spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Richard Leon
@99.92.122.x

Richard Leon

Anon

Changing from (DSLModem+CISCO WRVS4000) to (RVG589+Cisco WRVS4000)w/StaticIP

We are hoping to move from a slow DSL line to a much faster Uverse line. Our current setup is a DSL Modem with the Cisco WRVS 4000 behind it, with Static IP's. Uverse has installed the line and furnished a NVG589. I am hoping to basically use the NVG589 as a modem, pass through the Static IP address, and let the router do all the work/port assignments, etc., as we have it configured for various port forwarding activities and don't want to have to try to do significant configurations to the NVG589.

I have been advised that the basic way to do this is:
1. Turn off wireless on the NVG
2. In the Firewall settings, allocate IP Passthrough to the MAC address of the Cisco WRVS4000.

Seems simple enough. Are there any roadblocks/bumps-in-the-road/nightmares about which I should be aware? Is Uverse reliable in these situations?

Any tips/suggestions/opinions are appreciated.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Did you get a Static IP Block with U-Verse, or do you have the single "dynamic"/sticky IP?

If you have a Static Block, you will want to use the Cascaded Router option to pass the entire block to your Cisco

If you have the single "dynamic"/sticky IP, then you want to put the Cisco into the IP Passthru mode, and then hardcode the single WAN IP info into the Cisco

Richard Leon
@151.152.101.x

Richard Leon

Anon

said by ILpt4U:

Did you get a Static IP Block with U-Verse, or do you have the single "dynamic"/sticky IP?

If you have a Static Block, you will want to use the Cascaded Router option to pass the entire block to your Cisco

If you have the single "dynamic"/sticky IP, then you want to put the Cisco into the IP Passthru mode, and then hardcode the single WAN IP info into the Cisco

Thank you for your quick reply. I do have a block (because that is how it was sold to me), and that's what I had on the DSL line as well.

I believe that only one static IP address is required for our setup (I am not super technical, so I will explain). If that is the case, do we have to use Cascaded Router setup...seems that the IP Passthrough is simpler -- if I'm wrong in that please advise/explain.

Meanwhile, here is our story:
We have a database running on our system that is accessed by our clients (and our independent contractors) via a vendor's website. In other words, our clients (or contractors) go to: ourname.vendorsname.com and get a login screen that accesses our data (and once signed in, they can see various components of data relevant to them in our database).

Currently, our router has a static WAN IP address and the computer upon which the database is located has a fixed IP within the LAN. Other computers within the LAN utilize DHCP-assigned addresses from the Cisco router.

Do you have a recommendation on whether or not to cascade. Again, if it is as simple as the IP Passthrough, then I guess I might as well, since I could then theoretically address some of the devices from off-site (i.e., printer, for example, or NAS).

One more question...I know the options in Cascade Router, but don't know what the I would use for the Cascaded Router address, nor what to do about Subnet mask (I do know how I want the range of network addresses available to the client of the Cisco); also don't know what other information needs to be entered on the Subnets & DHCP page of the Home Networking tab of the setup...if you could suggest some reference material on how to specifically set up a Cascaded Router, I would appreciate. Cascaded Router just looks more difficult, but maybe I'm not understanding.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

»/profi ··· /1479488 mackey seems to be the one around here who has the most info on cascaded router -- might register on this site & send him a PM, or see if he'll contribute

You can also try a U-Verse forum search for "cascaded router" and read some of the previous threads. Any posts referencing the NVG510 or NVG589 setup would apply, as the Cascaded Router setting is the same in both

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

1 recommendation

mackey to Richard Leon

Premium Member

to Richard Leon
You do not want to use "IP Passthrough" as it's a hack and doesn't always work right.

If you just need 1 then the "Public Subnet" option is a bit easier to set up and works with "consumer" grade routers better.

Assuming your static IP block is 1.1.1.0/29 meaning 5 or 6 addresses (1.1.1.1 - 1.1.1.6) are usable:

Go to "Home Network" -> "Subnets & DHCP"

Public Subnet Enable: On
Public IPv4 Address: 1.1.1.6
Public Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
DHCPv4 Start: 1.1.1.1
DHCPv4 End: 1.1.1.5
Primary DHCP Pool: Public

Now you can either have your router pull a WAN address using DHCP and it'll get one of your statics, or change "DHCPv4 Start" above to 1.1.1.2 and assign 1.1.1.1/29 (mask 255.255.255.248) to your router using 1.1.1.6 as the gateway.

The other option is "Cascaded Router." It's a bit more complex to set up and it only works with real routers (not WiFi "routers") and so you probably won't be able to use it with your Cisco Linksys WRVS4000. I'll post this anyway for the sake of completeness.

Again assuming your subnet block is 1.1.1.0/29 meaning 5 or 6 addresses (1.1.1.1-1.1.1.6) are usable:

Go to "Home Network" -> "Subnets & DHCP"

Public Subnet Enable: Off

Cascaded Router Enable: On
Cascaded Router Address: <the 192.168.1.x address your router has>
Network Address: 1.1.1.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248

Now you need to configure your router to do something with your static addresses. You could use them for 1:1 NAT, assign them to a loopback interface, or route them elsewhere. Or a combination of all the above...

/M
RLCSR
join:2014-07-10

RLCSR

Wow. Thanks. Very much!

I will try the "Subnet" approach since it is pretty simple to implement, or unwind.

So the WRVS4000 (and I have the wireless on it disabled by the way) won't work as a cascaded router? Can you suggest a relatively low priced router that will work as cascaded? Also, is the "Network Address: 1.1.1.0" just an example, referring to the assumed network above? So if my range is 98.101.1.109 - 98.101.1.113, the "Network Address" would be ? I know that the Public IPv4 Address is .114

Thanks for your help/advice. Your stellar reputation is deserved!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by RLCSR:

So the WRVS4000 (and I have the wireless on it disabled by the way) won't work as a cascaded router? Can you suggest a relatively low priced router that will work as cascaded?

Correct. Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite, though I don't remember offhand if the web interface supports what's needed for Cascaded or if it needs to be done via command line.
said by RLCSR:

Also, is the "Network Address: 1.1.1.0" just an example, referring to the assumed network above? So if my range is 98.101.1.109 - 98.101.1.113, the "Network Address" would be ? I know that the Public IPv4 Address is .114

Yes, it's just an example.

That address range is wrong. Closest valid ranges are 98.101.1.105 - 98.101.1.110 (network address would be 98.101.1.104) or 98.101.1.113 - 98.101.1.118 (network address would be 98.101.1.112).

/M
RLCSR
join:2014-07-10

RLCSR

BTW, I had forgotten that I have the "non-wireless" version of the router, i.e., Cisco RVS4000. Would you also say it's ill advised to cascade that device? Thx.
RLCSR

1 recommendation

RLCSR to Richard Leon

to Richard Leon
I am happy to say that AT&T Uverse Business HiSpeed Internet tech support was very helpful in getting this to work. We require have a public/Static IP address accessible so that our clients and contractors may have access to a data base that is manipulated through a vendor's server.

(So, basically when our clients or contractors type "ourname.vendorsite.com" they access our data that is on our local machine using a website and scripts managed by our vendor at their site)

Basically step by step what we did was
1. Connect laptop to residential gateway
2. Go to 192.168.1.254 to get into the gateway configuration user interface
3. Go to Home Network
4.Select "Subnets & DHCP" link in the top bar
5. Go to the section of that window entitled "Public Subnet"
6. The following settings worked for me:
a. Set Public Subnet Enable to On
b. set the Public IPV4 address to your ending Static IP address
c. Set the public subnet mask per ISP's advice (ATT Uverse is 255.255.255.248)
d DHCPv4 Start and End address = first and last Static IP's as assigned by your ISP.
7. IMPORTANT: Set Primary DHCP Pool to "ON" (this keeps Static IP's restricted to those devices where you tell it to use a static IP).

8. On our router, we set the address as the first Static IP address in the range.

It is working just fine for us, and over three times as fast as DSL.

BTW, Kudos to Uverse Business Support...which the rest of ATT was as responsive!!

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX

rolande

MVM,

Glad you got it working. It is nice to hear positive support experiences every now and again, since everyone mostly likes to focus on the negative.