uniqs

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

Re: Microsoft to Revamp Activation System with Windows 9....!?!

I'm just picturing little old ladies (and less knowledgable users) getting scammed,....

You know that scam where they call you claiming to be Microsoft support trying to help you with a virus infection. I must have gotten something like 4 or 5 of those calls and it always amuses me when it happens (unless I am really busy). I usually mess with them for a little while until it stops being fun and then I let them know I know what they are trying to do. Then I laugh and hang-up.

The problem is some people really do fall for this and are willing to hand over control or sensitive information without realizing the consequences. This happened to my sister-in-law in Florida when we went to visit around the holidays. To help her, I had to start fresh using a restore on her Windows 8 system.

Now imagine how something like this would or could go if someone unknowingly hands over information to the requisite Microsoft Account allowing nefarious individuals to deactivate their Windows 9 OS install.

"You can't fix stupid" is a saying I don't much care for but it could be applicable to such situations if you will.

If I am not mistaken, I believe Microsoft's response to this type of scam was that their security improvements have been robust enough to force such individuals to resort to such a low tech attack (paraphrasing naturally). Thats all good and well but how does that help the gullibility of some users that they can't fix,....?

I'm sure some of the nefarious individuals would be happy to fix the problem of activations for a fee,...thus extorting money from the already victimized individuals.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

2 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Yep, watch them deactivate keys, and steal them.

What about giving away your old computer? It won't be enough anymore just to have the key, and a dvd, otherwise restore partition to reload the os.

What a hassle.