uniqs

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

[Caps] Comcast Data Caps needs to end

Hi I'm a current Time Warner Cable customer and going to be swapped soon to become Comcast. I currently have the turbo tier for internet and I know I'm going be dealing with data caps. Data caps need to end because it's a unlimited resource and Comcast is trying to making you think it's a limited resource. Is there any way we can stop this bullshit.
mike31US
join:2013-08-15
Orting, WA

mike31US

[Caps] Re: Comcast Data Caps needs to end

You may want to check this exsisting thread out - »[Caps] Comcast 300Gb data caps, How long can they do this?

Orlando 57
@69.241.126.x

Orlando 57 to OpTiC

Anon

to OpTiC
Just wondering why you think data is an unlimited resource? Isn't that what Netflix thought?
Expand your moderator at work

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC

Yes it is called business class

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I know that is designed for office building

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC

Re: Comcast Data Caps needs to end

Not necessary now. Lots of dslr members have business class internet for that reason.
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor to OpTiC

to OpTiC

Since it's an unlimited resource, does that mean I should be able to max out my connection 24/7, regardless if that means your speed drop to almost nothing?

Anno
@68.62.236.x

2 recommendations

Anno

Anon

said by TheMayor:

Since it's an unlimited resource, does that mean I should be able to max out my connection 24/7, regardless if that means your speed drop to almost nothing?

Sure, I was sold 100+Mbps package. If me maxing mine out 24/7 impacts you I guess the provider should either A) Upgrade or B) don't sell more service you can't deliver.

I would say C) Charge more but the USA is already one of the highest priced lowest speed places, so that's already happening.

Do your lights turn off if your neighbor turns on every light and plugs something into every socket he has?

Now grant it these are not 1:1 comparisons. Almost everything is oversold these days, internet, power, water etc. it's done based on assumption that not everyone will be maxing out. BUT if I buy unlimited data at a datacenter for a server and it's only 50 bucks, well they are counting on me to either not use it much, or to be using the excess others aren't using. Home internet is the same way. You invest/upgrade your infrastructure to support the demand.

Doubling speeds isn't any sort of upgrade, docsis3 is not new and most Comcast areas have been 8DS channel for a long time, and US, well they aren't increasing those much. New blast, 105x10Mb, lmao joke!

Now grant it, I don't agree with the "unlimited" resource the way some people are looking at it but if you're selling a service you better be able to deliver it if I want it, if not invest/upgrade your stuff.

Giving free speed doubles etc. isn't investing in anything, because along with those yearly speed increases I am seeing 1-3x a year some sort of price increase along with new mandatory caps/limits etc. So while my bill keeps going up, you give me a way to hit those limits faster, how is that advancement?

I agree it cost money, man power etc. to do and maintain this stuff, but that's what our monthly fees are for, which again, are among the highest in the world for the low speeds you get.

It costs very little for a large provider like Comcast to have 100Ge links, especially considering they are all over and avoid very hard peering so even more so it's all on-net.

The whole problem is prices. For the prices we pay for internet it should be unlimited.
They should cap lower priced plans for people who don't want to use as much.

$76.95 for standard Blast internet should be unlimited.
Maybe offer it for 49.99 with 100GB cap or something.
Then everyone who cries why should they pay for your data can go on lower plan.

Instead, Comcast uses business class as a way to get more money out of you, price increase without doing anything, go to business class for unlimited. hahah.

It's sad.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to OpTiC

to OpTiC
Given TWC's past history with attempting to implement data caps, I believe that the only reason they aren't doing it already is because they don't want to take the hit themselves. They want Comcast to do it once they take over.

»Time Warner Cable Eyeing Overage Charges?

So really, you're probably screwed either way, OP.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to Anno

Premium Member

to Anno
I completely agree with you there Anno! Comcast has more money than they'll ever know what to do with and they could easily be COMPLETELY UNLIMITED without hurting their pocketbooks at all. They did it for all those years before caps were first put in place and they could do it again.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
I fortunately have options between Verizon Fios or Time Warner Cable.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

Re: [Caps] Comcast Data Caps needs to end

I advise everyone start protesting about caps and will start at Comcast headquarters. That happens with Time Warner Cable data caps and they stop capping users 40gb

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

For over 10 years I was a Comcast customer.... was loyal, and stuck around longer than I should have. The point is, TDS strung fiber in the neighborhood over 3 years ago, and I just don't know why I didn't switch sooner because with TDS, there are no Stinking CAPS with their fiber service! No one screws with your packets going out or coming in..... I didn't realize how crappy it was until I switched. Sorry to the folks who don't have a choice.

Do what you can to find alternatives...
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to OpTiC

to OpTiC

Re: [Caps] Re: Comcast Data Caps needs to end

said by OpTiC :

Looks like you're going to be switching to fios, then.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I will be doing that after the merger. I have a ont at the side of my house and it will be a plug and play. I will still keep tv services for cable.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

If I had FIOS as a choice I would never be with time warner cable nor Comcast. I don't get why on earth anyone would stay with such a slow unreliable POS like TWC when they could go to FIOS.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by why60loss:

If I had FIOS as a choice I would never be with time warner cable nor Comcast. I don't get why on earth anyone would stay with such a slow unreliable POS like TWC when they could go to FIOS.

I have both, I really dont see any difference.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss
I thinking to switch to fios after the TWC comcast merger.

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Funny how your first post made it sound like you were for sure going to Comcast.
said by OpTiC :

Hi I'm a current Time Warner Cable customer and going to be swapped soon to become Comcast. I currently have the turbo tier for internet and I know I'm going be dealing with data caps. Data caps need to end because it's a unlimited resource and Comcast is trying to making you think it's a limited resource. Is there any way we can stop this bullshit.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by why60loss:

I have both, I really dont see any difference.

Hob

I could tell right away that 105/10 on Comcast was better than 15/1 from Time warner cable. Don't have to deal with internet that acts like it's from 1995 anymore.

You want to know what AOL from 1995 and TWC have in common?

1) They both gave me tons of 404 errors

2) They both like to shut off your service well just because.

3) They both only know how to upsell in order to "fix" your service issues. (TWC really, really, really really really really wanted to sell me turbo every one of the 20+ times I called about the service not working. Still piss's me off when I think about it. Like no I don't want to upgrade, I want what we pay for to work.)

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger

Re: Comcast Data Caps needs to end

I know the problems is that they are trying to nickle and dime you every penny you're worth. If this doesn't stop Verizon fios will be capped.
OpTiC

OpTiC to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss

Re: [Caps] Re: Comcast Data Caps needs to end

said by why60loss:

I'm staying with them because of the Maxx upgrades.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC

Re: [Caps] Comcast Data Caps needs to end

All in all and I've said this in some other thread before and anyone with basic networking knowledge should know this, data caps are now officially a way of saying "we are too lazy to maintain our network and we can get more money quicker by putting a cap on your data. So our network won't blow up and we get more money and everyone is happy. Except for you, the customer of course but who gives a shit?"

Bandwidth is a way of controlling electricity for use as a conveyance from one device to another. How fast we send it is why there is always a need for upgrading and maintaining the network. So in that regard it is "unlimited" as long as there is electricity flowing from both devices and how fast both devices are. It all falls on the service provider. There is no excuse for data caps.
Like someone above said, do not provide something you can't provide.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by MDA:

All in all and I've said this in some other thread before and anyone with basic networking knowledge should know this, data caps are now officially a way of saying "we are too lazy to maintain our network and we can get more money quicker by putting a cap on your data. So our network won't blow up and we get more money and everyone is happy. Except for you, the customer of course but who gives a shit?"

Bandwidth is a way of controlling electricity for use as a conveyance from one device to another. How fast we send it is why there is always a need for upgrading and maintaining the network. So in that regard it is "unlimited" as long as there is electricity flowing from both devices and how fast both devices are. It all falls on the service provider. There is no excuse for data caps.
Like someone above said, do not provide something you can't provide.

It's a way of saying fuck the internet and use less of it. That not how it works. Instead of building up the infrastructure and being more future proof they put a cap a way of saying the reason why it's slow because you're using too much of it. The internet successfully replace encyclopedia and libraries. I can't remember when did I do research from the library now I do my research on the internet. The internet is a necessity for life. If it's necessary it shouldn't be taxed the way it is.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I for one understand that for comcast to maintain a connection that allows everyone to download 105/20 would mean a huge investment. A investment that doesnt allow them to sell any connection for 50 dollars a month. In return, im fine with them having a cap. No problem what so ever. If you dont like it you have choices. Go somewhere else for service or get a commercial account which doesnt have the caps.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

1}The internet successfully replace encyclopedia and libraries.
2}I can't remember when did I do research from the library
now I do my research on the internet.
3}The internet is a necessity for life.
4}If it's necessary it should be taxed the way it is.

Statements 1 and 2 show the convenience of at least 1 home internet connection
since it is a convenience, it is not a necessity so statement 3 is false and statement 4 is a incorrect statement as to why things are taxed.
your earlier statements about have both FiOS and cable HSI available shows that you have at least 2 competing services.

consider any overages an convenience fee for not having to go to a physical library anymore.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

said by OpTiC :

1}The internet successfully replace encyclopedia and libraries.
2}I can't remember when did I do research from the library
now I do my research on the internet.
3}The internet is a necessity for life.
4}If it's necessary it should be taxed the way it is.

Statements 1 and 2 show the convenience of at least 1 home internet connection
since it is a convenience, it is not a necessity so statement 3 is false and statement 4 is a incorrect statement as to why things are taxed.
your earlier statements about have both FiOS and cable HSI available shows that you have at least 2 competing services.

consider any overages an convenience fee for not having to go to a physical library anymore.

You need to learn if internet is necessary for life it shouldn't be taxed the way it is.