EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

f2p quick question

Watching the other thread, who does f2p right, brings a question to mind; my son has started playing clash of clans, seems to enjoy it. I get a chuckle out of the tv commercial.
How can someone offer the game for free, yet advertise on tv? What is the hidden driver of revenue?
--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
~ Project Hope ~

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Clash of clans has in app purchases. I don't know what all of them are but for some of them its like wait x hours to do a thing or pay $x to not have to wait. Lots of people do not want to wait so they pay.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4

So it's like Candy Crush and Farm Heroes then?

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I don't know how those work so I can't say yes or no to that.

cheesyyellow

join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA
reply to EUS

I hate to say it but micro transactions are the future of gaming.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Future? its already more than common place in cod and the like. Its the now.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to El Quintron

A little more aggressive though. It is pretty much pay to continue playing / win.

I personally hate all these 'free' games in the android marketplace. I don't trust them adware wise (just look at the requested permissions on most of them) and I certainly don't like the idea of paying to win. I would rather just outright buy a game, alas I know I am a minority especially when it comes to the amount of casual gamers who play tablet/phone games.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

said by Ryan:

A little more aggressive though. It is pretty much pay to continue playing / win.

I personally hate all these 'free' games in the android marketplace. I don't trust them adware wise (just look at the requested permissions on most of them) and I certainly don't like the idea of paying to win. I would rather just outright buy a game, alas I know I am a minority especially when it comes to the amount of casual gamers who play tablet/phone games.

I agree with you, and which is why I pretty much have given up on any games on android. it's like shareware that you can never really buy...no thanks, especially given that there are a really small amount of games on their that actually would warrant paying for, in terms of good game play and originality.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Ryan

said by Ryan:

It's available for iphone as well.
For this device, adware doesn't bother me, it's my son's tablet, his user is locked down, my user never goes onto the thing, there's nothing to glean from this tablet that would be of any use to any marketing corp, unless they like mis-information (fake names, ages, etc).
Now my gaming box on the other hand....
--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
~ Project Hope ~

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Koil

I steer clear of those types of games too. I'd rather have an ad than a long wait or it bugging me to ask my friends to play. That said I just picked up Baldur's Gate for my Galaxy S5. I've also picked up A Bard's Tale and Final Fantasy whatever sequel it is. Those games cost a pretty penny comparatively but at least they're complete. I have trouble with the tiny tiny screen (still haven't jumped on the tablet bandwagon) but in a waiting room or bored at work it's better than nothing.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

Ha! I picked up Baldur's Gate and have the exact same issue...not very easy to play on my S3, but it is better than nothing.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Koil:

Ha! I picked up Baldur's Gate and have the exact same issue...not very easy to play on my S3, but it is better than nothing.

I've had Bard's Tale on my S4 and Tablet for a while, I'm enjoying it. For me this stuff is great on transit, if you have to spend an hour each way on a subway, this certainly makes it easier.

EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Koil

I ended up having to dig a stylus out of my desk to play. My fat fingers couldn't click on one tiny stick figure versus another when they are approximately 2mms apart. One day I will get a galaxy tab or something but honestly I don't need one so that makes it hard to pony up the cash for it.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Same here, plus with the little amount of time I actually play on my phone (why, when I have my PC? MASTER RACE CHECKING IN), its definitely hard to justify.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

Watching the other thread, who does f2p right, brings a question to mind; my son has started playing clash of clans, seems to enjoy it. I get a chuckle out of the tv commercial.
How can someone offer the game for free, yet advertise on tv? What is the hidden driver of revenue?

The "hidden" driver of revenue, as stated is the micro transactions within the game. Sure you can playe the basic game for free, but there are many many things that you can buy to make your experience more fun and/or less time consuming(leveling wise and such).

A good example of how F2P can work is Lord of the Rings Online. When they went from a subscription based model to a F2P model, their revenue TRIPLED. They are also a good example of F2P done right. You can play the game purely F2P if you put the efford in to earning the Turbine Points within the game by gaining achievements and such. It's hard but doable. However, you can also just buy points(or still sub to the game for which you get an allotment of new points each month) and use then to help you level faster and easier, plus all the cosmetic/travel/mounts related things you can think of. You can also use them to buy various new content/quest paks and such.

F2P done right is a money maker. The key is, it's gotta be done right.