Search similar:

uniqs

serj36
@174.102.6.x

serj36

Anon

[TV] is it bad to have 2 whole house filter

hello
i had whole house last year and the installer put the filter on the wire at the pole, got whole house again the installer and the 1st tech i had was happy with that, this last tech was not happy that a filter was not the splitter even after i told him there is one at the pole, but i just wonder if having 2 whole house filter is good or bad, thank you for any info you can give
G0d
join:2012-11-29

G0d

Other then adding a little more attenuation there should be no issue with it. You should also have filters behind any modem or TV set that is connected directly to coax for analog or clear qam viewing.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

What kind of filter is this? There are different types.

At least around here, the filters that go on the pole/tap are usually the type that block ranges of TV service that you're not paying for.

There are also filters that can be placed on everything but your cablemodem to protect the upstream frequencies from noise. Our cable company was using these early on, but they seemed to have stopped that practice a long time ago.

serj36
@174.102.6.x

serj36

Anon

moca filter i think what ever filter needed for whole house

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to serj36

Premium Member

to serj36
If the technology works the same as the DirecTV whole-house setup (which I suspect it does, at least the underlying protocols used on the local cables is probably similar) you need MOCA filters on each device that does not support MOCA. In my case, I had one old DirecTV SD-only box that needed a MOCA adapter, otherwise it would not work. That unit did not support whole house DVR like the other HD boxes did.

Now, with cable you also have a cable modem to worry about. It's possible that the cable modem signal needs to be separated from the in-house MOCA communication, which would explain the need for all sorts of filters, but I am not up to snuff on how TWC's whole house system works.