join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to SuperNet

to SuperNet

Re: Ant with wings??

said by SuperNet:

said by 66860111:

said by SuperNet:

The house isn't in a wooded area..

Ours isn't either. There are 3 trees close. None of the carpenter ant's were in those trees. They were in a group of trees about 40 feet away from the house.

How did you know you had them? Just noticed the bugs?

Noticed them on the outside of the house. Over the course of a few weeks I was able to track them down. At first I tried closing up the holes in the house they were using to get in. They just found new ways to get in. Eventually I just walked around looking at trees to find ant's based on the approximate angle it appeared the ant's were marching to the house from. That lead to the trees 40 feet away. I found a dead branch on one tree with ants and the other nests were over 20+ feet into the tree somewhere so I couldn't even find them. I ended up using Combat ant gel to kill them. I put some at the base of each tree that had ant's on it. I kept putting it out once a week for like 3 months over the Fall. The following year I still found some so I did it every week for 2-3 months in the Spring. I used something like 6-8 tubes of gel but no more issues............so far.

With any luck you won't have that problem and there's nothing for you to do. Hopefully!

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by 66860111:

I used something like 6-8 tubes of gel but no more issues............so far.

To save money, you can use borax laundry detergent mixed with sugar in a 5:1 ratio (sugar:borax) and dilute the mixture in just enough water to make a syrup.

Fill a bottle with the syrup and every other day, go pour some of the syrup on top of plastic container lids located in high population area (of ants) and near the infected trees.