spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bujanx2
join:2009-10-08
Ottawa, ON

Bujanx2

[Cable] TekSavvy cable no longer a "deal" vs Videotron

I was shopping around for internet for my parents place they are in Gatineau where DSL is maxed out at 6mbbs and there is no fibre therefore cable is the only option.

TekSavvy used to offer competetive (better) prices that videotron in the past but this no longer seems to be the case... .

I was looking to get them 30 down / 10 up, below are the costs and services for those monthly fees

Teksavvy price = 52.95 per month. plus installation cost (65$) plus modem ( 100$)
service = 30 down / 10 up = 75 BG per month of bandwidth (they have a 300GB option for 57.95)

»teksavvy.com/en/resident ··· ble-30-2

Videotron price = 52.95 per month. Free modem rental, Free installation (they told me no charge over phone even though it says 59.95 probably because they have cable TV already),
service = 30 down / 10 up = 150 BG per month of bandwidth

I usually wanna give my business to TekSavvy, but sadly cannot justify anymore.
Neo6
join:2012-03-16

Neo6

Same exact thing with me. I just switched to Videotron and I hate it. HATE IT. I wanted to support the small guys at teksavvy and hate big telecom companies like Videotron/Bhell/Roger$.

There was also a Bhell representative who came to my home the other day saying they will start to expedite the FTTH installation in my neighborhood. I know Bhell is shitty, but their prices on 175/175 unlimited is just too good to pass up when it will eventually become available.

Teksavvy needs to keep up with the times, and stay competitive with their prices. It they change nothing, it's just a matter of time before they get completely massacred by their competition.
Main reason I switch was because Teksavvy asked me 85$ as a moving fee (100$ with taxes for us Quebec residents), which is completely insane and unreasonable.
dcgm19
join:2013-07-24
Canada

dcgm19

I am in the same boat sort of the only reason why im with tsi is that they offer static ips but the speed is not the best and bhell finally has ftth in my area and I can't get it with tsi. I'm stuck because if i get bells ftth then i wont actually need the speed since i wont have a static but with tsi i have the static but no speed. Mlppp is also too expensive for nothing.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Bujanx2

MVM

to Bujanx2
Videotron gives you 150GB for $53/mth, and that counts every bit you use. TekSavvy charges $58/mth for 300GB, does not count uploads, does not count between 2AM and 8AM...

Considering that I hit over 1500GB last month on my 300GB cap without any overage fees (stayed under my 300GB cap despite 1500GB usage), I would say that I would pay TekSavvy an extra $5 per month to get ten times as much monthly transfer!

QCTLG
join:2008-01-20

QCTLG

said by Guspaz:

Videotron gives you 150GB for $53/mth, and that counts every bit you use. TekSavvy charges $58/mth for 300GB, does not count uploads, does not count between 2AM and 8AM...

Considering that I hit over 1500GB last month on my 300GB cap without any overage fees (stayed under my 300GB cap despite 1500GB usage), I would say that I would pay TekSavvy an extra $5 per month to get ten times as much monthly transfer!

same thing for me...
with Videotron 150gig a month for both up and down = Insane
with TS 300gig a month, unlimited upload and nothing counts from 2 to 8am = No brainer
now with ZTC = unlimited = "Major" No brainer

fdadfaa
@69.165.208.x

fdadfaa to Bujanx2

Anon

to Bujanx2
Yup,

I'm also considering switching back to Videotron since they offer 30/10 at a lower price than teksavvy.

With issues like these »[Cable] Connection slow since 3 days that requires Teksavvy to talk to Videotron and hope that its resolved quickly... its not worth it anymore imho.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

Price isn't everything. Just like Arnold, you'll be back.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Agreed!!!!

And...

V: "An additional fee of $1.50/GB will be billed for exceeding the monthly data usage limit of 150 GB (downloads and uploads combined), with no billing limit. Unlimited access time, excluding dial-up Internet."

TSI: "Overage on all packages that are not unlimited will be charged at $0.50/GB to a maximum of $50/month."
dsl33
join:2012-02-02

dsl33 to MacGyver

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Price isn't everything. Just like Arnold, you'll be back.

Big V is the toomah! TSI is the cure.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

Teksavvy hasn't really been a runaway bargain in Quebec since they started charging QST :P. Think of it as paying a _little_ less for a better overall experience (assuming you use the direct form for technical support and not the telephone...)

Also, videotron has started actually somewhat competing for the first time since 2001 when their usage meter was broken. Let's not jinx the trend...

I think the reason for it is they no longer just absorb pissed bell customers, but they also have to compete with surging wholesale ISPs who now have access to half-decent TPIA options.
malquin
join:2005-05-13
Montreal, QC

malquin to Bujanx2

to Bujanx2

I REALLY enjoy getting my Internet and my phone service from TSI. It is the kind of company I want to participate to its success by doing business with it.

I do not mind paying a bit more or a bit less than with Videotron.
I appreciate TSI's communication when there is a problem.
I like getting service from a market disruptor.

I only worry that Videotron has less of an incentive offering a quality service to TSI's than to its own customers. And, because of that (I think), I have had a lot more disruptions in 3 years with TSI than in more than 10 years with Videotron.

I believe TSI is fighting a good fight for them and for all of us. I hope they win.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

It'll be curious to see what happens after the move period has passed. Is this an offering that will be there for a long time or is it just there when they know many are moving?

Other factors are that their CBB rates will soon be the most expensive rates of all incumbents. This needs to be revised and scrutinized. There is currently no proceeding underway to review their rate but we will see how things play out. Hopefully that will change sooner rather than later.

Malquin, thanks for your comments and for following us, we do work hard at it. Your comments about the last few years of disruptions, that you believe they have been higher. I would like to highlight that there is a proceeding underway at the CRTC that will hopefully lead to a better standard of care when it comes to our customers. I would also caution though that in the last few years many upgrades have been done to their network. As a result, there have been many disruptions. i.e. if you had been a customer of theirs in the last few years, there likely would have been more disruptions either way. Would they have been more or less than under us? there's no way to know. Hopefully the CRTC proceeding will help with that going forward in any event.

We continue to strive for improvements on all fronts but we do have to make sure that things add up properly and right now, our offerings reflect what's realistic for us given the current cost structure. I agree with you guys that there are some decent options out there. Like Guspaz has noted though, it's not exactly apples to apples comparison. I guess everybody has to weight their options accordingly.