kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

1 recommendation

[Rant] More Comcast False Advertising?

I saw an ad on TV showing Comcast's speeds. They showed 3 people downloading a 2 GB file on a tablet at once. It finished in seconds. I don't know if I did it right, but if they somehow had a gigabit connection, it would take 16 seconds to download the 2 GB file. On the other hand, they were using tablets with three people downloading at once. Which at best would give them a max link rate of 433 or 866 if they were using AC as the best case scenario.

The best base scenario for 3x3 AC devices are speeds of about 380ish Mbps. Considering it was only 2x2(not sure if they have 2x2 AC in tablets yet, or just 1x1), they top out at 280-300 Mbps at best right next to it. Which in other terms, it would take them at best maybe probably at least 50 seconds to download it as a best case scenario. Yet, they download it in like 3-4 seconds lol.

They were doing the whole invite people on camera thing to show them the speed of Comcast's internet. Since when did Comcast offer over 3 Gbps or higher to customers and have some sort of 24 stream AC gateway and 8 stream AC tablet?

My calculations are probably all messed up lol. But I assume you get the point. It's falsely showing speeds and the devices are probably running some type of program that just emulates a fake download to make people believe it's actually downloading 2 GB in seconds lol.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-lmUSQEERM

biotech

@75.53.120.x
It's Comcast.... What do you expect?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
said by biotech :

It's Comcast.... What do you expect?

Heh

crucialcolin

join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA
reply to Darknessfall
Yup they've been running that comcercial for quite some time here now.

I especially like the so flippin fast lady. It reminds me of all shoddy poorly made infomercials. She was really excited to boot

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by crucialcolin:

Yup they've been running that comcercial for quite some time here now.

I especially like the so flippin fast lady. It reminds me of all shoddy poorly made infomercials. She was really excited to boot

lol

crucialcolin

join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA
reply to Darknessfall
Pretty sure the fastest in home wifi part is incorrect as well as I'm almost positive their gateway only support's up to N. Thus there are faster third party routers out there with AC.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by crucialcolin:

Pretty sure the fatest in home wifi part is incorrect as well as I'm almost positive their gateway only support's N. Thus there are faster third party routers out there with AC.

Yeah, currently they have an AC gateway, but it hasn't been released or annouced yet. The best they have currently available is the DPC3939(widespread enough).

They're going off the test of the different ISP gateways which was sort of silly. I think they compared it to a G gateway and two 2x2 Verizon routers.

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO
reply to Darknessfall
I just saw this tonight, I like how they show that tablet downloading a 2GB file in like seconds. Wish my Comcast could do that

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by powerspec88:

I just saw this tonight, I like how they show that tablet downloading a 2GB file in like seconds. Wish my Comcast could do that

I wish Comcast could do that too :P. What a coincidence that we both saw it tonight lol.

videomatic3

join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to Darknessfall
from what i saw in the commercial, they were just advertising the fastest wifi, not the fastest internet, they were probably downloading it locally

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by videomatic3:

from what i saw in the commercial, they were just advertising the fastest wifi, not the fastest internet, they were probably downloading it locally

Even then, it would be impossible for them to download that fast with their current residential equipment.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to videomatic3
Click for full size
said by Darknessfall:

said by videomatic3:

Even then, it would be impossible for them to download that fast with their current residential equipment.

Yes, that's what the Comcast lady says ("Xfinity delivers the fastest in-home Wi-Fi") and it shows that all of the devices are unwired. (However, the text displayed just says "Real People Experiencing Xfinity Internet" and not "our in-home Wi-Fi.")

But, then how many residential customers have their own local, network-attached storage (NAS) device to be able to allow the downloading at those (apparently) displayed speeds, even with using the fastest, currently available wireless gateways as Darknessfall See Profile said.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Darknessfall
It's "dramatized" for TV.

also disclaimer: "Trained advertising liars, do not attempt this at home."

--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by pokesph:

also disclaimer: "Trained advertising liars, do not attempt this at home."

I feel that it's stupid how Comcast gets away with fake demonstrations lol.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
I fully agree. They should be at least be held accountable and required to show real-world usage norms.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
When you visit a fast food place like McDonalds, does the food look exactly like the food they depict in their commercials?

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Johkal:

When you visit a fast food place like McDonalds, does the food look exactly like the food they depict in their commercials?

no, but when i visit a steakhouse it kinda does. i'd rather my ISP be more steakhouse than McDonalds; i'm willing to pay the premium

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Darknessfall
That is so fake it's almost funny!

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to crucialcolin
It does. I wounder how much she was paid. It was so faked. On a real cable connection here it takes at least 20 min to download that.

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to pokesph
Also this is impossible with real comcast connections. That's what it should say!

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to Johkal
Around here it kind of does.