Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 recommendations

'Warbiking' highlights the need for better wireless security

»www.cnet.com/news/warbiking-high···ecurity/ from »www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/161856

"A high-tech bike ride around Sydney shows off how little thought many companies and individuals give to wireless security..."

Wardriving, warbiking, etc. What's next? Warwalking? Warrunning? Warsleeping, Wareating, Wardumping? :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 recommendation

So if I walk around in ThinkGeek's wifi shirt, what'd that be? Warshirting?

Regards

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by HELLFIRE:

So if I walk around in ThinkGeek's wifi shirt, what'd that be? Warshirting?

Regards

Yes.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
If I walk around my work premises with a laptop running Netstumbler, I'd certainly call that warwalking. Used to do it all the time to check on the wi-fi, before we upgraded everything to Meraki. Now I can sit in my 65F office and look at signal levels from client machines in realtime.

If I'm in the car with a laptop and a Super Cantenna and I'm not driving, would that be warparking? Hmmm... why is everybody slowing down to the speed limit as they pass?

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to antdude
Maybe I leave an open WiFi because I want clever people to fall into my man in the middle attack. I'm always amazed how much people trust stuff they know nothing about like who owns a WiFi site or proxy and how it's being used.

Dr. Evil
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Chubbzie

join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
reply to antdude
Wardancing? Native Americans were so ahead of their time.

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6
reply to Link Logger
When I still lived in an apartment I left my wifi open. I used a Linux firewall/proxy server and would watch what people visited. When I got bored or if it was April Fools day I redirected their web traffic to different sites. I would set that up again, but there aren't many people near me and they all have wifi in their house.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH

2 recommendations

reply to DrStrange
ROFL
That is almost as bad as a neodymium magnet on bottom of a softdrink cup at highway speeds... It sure keeps the tailgaters at bay by oh about 200 car lengths ....

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger
Yep if your on their wifi or their proxy no amount of phish protection or encryption will help you in the end. At that point they can do a million and one things to get what they want leaving the user clueless.

grcore
Challenge Accepted

join:2003-12-06
usa

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
WarKitteh is in the WILD.....

»hothardware.com/News/Cat-Snoops-···-Collar/

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to novaflare

said by novaflare:

if your on their wifi or their proxy no amount of phish protection or encryption will help you in the end.

What about a VPN and local host file with known good IP addresses?