F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100

Asphalt Driveway Sealing

Have any of you all that have a blacktop asphalt driveway ever used Pave Shield? I got a quote from a company that did the driveway a few years ago and this is the product they said they use.

Here is the quote price: "Apply Pave Shield asphalt based sealant with 3 to 5lbs. of sand/gal. of sealant ~1,925 s.f. @ $0.23/s.f. $442.00"

Any recommendations for other products you have used? This company did the driveway several years ago but don't remember if it was the same stuff. A few years before that, I did it myself with some stuff from Home Depot.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

it seems to me that a hot asphalt cap would be much better..

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to F100

Premium Member

to F100
That's about the same sqft price that I got for our 5K sqft drive from a reputable local company using the PaveShield product.

Looks good...holding up nicely.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to iknow_t

to iknow_t
So the house was built in 1980 but we bought the house in November of 2005 and the driveway looked pretty new then. Thinking it was not more than a year or two old in 2005.

Probably had concrete drive way originally like most of the surrounding houses but not sure why it was changed to asphalt. It my be an overlay over some of the original concrete, can't really tell.

It's still in pretty good shape with just some minor cracks and one that I may need to fill in first.
F100

F100 to John Galt6

to John Galt6
Thanks, John Galt. Good to know price is comparably priced.

I looked at the quote from last time and it was pretty close to the 2011 price. "Apply commercial grade, asphalt based sealant with 3 to 5lbs. of sand/gal. of sealant $0.22/s.f. $423.00". I don't know if they used Pave Shield then but I specifically ask them this time and it is on the quote.

Also, what's the best way to fill the crack between the driveway and the concrete pad of the garage? That is where I am loosing some material. Fill it with some type of Asphalt caulk and let them seal over the concrete a little? I don't care if there is some sealant on the concrete. Like put down a painters tape line several inches past the joint and let them go over on to the pad a little. Pull the tape later and have a nice clean line. Don't know if it will stick to the concrete though.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

I don't think the painters tape will stick, you're probably be better off using duct tape. It will stick to concrete but will pull off fairly easily if not left too long. It's also wider so it will be easier for them to apply the sealer without slopping over.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to F100

to F100
said by F100:

Also, what's the best way to fill the crack between the driveway and the concrete pad of the garage? That is where I am loosing some material. Fill it with some type of Asphalt caulk and let them seal over the concrete a little?

a hot patch is best, a cold patch is cheaper, if you don't mind it not lasting as long as a hot patch..
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to F100

to F100
said by F100:

Also, what's the best way to fill the crack between the driveway and the concrete pad of the garage? That is where I am loosing some material.

If its only a 1/2" or so, ask them for a quote on a heated crackseal job. Fill the whole void.

You can also buy a water activated cold patch from SealMaster. Its not cheap but it is DOT approved to pave over without removing. Regular cold patch needs to be removed and filled with base.