All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aglenwri
join:2014-07-10

aglenwri

Ongoing internet connectivity problems

I am a new customer to Tek Savvy as of last Friday. On Monday, I started experiencing internet connectivity issues. My modem is set up in the basement and my husband ran a cable from my second story office to the basement for a wired connection to do some programming work and was unable to get a connection to the internet. This was unusual because with our last provider (Rogers) we were able to get a connection using the same cable running it down to the basement in exactly the same way. Throughout the course of the day we also lost our wireless connection.

I have been on the phone with Tek Savvy every day since Monday to troubleshoot this problem and while they have seemed to have established the cause, they do not know how to fix it. Here is what we have been able to figure out:
-It is not an issue with connecting to our network because we can still browse our wireless hard drive.
-It is not the wired connection per say, because I can still get a connection to the internet when I plug my computer directly into the modem while I am in the basement.
-All of the devices in the household (desktop computer, laptop, smart phones) seem to be generating the wrong IP address to point to the wireless modem. The tech cross-referenced the IP address on my laptop to see if it was pointing to the one associated with our previous provider's modem (Rogers) but it is not. It is a seemingly random IP.

Here are the solutions that Tek Savvy has attempted so far that have not worked:
-They have changed the IP address on my laptop to point it to the wireless modem. While this works temporarily (usually for an evening) when I wake up the next morning I have lost my internet connection again. In one instances, they were able to ascertain that the IP address changed when no one was home.
-They have flashed my modem and updated the firmware on the modem. This did not fix the problem.

The next step in solving this issue will involve Tek Savvy sending us a new modem. They have informed me that if there was nothing wrong with the previous modem, they will charge me a restocking fee. Does this seem like a modem based problem? Or a configuration problem? Has anyone experienced all of their devices in their household not being able to obtain a wireless internet connection despite having network access?

TSI Alan
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Alan

Premium Member

Hi aglenwri,

Can you post a thread in »/fo ··· avdirect please?

We would like to review what is happening with your service.

Thanks.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to aglenwri

Premium Member

to aglenwri
said by aglenwri:

-All of the devices in the household (desktop computer, laptop, smart phones) seem to be generating the wrong IP address to point to the wireless modem. The tech cross-referenced the IP address on my laptop to see if it was pointing to the one associated with our previous provider's modem (Rogers) but it is not. It is a seemingly random IP.

This to me tells me that you have a second "router" on your network, or basically a second DHCP server within your network. What I suspect is happening is that your devices are bouncing back and forth between your Cable connection and whatever else you have.

May I ask what "correct" IP you are getting and what is the incorrect one?
TSI Gabe

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Actually I thought about this....I bet you your modem is plugged into one of the LAN ports of your router. Your modem should be plugged into the WAN port. If it is indeed in the LAN port it would explain why you are having this problem
aglenwri
join:2014-07-10

aglenwri

That was precisely the problem! Thanks for your assistance! I cannot even begin to express how much gratitude I am feeling to not have to put in another call to tech support this evening