spc
Search similar:

uniqs
soja
join:2014-01-21
Waterloo, NY

soja

7 Downstream channel bonding?

Most people here seem to have 1/4/6/8+ channel bonding. I have had 6 for a very long time, but my modem lost power yesterday, and now when I check the modem status page I have 7 channels. I have not restarted the modem since it acquired the 7 channels, but could this be an indication of an in-progress 100Mbit upgrade in my area?

Thanks
xnappo
join:2012-01-06
Austin, TX

xnappo

Are you an internet only customer? Looks to me like you might have a trap on your line - before the 16 channels, the frequencies for internet were higher. The new service is 500Mhz to 600Mhz - see how all your freqs are in the upper 500s and get WORSE the lower the frequency? That is the opposite of what one would expect.. Unless there were a trap to block TV frequencies on the line.

xnappo
soja
Waterloo, NY

soja

No, I have TV as well(1 cable box). Our most recent tech did run a new line from the box between the line from the pole where it enters the house, this was months ago. It was ran directly to the cable modem. I have one two-way TWC provided splitter now that runs to a TV on that line.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

I can't remember now, is Waterloo part of the Rochester or Syracuse franchise? Last I heard there were no plans or information at all to increase Rochester past 50Mb. Earlier this year I had 8 downstream channels, went back to 6, now I'm sitting at 7 like you. I wouldn't put much hope into seeing 100Mb anytime time soon in this area, I hope I'm wrong though.
soja
Waterloo, NY

soja

Rochester.

That is a bummer. Last time I called phone support they did hint that 100Mb was coming eventually, but they couldn't give me any timeframe.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to soja

to soja

It depends on the area honestly .. I am in the former Insight Columbus area that TWC took over and we have 7 down / 3 up bonding.
soja
Waterloo, NY

soja

Why would TWC add a 7th channel to be bonded? Proactively adding capacity? I didn't have any speed issues, and could get 56.5Mb/s any time of the day.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by soja:

Why would TWC add a 7th channel to be bonded? Proactively adding capacity? I didn't have any speed issues, and could get 56.5Mb/s any time of the day.

There is a lot of engineering work going on to standardize networks across the company. Its called proactive not reactive.

Hob
soja
Waterloo, NY

soja

Thanks for the insight hob.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to xnappo

to xnappo
said by xnappo:

Are you an internet only customer? Looks to me like you might have a trap on your line - before the 16 channels, the frequencies for internet were higher. The new service is 500Mhz to 600Mhz - see how all your freqs are in the upper 500s and get WORSE the lower the frequency? That is the opposite of what one would expect.. Unless there were a trap to block TV frequencies on the line.

xnappo

hmm the DOCSIS channels vary in frequency from system NYC is 300MHz range, Dallas is 700 and 800MHz and LA is 600MHz and 700MHz range it varies by area and region.

now on the upstream they are standardizing it for the most part across all areas.