Search similar:

uniqs

Jonsby
@176.57.249.x

Jonsby

Anon

[Carpentry] Computer Screen Visible through tinted glass

Hi,

I have a bit of an ambitious idea to build a coffee table that will have a computer screen inside the table centred in the middle underneath table top glass with a dark tinted look.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience in this department but I wanted to ask, is there a special type of table top glass that will look tinted but still display the screens images through perfectly.
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead

Premium Member

It will work fine, arcade games have tinted glass and they look better with tinted than with plain glass or perspex.

purrfect
@50.138.50.x

purrfect to Jonsby

Anon

to Jonsby
just ideas, fyi

coffee tables come in different glass thicknesses. 1/4" is the cheap ones, 1/2 or 3/4" the better stronger ones.

any added glass layer will reduce the amount of light slightly. typically 4% for every air-glass transition.

tinting will also greatly reduce the amount of light. some tints block 80%, most are in the 25% range.
the 80% ones will appear black when the screen is off.

in addition, you will be getting extra reflections from each layer.

you might also think of thinner glass, that is tempered, that breaks into small pieces,
or layered glass, like car windshields, that is glass with plastic, that stays together when broken.

both of those alternatives also make added light reduction and added reflections.

much also depends on ambient lighting. if you pick 80% tint, the screen will be dimmed 80+%,
so might seem dim in bright room light. but at night in a dim room, it should be bright enough.

consider also the location of the other lights in the room, so none of them reflect into the table screen area.

so all depends on how perfect you want perfection.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Jonsby

Premium Member

to Jonsby
Just make sure it's not a polarized tint. The LCD will look discolored and blotchy if it is.

Jonsby
@2.101.239.x

Jonsby to purrfect

Anon

to purrfect
Thanks that's helped a lot. I guess closer to perfection the better.

I've been searching places that sell glass cut to size. I guess low Iron glass is what I would aim for. The other question is does it matter if I buy tinted glass or clear glass and then tint later with a film?
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone to Jonsby

to Jonsby
Just get one of this and frame it in on a table:

»outlet.lenovo.com/outlet ··· 0111/445

I have sold 3 of them and everyone loves them.