spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

2 edits

Mont

[Landscaping] Outdoor Timer 90 days of use limit.

Hi , i bought this kind of timer today »www.homedepot.ca/product ··· r/980585 and it say " Do not install or use this product for more than a 90 days period per year. What i would like to know is , is there a risk if i plan on using it for 4 months on 12 volts lights.

Thanks

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Mont:

Do not install or use this product for more than a 90 days period per year.

That makes no sense.

Do you have a link to the manual, there wasn't one on the Home Depot site and my Google-fu has failed me.

/tom

enon
@96.26.101.x

enon to Mont

Anon

to Mont
quote:
INSTRUCTIONS:
To function properly, timer must be mounted in a vertical position with the receptacle facing downwards and not touching the ground. Plug timer into grounded outlet (total wattage should not exceed 625 watts).

Not for permanent installation. Do not install or use this product for more than a 90 day period per year. When used outdoors, plug only into a GFCI protected receptacle. Receptacle should be mounted in an approved “weatherproof while in use” type outlet box.
What an odd instruction pamphlet. Does the product carry a UL or CE marking anywhere? It seems they're just trying to cover their asses because it's not a very high quality item that won't last long in a permanent installation. I would think if you offer some degree of protection from the elements it will be ok.
enon

enon to tschmidt

Anon

to tschmidt
Instruction "manual" here:
http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/GE-15255-Outdoor-Timer.pdf

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Mont

Mod

to Mont
Code doesn't allow a temporary device to be used as a permanently installed device. As I recall, 90 days is the time limit. If you want a permanent installation, an electrician and permit will probably be needed.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

Yes, the 90 days limit comes from code.

I had a similar unit installed from early December to late April (forgot to remove after Christmas) and the pins of the plug had some visible corrosion. I was worried about the GFCI socket where it was plugged in, but it seems to work fine.
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

Thanks , i just wanted to use it from June to September.

Anonuser
join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Anonuser to Mont

to Mont
As per the NEC (National Electric Code) Temporary lighting cannot be installed or used for longer then 90 days. So all of you out their that still have their Christmas Lights up from 1989(my parents), you could very well get fined haha