how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

machpost

join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

[TiVo] TiVo Premiere Summer Update

When will the RCN TiVos get this update?

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

The HDUI on the Premieres is much faster and more fluid with the new update.

The Summer Premiere SW Update brings:

* New Roamio Style UI to the Premieres and Minis
* Big Improvement in HDUI Speed
* New (optional) Categories to the My Shows list

»www.tivo.com/serviceupdates

Here is a YouTube video of some of the new features:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJmbXU4PlU

--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, ASUS RT-N66U
TiVo Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS & TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME

NLiveris

join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL
reply to machpost

OMG this is awesome!! Anything that makes the HDUI faster is very exciting. My Premiere Quad is soooooooooooooo painfully slow, delivering the same frustrating lag-laden experience one gets when trying to use a 3 year old cell phone. Push the Tivo button, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi. Obligatory audio pop from optical SPDIF, then the main menu appears. Push the Tivo button again to see my shows, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi. Now I can finally see my shows and slowly scroll through the list.

This update can't come soon enough.

Zahl
TinBoy

join:2003-02-12
Watertown, MA

No joke. You have no idea how many freaking times i select the wrong thing due to the insane lag. Bruce Banner + TiVo = instaHulk

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to machpost

There is a somewhat major Aspect Ratio issue with this SW release, 20.4.2

Hopefully it gets fixed before RCN releases it to you.

The HDUI resets at random and after it resets, the Aspect Ratio defaults to "Full" (Stretched), even though the display says it is still "Panel".

To see this in action, you can force an HDUI reset by the following:
Go to TiVo Central
Press ThumbsDown-ThumbsUp-Play-Play

Tuning or watching any SD 4:3 content and you have to manually change it back to Panel.

The setting also gets passed to Netflix, so any SD 4:3 content in Netflix is also Full (Stretched), and from Netflix there is no way to change the Aspect Ratio, you must return to LiveTV to change it back to Panel.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, ASUS RT-N66U
TiVo Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS & TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to machpost

This is something we are tracking, going to be honest here, I'm working on a Motorola Update as well so that's taking some resources.. I'm looking for possible deployment here of the (3.1) software here in September. The code that is being dubbed the Summer update is actually 3.0.. Because of some key features in 3.1 I don't want to deploy 3.0 then come back in a month and then hit the boxes with 3.1...

3.1 is worth the wait.
--
Jason Nealis,
V.P. Engineering and Operations

NikAmi

join:2009-09-12
Easton, PA
reply to machpost

I'm assuming that this is the haxe rewrite. Any idea when we lowly premiere users will see this? I understand the appeal of waiting for a more stable build, but we are itching for anything that reduces the incredible lag in these boxes.

leddith

join:2012-07-31
Allentown, PA
reply to rcnman

Me personally, I would rather stay up to date instead of waiting. Even if it does mean multiple updates in a close amount of time.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

1 recommendation

reply to rcnman

I'm putting together the roll-out plan right now, If everything keeps to schedule then we are looking to start rolling this code upgrade out starting around September 22. If we hit any roadblocks / slips I will let you know
--
Jason Nealis,

tivoNYC

join:2013-11-07
New York, NY

"3.1 is worth the wait."

Thanks for the updates Jason. A TiVo update and an iOS 8 update all in one month!

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to machpost

Android Streaming is coming next month as well...

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA
reply to machpost

So we have had a small push to the schedule, we will be upgrading the D.C. market as of right now week of Sept 30, This release will include code to support Android Streaming and a lovely new feature that will allow you to set up a season pass OUTside of the 14 day program data

Also Three Column My Shows which I find very useful.. I'm looking forward to pushing this code out to everyone

The T6 / Roamio UI will also be back ported to all legacy models... We have seen a very nice performance increase on running the new UI on legacy premiere models.

Jason Nealis
--
Jason Nealis,

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Should note, that we expect the new Andriod App to hit right before we start updating the RCN-TiVo's to 3.1
--
Jason Nealis,

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

When do you expect that to be? Everyone is trying to figure out when the Android update ( We're all expecting an update to the Stream as well as iOS and Android apps) is going to be.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

tivoNYC

New York, NY

Above Jason says they expect the new Android app to hit right before the RCN-TiVo update which is the week of Sept 30th for the D.C.

And since Jason put a SMILEY about when to expect the new Andropid app. my money is on TiVo to release it on Monday Sept 29th.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

That's too long though, can you tell them to make it sooner please? I know TiVo is already starting early signups for the 20.4.4 update.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

tivoNYC

New York, NY

The release is coming at the end of the month. "We've opened up the priority list for our 20.4.4 release coming later this month."

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

Questions customers ask me: When is the Stream getting the update? Will the Android and iOS apps get updated too? Will HAXE or MPEG-DASH be implemented? Will the mobile apps get updated to use the same color scheme as the Roamio and Premiere uses post 20.4.2 update? When will the proxy server used for OOH streaming be gotten rid of in favor of port forwarding for better streaming quality?