Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

2 recommendations

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Marketing firms seem to forget what bad PR is, They are basically suing for the right to put malware on computers because that is what adnetworks do.

On the other hand to do some advocacy for satan here, The ABP whitelist is likely what got them into this. If they had remained all or nothing with a white list being 100% user controlled and the default was a completely empty whitelist who was on it I doubt this would come up.

el_huason
@108.38.68.x

el_huason to ZZZZZZZ

Anon

to ZZZZZZZ
I knew this would happen. Good thing I don't rely on ABP or any other ad blocker, I use a combination of the host file and my router's URL filtering capabilities instead. And yes, I don't mind if the Web becomes pay-only as a result - it will just separate the chaff from the good, worthwhile sites.

"Only two kinds of human beings can be trusted - dead and extinct. All others must be avoided at all costs" me.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

therube to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
> If they had remained all or nothing

I'd suspect it's because they've gotten bigger, are on more then just "mozilla" & (the all important) have some assets that can be gone after ($$).

> I don't rely on ABP or any other ad blocker
> I use a combination of the host file and my router's URL filtering capabilities

So you use a different means to the same end.
So you are relying on an "ad blocker".

Wait till router makers are forced to remove filtering capabilities. And while you can enter all the IP's into your hosts file that you want, the only one that actually will have any effect is 127.0.0.1 .

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by therube:

And while you can enter all the IP's into your hosts file that you want, the only one that actually will have any effect is 127.0.0.1

And 127.0.0.2 and 127.0.0.3 and 127.0.0.4 and 127.0.0.5...... and 127.255.255.254
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
quote:
Adblock Plus makers have been slapped with lawsuits by multiple marketing companies in Germany for affecting revenue by blocking ads.
...I see the technique of "if you can't beat em, sue em" is alive and well...

I sincerely hope they find a sympathetic judge who'll toss this case out on its ear.

Regards

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Ben Williams a "spokesperson" for ABP Holding company EYEO
»eyeo.com/ has denied there have been any allegations at all.
This would be at the time of the writing of the article - I would surmise things have changed since as surely many in Germany have multiple axes to grind with ABP.
wolfy339
join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

wolfy339

If these media companies are suing Eyeo over ABP, why not sue Kaspersky Labs for inclusion of a similar feature (anti-banner) in their KIS suite? Even given the ability to "Pay to Play" as Eyeo does with ABP, regardless of whether that is what the lawsuit is all about, something does not quite ring true here.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to therube

to therube

quote:
Wait till router makers are forced to remove filtering capabilities. And while you can enter all the IP's into your hosts file that you want, the only one that actually will have any effect is 127.0.0.1
Or ZERO .. I use 0 in my host file (I dont have that much in it however as my browser does most of the blocking and I have heard putting alot in there may cause slowdowns........)

el_huason
@108.38.68.x

el_huason to therube

Anon

to therube

Re: ABP being sued for blocking ads.

said by therube:

So you use a different means to the same end.
So you are relying on an "ad blocker".

You say potato, I say potato..... I really don't care what it's called, as long as I achieve the results I want (and yes, I'm being selfish on purpose).
said by therube:

Wait till router makers are forced to remove filtering capabilities

Doesn't matter. When my current router stops working or becomes too obsolete for any use, I'll replace it with an old P3 700mhz build I'm currently working on (I'll leave the details up to your imagination). And if websites deny me access because I'm "blocking" their ads, I'll just leave and never return
said by 19579823:

I have heard putting alot in there may cause slowdowns

I have seen no slowdowns with the host file I currently use (over 600kb in size and growing.......)

"Only two kinds of human beings can be trusted - dead and extinct. All others must be avoided at all costs" me.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

5 recommendations

redwolfe_98 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
i think "ABP" could argue "we don't block ads, we just provide a program that people can use to block ads"..
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

ATT: We don't commit crimes (ok...that's up for discussion in another thread), we just provide phones to people who might.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

ATT : We are't letting the copper rot.....

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Can we sue the ad companies?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

said by antdude:

Good luck fighting the NAI

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 recommendation

Cartel to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Good thing I use adblock edge....
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

7 recommendations

19579823 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Screw the ad companies!!!!

ADVERTISERS IN THE UNITED STATES ARE WAY OUT OF CONTROL and try whatever they can to force thier crap in your face!!

petermdodge
join:2014-03-31
Canada

1 recommendation

petermdodge to wolfy339

to wolfy339

Re: ABP being sued for blocking ads.

Probably because APB is a small, independant target compared to something like Kapersky or McAffe which both have similar products. Especially with the latter being backed by Intel.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

7 recommendations

NefCanuck to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
This kind of thing is especially galling for those of us who are on metered data plans.

It's not as if the advertisers pay us for the bandwidth their ads chew up.

Heck, I wonder if a bunch of users could probably band together and start a class action lawsuit against these advertisers for theft and / or misuse of their metered bandwidth.

Maybe these advertisers better think twice before pushing this, what's sauce for the goose is also often sauce for the gander.

NefCanuck

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

3 recommendations

Trihexagonal5 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Are they going to file suit against NoScript too, for blocking JavaScript popup ads?

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

4 recommendations

Chubbzie to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Hypocritical assholes... lets get that class action lawsuit against all these ad monsters rolling!

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

Good thing I use adblock edge....

Perhaps if Adblock Edge were in Germany, they'd be in the same situation.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

i think "ABP" could argue "we don't block ads, we just provide a program that people can use to block ads"..

That was Napter's argument with music downloads wasn't it?
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber to siljaline

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

said by antdude:

Good luck fighting the NAI

Good luck to them in ever getting their shyte onto my computer.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

said by EdmundGerber:

It's (NAI content) probably is already streaming through your Browser now.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

1 recommendation

TheMG to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Suing AdBlock is just as ridiculous as suing VCR manufacturers for making a device that enabled people to skip ads.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to siljaline

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

said by EdmundGerber:

It's (NAI content) probably is already streaming through your Browser now.

What a trollish comment! You've no idea the level of security I'm using - or what traffic is running through my network.

Try and avoid the hyperbole, eh?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

NAI content possibly streaming via your connection is not an inference that I know what sort of content filtering you have - therefore how could it be construed as trollish ? The Canuck reference (eh) is trollish.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

said by TheMG :
Suing AdBlock is just as ridiculous as suing VCR manufacturers for making a device that enabled people to skip ads.
Well all you do with a VCR is press FAST FORWARD.. (Or pause during spam breaks)

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

There's a mute button on the TV remote.

If an ad annoys me, there are scripts to block. I can also turn off images on the fly.
I can read words faster and leave the site even faster. I have no problem with no images. Get one of those browsers that run in kiosks.