All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

datguy11
@100.2.74.x

datguy11

Anon

[Plumbing] removing spilled purple primer from PVC fittings?

I had a bag of a few 1.5" pvc fittings (male adapters,female adapters,etc) and a can of purple primer and cement... Well the can of primer spilled and now there is purple primer everywhere, on the threads, on the sides, etc

It looks ugly, and I am using these for a swimming pool project and they will be very visable.

Is there any easy way to get the purple stuff off? Or should I just spend another $10 on the parts and be done with it?

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

Buy new ones.

I have never been good enough to not get any purple where someone could see it. And many connections I've seen that don't have purple all around the joint end up leaking. So, I go for the gusto and spread it around.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to datguy11

Premium Member

to datguy11
They do sell clear primer.. harder to find, but makes for a nicer looking job..

no way to remove the purple.. its a dye for a reason.

-j

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to datguy11

Premium Member

to datguy11
You can clean them off with clear primer: »www.homedepot.com/p/Oate ··· 02192187

But considering the time and expense of buying more primer, it would be cheaper to just buy more fittings.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to tp0d

MVM

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

They do sell clear primer.. harder to find, but makes for a nicer looking job..

You might double check local code before using the clear. Some places don't allow it. Usually only an issue if you have to have an inspection for the work, but certainly better to know up front.

UHH
@50.138.50.x

UHH to datguy11

Anon

to datguy11
fine brass wire wheel, to minimize marks.
under $5. many places, but labor might make rebuy attractive

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to beck

Premium Member

to beck
said by beck:

Buy new ones.

+1
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

eagleknight to datguy11

to datguy11
Complete the job and buy a can of Krylon fusion. It is made specifically for plastic.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to datguy11

Premium Member

to datguy11
Don't use actone what ever you do.
chip89

chip89 to tp0d

Premium Member

to tp0d
Like this. »www.amazon.com/Oatey-310 ··· c+cement
chip89

chip89 to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
I don't know why some places would't allow it you could always go with white. Code is't A issue if I need to do repairs on what I want.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to datguy11

to datguy11
Reason for purple primer - because it is easy to see if the primer was used. If that is what the inspector wants, do it or you will be cutting it out and replacing it.

Same way sloppy plumbers make solder jobs that looked like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder tag teamed the job. Solder all over, huge drops at every joint and none of the flux was wiped off.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to eagleknight

to eagleknight
said by eagleknight:

Complete the job and buy a can of Krylon fusion. It is made specifically for plastic.

^this

It will sand off with some elbow grease put into it, but once you've done all that sanding, you might as well paint it pretty.