spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jgcjr

@74.192.165.x

[DVR] How to get a 500 gig HDD for Motorola DCX 3400-m DVR?

7/8/14
Last week my 500 gig hdd in my Motorola DCX 3400-m DVR went bad. I Took the unit to the local Suddenlink Georgetown, Tx. office for an exchange. They only had 250 gig Motorola DCX 3400-m dvrs so I took one of those. The lady on the desk assured me that she would "follow up" with a manager etc. and get back to me about obtaining a 500 gig hdd dvr. I have not heard a word yet. My goal is to have more disc space as I am not home allot and I record long sports programs. I would be up to adding a external hdd at my expense but am told that this dvr box doesn't have the software to attache an external hdd.
Any thoughts??
Thanks

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
I believe but am not totally sure that the DCX 3400M has a firmware update that will make the ESATA storage interface functional. Also think I ran across something online about 1TB internal drives can be used with the new firmware. Either way it sounds like you need to update the firmware in order to get greater flexibility.

jgcjr

@74.192.165.x
Thanks. Chubbzie. How do I update the firmware? Is something I can have Suddenlink do?

Chubbzie

Greenville, NC
Here is some information pertaining to firmware updates for Moto DVRs:

How to use a Motorola DVR/Firmware and Software. This also explains how to check your current firmware/software versions.

According to that information the DCX 3400 series newest firmware & software are:
Firmware version: 24.33
Software version: 78.55 - a28p0-5.1008.r-2

Having said all of this, unfortunately, I think you are at the mercy of Suddenlink to update the DVR. Maybe you can try an online support chat with a rep but I'm really not to sure how to request the update.

jgcjr

@74.192.165.x
Thanks again.

jgcjr

@74.192.165.x
I checked my Motorola DCX 3400m and found that The FIRMWARE is:32.42, Software: 78.55 a28p0-5.1008.r2.

I don't think the local Suddenlink office will be able to help me. The manager hides in the office and only answers questions when asked by a verbal response from inside the office....never comes out to speak with customer.
I will call the 800# and wait for tech support. Maybe I will be able to add a eSATA hdd if I get a hold of the right person.

Chubbzie

Greenville, NC
Wow, firmware 32.42 is much newer than the one listed on the website I linked to. The information on that page must not be up to date. Best of luck getting everything sorted out.

Have you checked to see what happens if you hook up an external drive to the eSATA port or maybe even try the Firewire (IEEE-1394) port? The DVR might need to be completely powered off and then back on in order to initialize the drive(s).