

50 Mbps
The ultimate choice for those who demand the most from their Internet, multi-user households, large file sharing and extreme gaming. (5 Mbps upload)
--
Certified Jenius!

ThunderWaffl4

1 edit
That's interesting. In Chicagoland, they still show 30/3

Allfirdup

join:2007-01-10
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to goober22
not sure where you got the info you typed but when i go to the link you provided i get the following

All Markets
Except Mid-Michigan

2 Mbps
Perfect for casual users checking email, listening to music and surfing the web. (1 Mbps upload speed)

15 Mbps
The most popular choice for downloading pictures and music, light video streaming and casual gaming. (1 Mbps upload speed)

30 Mbps
The optimal choice for multi-user households, frequent gaming, regular video streaming and file sharing; includes WOW! Security. (3 Mbps upload speed)

50 Mbps
The ultimate choice for those who demand the most from their Internet, multi-user households, large file sharing and extreme gaming; includes WOW! Security. (5 Mbps upload speed)

Mid-Michigan

2 Mbps
Perfect for casual users checking email, listening to music and surfing the web. (1 Mbps upload speed)

15 Mbps
The most popular choice for downloading pictures and music, light video streaming and casual gaming. (1 Mbps upload speed)

ThunderWaffl4

Allfirdup, try changing your region to a Florida service area.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology

1 edit
reply to Allfirdup
I got it from WOW's own site. No zip entered. Just googled WOW and got...

w w w . wowway.com/wow/our-products/internet/speeds

Maybe the small print at the bottom, you missed?

"All speeds are not available in all markets."

BTW, I'm in Florida so the Michigan tag is odd as well.

BTW, BTW, this is my speed test as of prime time...

Maybe they are just honoring the Knology speed packages. I've had 5 Mbps down even since I was at 12Mbps speeds.
--
Certified Jenius!

Allfirdup

Reynoldsburg, OH
i cleared the cookies on my browser and tried again, got a map of the us where it asked where i am located. if you look in the upper right of that page I'm sure you will see your market, you can change your location there

for what its worth

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to Roosevelt
WOW really needs to make their product line consistent among all of their markets.

Its quite disappointing to be a charter WOW customer in one of their oldest markets and see that new markets get better offerings.

Roosevelt

reply to goober22
Is there a way to make that link work? For me, nearly ever wowway url redirects to »www.wowway.com/home-map

Allfirdup

Reynoldsburg, OH
when you get to that page you have to pick a market, or area you are in.

devolved

join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

1 edit
reply to Roosevelt
Click for full size
30/5 was introduced shortly before Knology and WOW merged.

I have been a customer of WOW (formerly Knology) since 2010 and new customers at the time were put on the 15/2 tier. After Knology introduced the 30/5 package, I upgraded. Knology didn't have 50/5 at the time, that was introuced to this market after WOW acquired the Knology areas like here in Rapid City, South Dakota.

All the speed tiers (exception 50/5) are what Knology offered in this market previous to the merger.

I suspect WOW decided to leave the Knology speeds as is in the Knology areas and WOW speeds in WOW areas.

My guess is, infrastructure upgrades are higher on WOW's priority list, and once they've completed infrastructure upgrades in all markets, everyone will have the same speed.

Roosevelt

Thanks for the screenshot.

Is anyone familiar with a way to get a custom upload speed with your package? What I was trying to ask in the OP was if it would be possible to, for instance, get a 30 down / 30 up package.

devolved

Rapid City, SD
You mean like Google Fiber does? I'm not aware of any such package.

devolved

Rapid City, SD
reply to Roosevelt
When you go to their home page for the first time, you pick a market your in or any other market on the map. Then the website shows you the offerings of that market. To change your area, either clear your cookies or click the "Change Location" link in the upper right hand corner, at the WOW homepage.

Picking a market puts a cookie on your computer, and the WOW homepage will use that cookie to determine your area and show you the offerings of that area.

The other noticeable difference I see between charter WOW areas and former Knology area is: Knology areas don't have the Ultra TV, but charter WOW areas do.

Samir

join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL

1 edit
reply to Roosevelt
I looked into this many, many moons ago, and they couldn't do it.

So what I did was got 3 cable modems (back when it was 6mb/256k)--yes, three different connections (they can do this)--and then used a multi-wan router (Cisco rv016) to put all three in use simultaneously. So I had 18/768k in ideal circumstances.

When they upgraded to 8m/384k, I had 24m/1.152m

When they upgraded to 8m/512k, I had 24m/1.536m

When they upgraded to 8m/784k, I had 24m/2.352m

When they upgraded to 12m/2m, I had 36m/6m

When they upgraded to 25m/5m, I had 75m/15m

That's when I dropped the other two modems. 15m upload was great, but not for the price, even with my grandfathered pricing.
--
Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike Enthusiast website: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

oh, and you can have up to 7 seven wan connections with the rv016, so that would mean 30/5 x 7 = 210m/35m. Get 6 modems and you're set with 180m/30m.

Roosevelt

Oh, wow! that's incredible. I wish I could justify that. I'll keep it in mind for when the budget allows, though. It's a shame they don't just offer better upload packages.

Samir

join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL
You can find an rv016 pretty cheap since it maxes out at 40mb down. But I would have no qualms about buying one used since I've had two of mine in operation 24x7 for better part of a decade now. You could get the router and then add just one additional modem to help out.
--
Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike Enthusiast website: www.huntsvillecarscene.com