All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
peste196
join:2008-06-11

peste196

Attempt of ditching receiver fees

i was planning on putting verizon fios tv at my house however i noticed that they rip people off with their receiver fees and im trying to get around it. I hard about hdhomerun prime however i got a couple of questions regarding it. I someone know any other boxes that might be better then the hdhomerun please tell me about it

1) Is 1 cable card enough to view 3 different channels on 3 different tvs? would that be just the $4.99 fee or do i have to multiply that by3?

2) I currently just have fios for internet and they connected my house through ethernet and not coax, would i have to have them change their installation or is it just compatible with the ethernet?

3)Do i need the computer always on for it to work or do i just need it for viewing the guide and recording

4)When viewing through roku, samsung smart tv, ps3 is it possible to change the channel? How does it work with chromecast since their is no remote?

5) I noticed is says is streams sd per wifi, its really not possible to stream hd with wireless n or ac?

6) i see that it only outputs through ethernet, is it possible to maybe somehow to get some type of converter to convert ethernet to coax and then connect it straight to the tv or am i wishing for too much?

thanks in advance
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

These sound more like HD Homerun questions. not fios questions..
There are likely HD homerun forums out there.

Verizon only provides the cable cards now that are multistream so you should only need 1 as long as your device can work with multistream cards

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to peste196

MVM

to peste196
1) That depends on how many tuners the HD Homerun has. The VZ cablecard can decrypt upto 6 streams.

2) The internet is compatible. You need coax of course to feed the HD Homerun.

6) See the discussion in this thread:
»[STB] Ethernet to COAX to get rid of cables going through whole apartment
tongyang
join:2003-07-18
Alexandria, VA

tongyang to peste196

to peste196
1) Yes, you just need 1 cable card = $4.99 only
2) Ethernet only is fine (you'll need coax for the video source to the HDHomerun)
3) You don't need a computer for HDHomerun to work at all.
4) The channels show up like a list of files if you have used DLNA before. Each channel is a "file". You select the different "file" to change the channel.
For chromecast it depends on the app on your android tablet/phone.
5) I wouldn't stream with wireless. HDHomerun Prime streams the native video stream (mpeg2) and you need a lot of bandwidth to get good video output
6) Use a moca-ethernet adapter

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to peste196

Premium Member

to peste196
Your missing the part that each TV needs a DLNA device, like a WD Live. Unfortunately, Ruko's only do Mpeg 4 so they don't work with HDHomerun and starting a steam requires something like a tablet, unless the TV has DLNA built in

Each stream needs 15mbs, so you will need to be wired Ethernet.

In the end, all this extra hardware isn't free, you have to go a year or two before not having and STB from Verizon is lower cost

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

Your missing the part that each TV needs a DLNA device, like a WD Live. Unfortunately, Ruko's only do Mpeg 4 so they don't work with HDHomerun and starting a steam requires something like a tablet, unless the TV has DLNA built in

Each stream needs 15mbs, so you will need to be wired Ethernet.

In the end, all this extra hardware isn't free, you have to go a year or two before not having and STB from Verizon is lower cost

if it's like Tivo, with a properly setup wireless network there are no issues. With my three tiVo Minis and a Roamio Pro. From a user perspective, whether I use Ethernet, MoCA, or wireless the results are the same. They are all rock solid with zero issues.

But again you need a properly setup wireless network. Which means mutliple Access Points, no congestion at each AP, and no crowded channels.