SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5

Ant with wings??

Hello,

Last week I noticed couple ants with wings in my family room downstairs, couple of them here and there for about a week..

Today I noticed 4 more by the main door... Is it something I should be concerned about?
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

are you sure they are ants? is the body segmented or solid?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

Hello,

Last week I noticed couple ants with wings in my family room downstairs, couple of them here and there for about a week..

Today I noticed 4 more by the main door... Is it something I should be concerned about?

They are either males or queens, during intercourse time.
If these were black ants (Carpenter ants), you should make sure there isn't a nest in your house. They are probably located in a nearby tree.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by alkizmo:

said by SuperNet9:

Hello,

They are either males or queens, during intercourse time.
If these were black ants (Carpenter ants), you should make sure there isn't a nest in your house. They are probably located in a nearby tree.

I am 98% sure they were black looking.. Crap! Where do they put there nest?
The body did look solid.

On the side note, I did notice them after I left the door open for a good half of day after working on some things in the house.
--

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

said by SuperNet9:

The body did look solid.

Solid body sounds like a termite, ants have segmented bodies. Any chance you can get a picture of one of them before the urge of stepping on it takes over ?

foo11223344

join:2004-01-09
Tarrytown, NY
reply to SuperNet9

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

1 edit
reply to SuperNet9

I will see if I can get a picture later today.

I called the Orkin man and he thinks they are carpenter ants... But I didn't give him my address or anything..

WTF.. How screwed am I?
--

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by SuperNet9:

WTF.. How screwed am I?

In particular, probably not much -- the flying ones will be heading off to go infest someone else's property.

As for carpenter ants in your home (or nearby large trees that will break your home) -- work on taking them out. Recon. Slow poisoning (the borax type baits work nicely). Granules at the the perimeter after taking out a few nests. The powder into any nest holes afterwards if any lingering problems.

Doing this at our new home, should take us a little bit. Of course, determining any damage afterwards will be an ongoing project. Take care of moisture problems, as they will find moist wood and nest in it.

Good luck.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

WTF.. How screwed am I?

Not so much if they are carpenter ants. Odds are, you have a nest outside your home, which is common in areas with lots of trees. There are plenty of tricks to eliminate nests around your home or at least prevent them from growing a colony near by. A lot of it involves borax or boric acid.

You just noticed them because it is brooding season and they fly all over the place.

If it is termite, maybe more screwed, but they aren't black.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

1 edit
reply to SuperNet9

I had 12 trees on the land around my house most of them were dead because of the ash bug. Now I have 3 only within 2 years.

I bought mulch 1 month ago from Home Depot about 3 bags. Could they of caused that?

I started to notice them after the day of doing work in the house after leaving the door open. Can that be the reason?

--

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28
reply to SuperNet9

Click for full size
Carpenter Ant Damage
said by SuperNet9:

WTF.. How screwed am I?

Who knows. The previous owner allowed 2-3 nests in the outside trees in our current property. They also came into the house and ate the header out of our bow window and some other damage in a few spots. Carpenter ants are nasty critters!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

I had 12 trees on the land around my house. Now I have 3 only within 2 years.

Yeah, they probably had nests in there and had to relocate IN YOUR HOME!!!!!!

InigoMontoya

said by alkizmo:

said by SuperNet9:

I had 12 trees on the land around my house. Now I have 3 only within 2 years.

Yeah, they probably had nests in there and had to relocate IN YOUR HOME!!!!!!

Don't say that! I still have nightmares about them. It took me 2 years to kill those #%@^'ers!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to SuperNet9

This was exciting...

Woke up one morning...about a thousand of them flying around the house. Every window looked like this. Took about a week to get them all out. They were very cooperative...they always hung out in the windows. Shop vac handled it nicely.
--
A is A

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to SuperNet9

It was explained to me once that there are two kinds of houses in wooded areas: those that have carpenter ants and those that will.

Carpenter ants are big, really big, especially the winged queens. If what you have are tiny things, then they're not carpenter ants.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

The house isn't in a wooded area..

InigoMontoya

said by SuperNet9:

Ours isn't either. There are 3 trees close. None of the carpenter ant's were in those trees. They were in a group of trees about 40 feet away from the house.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by InigoMontoya:

said by SuperNet9:

Ours isn't either. There are 3 trees close. None of the carpenter ant's were in those trees. They were in a group of trees about 40 feet away from the house.

How did you know you had them? Just noticed the bugs?
--

InigoMontoya

said by SuperNet9:

said by InigoMontoya:

said by SuperNet9:

How did you know you had them? Just noticed the bugs?

Noticed them on the outside of the house. Over the course of a few weeks I was able to track them down. At first I tried closing up the holes in the house they were using to get in. They just found new ways to get in. Eventually I just walked around looking at trees to find ant's based on the approximate angle it appeared the ant's were marching to the house from. That lead to the trees 40 feet away. I found a dead branch on one tree with ants and the other nests were over 20+ feet into the tree somewhere so I couldn't even find them. I ended up using Combat ant gel to kill them. I put some at the base of each tree that had ant's on it. I kept putting it out once a week for like 3 months over the Fall. The following year I still found some so I did it every week for 2-3 months in the Spring. I used something like 6-8 tubes of gel but no more issues............so far.

With any luck you won't have that problem and there's nothing for you to do. Hopefully!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to SuperNet9

Did they smell like lemon when you stomped on them?
(When as a kid, saw a bunch like that, we stepped on a few and they smelled just like lemons!)

Didn't know what they were but they came out of the ground and had wings...weren't flying though...
--
Splat

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to SuperNet9

You'll usually notice winged ants swarming about on really hot, clear days.

Their sole task is to take flight in all directions to mate/set up new nests/colonies. They could be pavement ants, carpenter ants, whatever.

If they were swarming and you left your door open, then you can bet a few would find their way I to your home. No big deal.

If you found twenty to thirty of them, or found them emerging from a crack, hole or crevice in your home, then I'd be worried about a nest in the walls.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to InigoMontoya

said by InigoMontoya:

I used something like 6-8 tubes of gel but no more issues............so far.

To save money, you can use borax laundry detergent mixed with sugar in a 5:1 ratio (sugar:borax) and dilute the mixture in just enough water to make a syrup.

Fill a bottle with the syrup and every other day, go pour some of the syrup on top of plastic container lids located in high population area (of ants) and near the infected trees.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to alkizmo

Trust Me at my house they where everywhere outside & one ended up in my hair!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by chip89:

Trust Me at my house they where everywhere outside & one ended up in my hair!

That's when you call the big boys.
My method was more about preventative measures to stop outdoor colonies from getting to close.

I can't destroy all colonies outside, some are in the trees in the park next to my house, some are in neighbors' trees, some are in neighbor's house! At least I can keep my house poisonous to them.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

Click for full size
Here is what they look like.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

Click for full size

foo11223344

join:2004-01-09
Tarrytown, NY
reply to SuperNet9

Seems to have unequal length wings and a narrow abdomen. That would make it an ant rather than a termite, yes?

StephenRC

join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to SuperNet9

That's an ant.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

Wait, are they just ants and nothing to worry about?
--

InigoMontoya

said by SuperNet9:

Wait, are they just ants and nothing to worry about?

It's a carpenter ant. I have no idea if they are coming from or going to your place and if there's anything to worry about. That's a painstaking process to figure out. I'd assume there's nothing to worry about until you see more crawling around your house though if it were me.