Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

[Home Phone] Rogers Home Phone: A Dangerously Unreliable Service?

More and more we read about the unreliability and extended outages occurring on Rogers Home Phone service. The elderly and medically challenged being put in harm's way due to, well basically, Rogers complete and total failure to provide trustworthy dependable Home Phone service to those whose lives depend on it.

Here's just another example of an ongoing unresolved crisis created by Rogers and posted on canadianoutages.com. Those with vulnerable loved ones can only imagine the anxiety and terror these people must be going through:

said by an affected user :

I'm one of the individuals in the Hamilton Mountain area that's had either no Internet connection, a connection that even when it works is so slow that the Internet is barely useable, and in most cases the connection is lost for most of the day. I've spent a total of 10+ hours on hold and eventually went down to the Rogers Hester St. office (formally Shaw). The office was literally packed with a constant flow of people all having poor/no Internet connectivity, no TV, and in some cases no phone service. When I say packed, I mean as in standing room only crowds that even at 1PM or so in the afternoon were almost out the door. I noticed a large number of elderly people at the office and I can only imagine if they have no phone service at phone thanks to Rogers and need to call 911. Rogers could now be placing lives in danger. In most cases, the reps at Rogers are claiming faulty equipment/firmware is the problem but based on the conversations and message forums, replacing equipment does very little to resolve any issues.

I've spoken to the Hamilton Spectator and CHCH News about the situation and they will most likely pursue a news story about what is occurring. If you are one of the countless people having an issue in the Hamilton area after the switchover, please contact the Hamilton Spectator and CHCH News to express your concern in order to ensure that this news story get the coverage it deserves. Hopefully, this will force Rogers to act on this situation ASAP and fix the issues. Guy Laurence, the current CEO of Rogers, should be made aware of this situation and ensure that a resolution is found immediately.

Hamilton Spectator Newsroom 905-526-3420
CHCH Newsroom 905-522-1101

»canadianoutages.com/status/rogers

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

Re: [Home Phone] Rogers Home Phone: A Dangerously Unreliable Service

They HAVE to provide reliable 911 services, otherwise they should get their asses handed to them by the CRTC.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

komi

join:2011-07-08
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to elitefx

Re: [Home Phone] Rogers Home Phone: A Dangerously Unreliable Service?

Big banner on Rogers website:
"Some of our Hamilton Mountain area customers are experiencing service disruptions affecting their home phone, internet and/or TV services due to the switch over to Rogers from their old provider.

We sincerely apologize for any disruptions customers may be experiencing. We're taking every possible step to fix the problems. We have brought more staff into the call centre and have extra technicians on the road. We really value our customers' business and will work to make this right."

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
People should be filing CRTC complaints. The CRTC SHOULD be smacking them, and hard.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Barry

join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON
Then the fine will be passed on to consumers in order to bring better service.

smogers

@108.170.167.x
said by Barry:

Then the fine will be passed on to consumers in order to bring better service.

As it should be.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elitefx
One distinction to be made, this is about Hamilton. They are running the Motorolla platform. (Same as Atlantic Canada). Different Rogers home phone technology/platform, account interface. The rest of Ontario is on a Scientific Atlanta Platform ND is unaffected by these migration issues.

dick johnson

@70.30.145.x
as far as im aware, for the telephony side, shaw uses the same modem/platform for their shaw home phone as does rogers for their rogers home phone, so it should be a simple swap and reprovision?

they both use ARRIS telephony modems. its their TV platform whitch uses scientific atlantic for Ontario while shah uses motollolla same as east coast rogers cable tv customers use

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
The telephony and internet side is the same as it all runs on the DOCSIS standard. Also Rogers is retaining the Motorola platform in the Hamilton region for their television service. The problem probably stems from migrating all the accounts from Shaw to Rogers.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
reply to elitefx
People fail to realize these Cable Digital Phones are still not as reliable as Telco Phone Lines. Cable goes down, Power goes down, no Phone Service. Not like C.O. Powered Phone Service.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
said by alchav:

People fail to realize these Cable Digital Phones are still not as reliable as Telco Phone Lines. Cable goes down, Power goes down, no Phone Service. Not like C.O. Powered Phone Service.

You're absolutely right. Thing is Rogers doesn't tell people that. Seniors subscribe to Rogers bundle deals thinking Rogers Home phone is like Bell POTS. They don't know any better. To them, a phone is a phone.

Rogers tells them they'll save money bundling services but doesn't tell them they're risking their lives doing it. Rogers conveniently glosses over that fact.

You can't beat Bell POTS in an emergency, period.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
I'll second that! During the ice storm and aftermath last December, my son never lost his Bell phone service. He had no power, no cable or Internet, but he had phone. We on the other hand had no nothing from Rogers. Even their wireless signal was hit and miss! The only reason we keep Rogers phone now is it is one of the three services that gives us unlimited Internet for $10 per month. We pray that if something happens, our cellular will at least work!

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
said by Hooter:

I'll second that! During the ice storm and aftermath last December, my son never lost his Bell phone service. He had no power, no cable or Internet, but he had phone.

Yes, you can't beat Twisted Copper Phone Service from a Telco, but that may all be a thing of the past. Since you can't beat this Service, they may be required to keep a small percentage of this Service for reliable Back-up. The other advantage is the 911 Emergency Service over Twisted Copper has a Hard Wired Data Base, as opposed to software update on Digital Phones and VoIP.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
said by alchav:

said by Hooter:

I'll second that! During the ice storm and aftermath last December, my son never lost his Bell phone service. He had no power, no cable or Internet, but he had phone.

Yes, you can't beat Twisted Copper Phone Service from a Telco, but that may all be a thing of the past. Since you can't beat this Service, they may be required to keep a small percentage of this Service for reliable Back-up. The other advantage is the 911 Emergency Service over Twisted Copper has a Hard Wired Data Base, as opposed to software update on Digital Phones and VoIP.

Maybe in the US that is true, but in Canada all CLECs are required to have a direct interconnection with the local PSAP if the ILEC has one.

Also POTS is definitely going to die eventually. In FTTH areas, CO powered POTS is not an option. Also as more and more people abandon their POTS subscriptions, I wouldn't be surprised if more telcos move towards a VoIP service even in areas where copper is used as the last mile.

RogersMikeT
VIP

join:2011-09-30
North York, ON

1 edit
reply to elitefx
Hi all. First I wanted to repeat our apologies to all Hamilton Mountain customers impacted. We’re taking every possible step to fix the problems, brought more staff into the call centre and have extra technicians on the road. For the small number of customers whose home phone service has been impacted we have provided free loaner cell phones.

Now I also wanted to address the question of Rogers Home phone and wanted to point out that home phone solutions are dependent on power and will go down in extreme power outage cases. Rogers Home Phone will continue to work during a power outage for up to 5 hours provided that the battery in your terminal is correctly installed and fully charged. We regularly and remotely monitor the performance of back-up batteries for our home phone service customers and, if need be, contact impacted customers to replace these batteries free of charge.

~RogersMichaelT