Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

Fox News trashes landlines in highly misleading story

Just watched a story on Fox's flagship station, New York's Channel 5 WNYW.

Story started out reasonably enough, with a woman from Mashable talking about how people are ditching their landlines and going to cellular only.

But instead of any HINT of intelligence, instead of a mention of even someone like Vonage or MagicJack or cable company phone service---

---Instead of that, they started talking about ROTARY PHONES, showing several types of rotary phones, asking young people if they had ever seen one!

---And slanting the WHOLE STORY to the theme that [LANDLINE MEANS A ROTARY PHONE].

Outrageous poor journalism from Fox News. Disappointed but not surprised.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

2 recommendations

What do you expect from Faux news. They are truly world's #1 in primitive, misleading propaganda.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to PX Eliezer
How about a party line?

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer
It's amazing how little all the news folks understand about technology.

I don't think this is a fox News issue - it's the entire industry.

And its really funny when business folks on the financial channels start talking about technology. They have no clue.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

How about a party line?

Party line is synonymous with Fox.

-----

This station had a noble history as the flagship station of the DuMont TV network. But DuMont went under, and most of the stations ended up as Metromedia and finally Fox.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cb14
said by cb14:

What do you expect from Faux news. They are truly world's #1 in primitive, misleading propaganda.

You are confusing FOX News with the FOX Network station in NYC. Completely different things.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by graysonf:

said by cb14:

You are confusing FOX News with the FOX Network station in NYC. Completely different things.

I'm well familiar with both, I have lived near NYC for most of my almost 60 years.

Same ownership, same corporate philosophy.

If you want me to say that Fox News Channel is even worse, sure I agree with that.

Although tonight's story was worse than almost anything I've seen on FNC.

Equating rotary phones with landlines, messing with the minds of a whole young generation instead of trying to inform them! Seriously fouled up.

brawney
Premium
Frederick, MD
said by PX Eliezer:

Same ownership, same corporate philosophy.

The locals tow the same line (I assume they're instructed by corporate to do so), but this sounds like a local level reporter that had no clue what the heck they were talking about.

So I guess they were basically saying that land lines are "so last century"?

Maybe thats true for a copper pair to Verizon who charges $50 for plain old telephone service... but I have a "line" that I use for VOIP and I get some pretty high tech features for a couple bucks a month.

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 recommendations

reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

[LANDLINE MEANS A ROTARY PHONE].

Landline means telegraph and morse code. ... honestly, kids nowadays.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
reply to PX Eliezer

VoIP is good for your health!

Searching for the story, I found »www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2···-survey/ , which ends with:

"The CDC also found that wireless-only adults were more likely to have five or more alcoholic drinks in a day and more likely to be smokers. They also are more likely to be without insurance coverage, have had financial trouble getting healthcare and to have been tested for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS."

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
I always figured that wireless-only adults were a debauched lot. So, now they've proved it. I'm going to call my friend and tell him ... dah dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah . . . hello?

brawney
Premium
Frederick, MD
said by Ole Juul:

dah dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah

OMG. Did you just use real, valid morse code? CQ

brawney
Premium
Frederick, MD
reply to Stewart
said by Stewart:

"The CDC also found that wireless-only adults were more likely to have five or more alcoholic drinks in a day and more likely to be smokers. They also are more likely to be without insurance coverage, have had financial trouble getting healthcare and to have been tested for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS."

OK, I was trying to figure out how this news story (not having seen it myself yet) on Fox was able to tie landline phones to a political agenda. It seems they threw it all in on the end. Now it is clear to me... all our problems in the US are caused by these wireless-only adults. Gosh... all this time I thought our problems were caused by the idiots in DC.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to brawney
said by brawney:

Did you just use real, valid morse code? CQ

CQ used as a general alert in both telegraphy and amateur radio AFAIK.

brawney
Premium
Frederick, MD
said by PX Eliezer:

CQ used as a general alert in both telegraphy and amateur radio AFAIK.

Yeah, I recognized that CQ morse code from my younger days when I used to tinker with amateur radio. I was never able to apply myself enough to learn morse code. CQ is something they broadcast which means "is anyone out there?" "Calling anybody that will talk to me!"

robbyglack

@67.176.23.x
reply to PX Eliezer

Re: Fox News trashes landlines in highly misleading story

said by PX Eliezer:

Just watched a story on Fox's flagship station, New York's Channel 5 WNYW.

Story started out reasonably enough, with a woman from Mashable talking about how people are ditching their landlines and going to cellular only.

But instead of any HINT of intelligence, instead of a mention of even someone like Vonage or MagicJack or cable company phone service---

---Instead of that, they started talking about ROTARY PHONES, showing several types of rotary phones, asking young people if they had ever seen one!

---And slanting the WHOLE STORY to the theme that [LANDLINE MEANS A ROTARY PHONE].

Outrageous poor journalism from Fox News. Disappointed but not surprised.

PX. to be honest i believe vonage, magicjack and cable company phones have very little to do with the demise of land lines(in fact to most people they are simply another brand of land line company) its 999% about cell phones taking over.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to PX Eliezer
This is endemic of the entire mainstream news media and nothing particular for Fox. The Big 3, CBS, NBC and ABC are just as bad if not worse when it comes to technical issues (oversimplified and completely off-base) or political issues (spreading their party-line).

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to robbyglack
said by robbyglack :

To be honest i believe vonage, magicjack and cable company phones have very little to do with the demise of land lines(in fact to most people they are simply another brand of land line company) its 999% about cell phones taking over.

I agree.

My point is, millions of people DO use companies like that, yet the Fox5 reporters seem blissfully unaware of it.

In metro NYC area, Cablevision Optimum Voice has millions of phone subscribers, as do other cable companies too.

Vonage nationally has a few million customers and is headquartered near NYC.

MagicJack is well known.

My point is---I would [not] expect Fox5 reporters to know of Anveo or CallCentric.

But SURELY they have heard of Vonage or MagicJack. Verizon FiOS too for that matter. And surely most of the reporters have used a cable company triple play package at home including internet digital phone service.

And maybe just maybe they should know that FOX5 WNYW uses VoIP for THEIR OWN PHONE SERVICE....

....(212) 452-5800 being served by the CLEC TELEPORT COM NY.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

reply to PX Eliezer
Wow, another stab at the #1 source for cable news by a liberal, not surprising, but disappointing. Especially considering it was an owned an operated Fox network affiliate. YOUR slated post made it sound like it came from the mouths of such evil hosts like Hannity or Bill O'Reilly. But who cares this is not an issue, just a lefty making a big deal over nothing. This thread made me LOL.

On this very site you see all the time people making fun of landline services and equating them to the early 1900s. So what's the big deal?

Maybe WNYW got the idea from this video?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM

--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to PX Eliezer
Was the reporter hawt?

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
No, she was an old teabagger.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to josephf
said by josephf:

This is endemic of the entire mainstream news media and nothing particular for Fox. The Big 3, CBS, NBC and ABC are just as bad if not worse when it comes to technical issues (oversimplified and completely off-base) or political issues (spreading their party-line).

You have to remember - to some when the words "Fox News" or "Cheney" are said, like Pavlov's dog, they start salivating. I stopped getting any "news" from American sources a long time ago. I find better tech news on Al Jezeera.
--
I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, willin'