lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

Anyone have the Linksys WUMC710 Wireless AC Universal Media Connector?

I need a new router. I was originally going to go with an ASUS AC router, but I've now turned my attention to the Linksys WRT1900AC.

I use my iMac wirelessly, but it does not have an AC Card in it. I was thinking of getting the WRT1900AC and the WUMC710, »store.linksys.com/Linksys-Bridge···wcat.htm and wire the Media Connector to my iMac via Ethernet.

The WUMC710 does not have the best reviews, so I'm wondering if anyone has it and what they can tell me about its performance. Or, if you just have a suggestion about what I'm thinking of doing, that would be great. Thanks.

rod_pod

join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT
I have the WUMC710 and it worked flawlessly with my EA6500. Unfortunately my router gave up the ghost and I went with the news Apple Time Machine (a nice router but not as flexible as I would like). Knowing I had the WUMC710 I figured I would be all set to use both on my network, not so. I have tried every configuration known to man to get the WUMC710 working with my Time Machine. No luck. I have thought about going with the WRT1900AC router and if I did I would be all set because I know the WUMC710 would work great with it.

I hope this helps.
--
rod_pod

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

Or, if you just have a suggestion about what I'm thinking of doing, that would be great.

My suggestion is the Netgear R7000 ..... absolutely nothing out there compares .... take that you Asus zealots!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to rod_pod
said by rod_pod:

I have the WUMC710 and it worked flawlessly with my EA6500. Unfortunately my router gave up the ghost and I went with the news Apple Time Machine (a nice router but not as flexible as I would like). Knowing I had the WUMC710 I figured I would be all set to use both on my network, not so. I have tried every configuration known to man to get the WUMC710 working with my Time Machine. No luck. I have thought about going with the WRT1900AC router and if I did I would be all set because I know the WUMC710 would work great with it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere (I think on Amazon) that the WUMC710 works best with the EA6500. I hope that if I decide on it, that it will play nice with the WRT1900AC.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by lordpuffer:

Or, if you just have a suggestion about what I'm thinking of doing, that would be great.

My suggestion is the Netgear R7000 ..... absolutely nothing out there compares .... take that you Asus zealots!

Thanks, I'll check it out.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to lordpuffer
I'm reviving this thread because I just purchased the Linksys WRT1900AC router. The Linksys WUMC710 Wireless AC Universal Media Connector is no longer being sold in Linksys' store, which makes me concerned about purchasing it elsewhere.

Is there another AC adapter that will work with my iMac with OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)? Since I now have the WRT1900AC, I would like to take advantage of it's fastest speeds. Thanks.

rod_pod

Great Falls, MT
You can still get the WUMC710 from Amazon. The ones listed here are new - »www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-···+wumc710
--
rod_pod

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

absolutely nothing out there compare

Fan boy much? You have an data or you just talking off the cuff? I would almost say your comment was a flame/troll.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to rod_pod
said by rod_pod:

You can still get the WUMC710 from Amazon. The ones listed here are new - »www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-···+wumc710

I'm concerned that Linksys pulled it from their store. They didn't replace it with anything, just pulled it.

rod_pod

Great Falls, MT
Yep, I don't see any other AC network extenders by Linksys either. All I can tell you is my experience with the WUMC710 has been great, not one hi-cup. It works great with the WRT1900AC router and I have always been a fan of staying with the same MFG when it comes to compatibility of networking equipment. If I had a Netgear router I would want to use all Netgear branded hotspots, network extenders, etc on my network for stability and consistency across the interfaces for configuration purposes. If you are going with Linksys and want a network extender IMO the best choice is to get the WUMC710 while you still can, for $34.95 shipping included (Amazon Prime) it's a great buy. I might order another one just for a spare
--
rod_pod

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
Thanks.....I'll definitely think about it. Or maybe Linksys is going to come out with another one. I just may stick with my 'n' connection until they do. Or, I may scoop the WUMC710 up from Amazon.

rod_pod

Great Falls, MT
FYI.... this is back on the Linksys store once agin. »store.linksys.com/products/links···wcat.htm
--
rod_pod

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by rod_pod:

FYI.... this is back on the Linksys store once agin. »store.linksys.com/products/links···wcat.htm

Thanks rod_pod. I'm still concerned about getting it for 2 reasons. First is the price drop on Amazon from $160 to $34. Something is not right there IMO. Second, it states that it works best with the EA6500. It sounds like Linksys made the WUMC710 with that specific router in mind.

I'm going to wait until Linksys comes out with an ac USB adapter that will work with a Mac or for another device/connector more compatible with the WRT1900AC.