All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Can the COAXIAL output of an RG be converted to an Ethernet Connection.

This is a clarification of a question I previously posted. If I connect an HPNA adapter to the Coaxial output of a Uverse Residential Gateway can the Ethernet port on the HPNA adapter be used to connect a Uverse Set Top Box, via a CAT5 cable?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

As long as the HPNA/Ethernet bridge supports IGMPv3 for the IPTV multicast, yes

I have to ask, what is the stated purpose/Goal? The Receivers already have an HPNA/Coax input port
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 edit

Mr Matt

said by ILpt4U:

I have to ask, what is the stated purpose/Goal?

The reason for my inquiry is that I am moving to an apartment and am trying to decide how to utilize two guest rooms. I had planned on subscribing to service through the local cable company since standard basic cable is paid for through the maintenance fee and residents normally get a reduced rate in addition to a new customer promotional discount. When I tried to order cable service the cable company reneged on a new customer promotional offer I was quoted. By refusing to honor the new customer discount my monthly subscription fee increased from $139.00 to $201.00 for one year for the same services. I recently learned that Uverse is available in this condominium and is offering a substantial discount, so I am trying to determine the most efficient way to have the service installed, depending on which room I use as the guest bedroom and which to use as a den.

I am in the investigatory stage of trying to figure out how to configure the existing cable/CAT5 wiring in my apartment for the installation of Uverse. I originally considered installing a smart switch at each location where I wanted to install a STB but that was rather costly. Some of the CAT5 cables were not in an optimum location and required extending CAT5 cable along the baseboards. In another scenario I thought about using an Ethernet port off the RG to connect to the STB's through a MoCA adapter and network. I cannot use the HPNA scheme used by Uverse over the existing coaxial CATV cable because it is incompatible with digital cable, which I wish to continue to use. If I use the Coaxial connection on the RG to get to the room reachable with a point to point Coaxial cable, I figured I could add a two port coaxial splitter and an HPNA adapter to serve the other set top boxes through either CAT5 cables where available or MoCA. I would reserve the MoCA system to serve set top boxes exclusively. I could therefore dedicate the CAT5 cables for internet access where necessary. I am trying to determine which configuration will work and will be most cost effective.
Travis299
join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC

Travis299 to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I thought that you could use wireless STBs to the U-Verse RG.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Travis299:

I thought that you could use wireless STBs to the U-Verse RG.

At present, up to 2. Potentially 5-6 is coming in an unknown future

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
I don't know if your condo has any restrictions, but when I had U-verse installed the tech installed all the necessary cables, including coax to all the TV locations I specified in my house. (1 for the DVR and 3 for STBs.)