uniqs

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Is there a limited number of coax cable splitters that can be used?

For acceptable Internet, HDTV, and digital phone services. Or does it vary?

Thank you in advance.
Quad5Ny
join:2012-08-23
Floral Park, NY

1 recommendation

Quad5Ny

Yes there is a limit and it does vary based on the signal strength beforehand. Each splitter drops the signal level by what is printed on the label (usually 3.5dB).

Anyway to answer your question 1-3 (just make sure your modem is on one of the outputs of the first splitter).

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

said by Quad5Ny:

Yes there is a limit and it does vary based on the signal strength beforehand. Each splitter drops the signal level by what is printed on the label (usually 3.5dB).

Anyway to answer your question 1-3 (just make sure your modem is on one of the outputs of the first splitter).

Hmm, I think there are too many splitters used in this big house. There are like over three splitters (attic and then to multiple rooms, and then rooms with even more splitters for HDTVs and cable modem). Oy! First splitter won't work because it is in the attic.
timur4
join:2007-06-12

timur4 to antdude

to antdude
Just FYI, I replaced the stock splitter that TW gave me with this one: »smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ··· 00Y97Q86 and it made a significant improvement in my signal quality.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

2 recommendations

antdude

Premium Member

said by timur4:

Just FYI, I replaced the stock splitter that TW gave me with this one: »smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ··· 00Y97Q86 and it made a significant improvement in my signal quality.

Monster? Seriously? I thought they were overpriced and overrated like their cables.
timur4
join:2007-06-12

timur4

If it weren't for all the 5-star reviews on Amazon, I would have believed the same thing.

jacko15
@174.100.251.x

jacko15

Anon

Excellent quality, low price:
»www.monoprice.com/Search ··· plitters

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state

2 recommendations

anon_5224 to antdude

to antdude
from what i understand, the Tap at the street should have sufficient signal for 5 cable boxes and 2 modems, though i've seen plenty of addresses with 10+ boxes and 2 modems; it all depends on how the signal is managed by the install technician(s).

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
The tech that installed my internet service said my signal was too strong, and could support about 7 televisions and the modem, and I only had the modem. So he put an attenuator on the line to ensure the perfect signal levels.

And yes... it varies by address, varies by cables used, varies by splitters used, i'd say that if your picture quality is good everywhere, don't change a thing. If you have problems. try to see if you can limit the number of splitters, or possibly add a signal booster to one or two of them.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by maartena:

The tech that installed my internet service said my signal was too strong, and could support about 7 televisions and the modem, and I only had the modem. So he put an attenuator on the line to ensure the perfect signal levels.

And yes... it varies by address, varies by cables used, varies by splitters used, i'd say that if your picture quality is good everywhere, don't change a thing. If you have problems. try to see if you can limit the number of splitters, or possibly add a signal booster to one or two of them.

Lucky. I know it is the splitter because one of the rooms have issues with the Internet, TV, and digital phone services. Removing a splitter made things work again. Ugh.

I guess we either have to remove splitters and/or get TWC to boost the signal strength in the front.
keyzip13
join:2000-10-01
Anaheim, CA

2 recommendations

keyzip13

Here is a good explanation of splitters and loss.
»www.cabletvamps.com/spli ··· info.htm

I use a powered unity gain CATV amp in my house. It allows me to plug in my 5 Tuners and cable modem with little to no change in upstream and downstream signal strength from what TWC delivers to my house.

Whatever your situation is, measure the signal strength before any splitters and do the math to determine your best course of action.

»www.pctstore.com/RF_ampl ··· b8un.htm

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

said by keyzip13:

... Whatever your situation is, measure the signal strength before any splitters and do the math to determine your best course of action.

»www.pctstore.com/RF_ampl ··· b8un.htm

Ahh, that explains why previous house owners had this AC plug with coax cable to their Dish TV service: »i.imgur.com/m9FYlFe.jpg ? Actually, can this be used with TWC too? I believe this was plugged in one of the rooms with many splitters.
keyzip13
Anaheim, CA

keyzip13

Generally no, but i need a close up pix of the splitter it was plugged into to answer your questions. That plug just provides power to an amp or some other device that requires power over coax. I have a similar AC Plug directly connected to a dedicated Power IN port on my amp.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

said by keyzip13:

Generally no, but i need a close up pix of the splitter it was plugged into to answer your questions. That plug just provides power to an amp or some other device that requires power over coax. I have a similar AC Plug directly connected to a dedicated Power IN port on my amp.

Ahh, I will see if I can get some, but there are so many. Old, brand new (from TWC), etc. We tried various, but they don't seem to matter much. I think there are just too many splitters all over the place (who knows if there are more unseen like hidden behind the walls)! Like I said, removing one fixes issues in the problematic room where cable modem, DVR, network devices, etc. are.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
That Adapter with the coaxial cable in it is to provide power to the Dish. The Dish on your roof does not plug in to a 110v outlet, but the receiving end of it (the LNB) needs a little power to operate, and gets it from the coax that leads up to it. Those adapters provide power to the line going to the dish. That's NOT the same as a CATV amp.

That might be your best bet though, get a amplifier that is also a splitter, and replace the splitter you think may be taking the signal down too much.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Sketch out how the wiring and spitters are put together and feeding each room. We'll tell you how to fix it.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to keyzip13

Premium Member

to keyzip13
said by keyzip13:

That plug just provides power to an amp or some other device that requires power over coax.

Yup, in his case the dish on his roof.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by maartena:

said by keyzip13:

That plug just provides power to an amp or some other device that requires power over coax.

But can it be used with TWC? :P

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by antdude:

Depends on what it is connected to. I've seen similar power bricks connected to cable amps or satellite multiswitches, but they're not interchangeable devices.

Obviously it has have the right power voltage and amperage ratings for what it's connected to. I've seen cable amps range from 9v-24v, 500ma-2A, but they should have labels indicating output and input ratings on both amp and power supply. There also might be power inserters between the device and power pack, which look like 2-way splitters in many cases.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

said by antdude:

Depends on what it is connected to. I've seen similar power bricks connected to cable amps or satellite multiswitches, but they're not interchangeable devices.

Obviously it has have the right power voltage and amperage ratings for what it's connected to. I've seen cable amps range from 9v-24v, 500ma-2A, but they should have labels indicating output and input ratings on both amp and power supply. There also might be power inserters between the device and power pack, which look like 2-way splitters in many cases.

Hmm, they don't remember seeing the amps and multiswitches. I guess it is useless without those! Bah.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by maartena:

said by keyzip13:

It does not amplify a signal. It only is used to provide power to a coaxial-powered device. Technically speaking, you could purchase an in-line signal amplifier that you can use with this particular model power adapter, e.g. when the amplifier needs to be placed in a spot where there is no power nearby.

In reality though, when you buy a cable TV amplifier of that particular style, you probably get a adapter with it, so why make it difficult on yourself.

Just buy an affordable amp, they run for $30-40 at your local electronics store, and install it on the line that goes to the "bad" splitter, and maybe you won't even need to replace the splitter.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by maartena:

It does not amplify a signal. It only is used to provide power to a coaxial-powered device. Technically speaking, you could purchase an in-line signal amplifier that you can use with this particular model power adapter, e.g. when the amplifier needs to be placed in a spot where there is no power nearby.

In reality though, when you buy a cable TV amplifier of that particular style, you probably get a adapter with it, so why make it difficult on yourself.

Just buy an affordable amp, they run for $30-40 at your local electronics store, and install it on the line that goes to the "bad" splitter, and maybe you won't even need to replace the splitter.

Any good ones to get from the local retail stores that can be returned? Radio Shack, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Walmart, etc.?

Would this be a problem during local power outages for cable services like phone and Internet? Or does cable amps come with their own batteries?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by antdude:

Any good ones to get from the local retail stores that can be returned? Radio Shack, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Walmart, etc.?

Would this be a problem during local power outages for cable services like phone and Internet? Or does cable amps come with their own batteries?

F#$% no, they all sell crap amps. Best place is the net where you can buy the same amps or better than cable ops use. The PCT previously linked to is good.

None of the house amps I've seen come with batteries. Some do have a unamplified passthrough port intended to connect to eMTAs or modems.

Really you have to sketch out the wiring diagram and figure how it's all connected together (preferably with signal levels) before just shoving an amp in.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

said by antdude:

F#$% no, they all sell crap amps. Best place is the net where you can buy the same amps or better than cable ops use. The PCT previously linked to is good.

None of the house amps I've seen come with batteries. Some do have a unamplified passthrough port intended to connect to eMTAs or modems.

Ugh, online ordering is a pain especially when having to return the items. Wait, if the local retail stores aren't good like TWC's, then why use TWC's? Actually, does TWC retail stores even carry them to get one to try and return at least? Last Saturday, we asked for another free splitter to try. Ha.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

The amps TWC will install are good. TWC retail doesn't sell them. TWC wants a tech to figure out and fix any wiring problems before installing an amp.

Retail amps are crap for people who have little understanding of how cable systems actually work. They're sold to people who are convinced "higher signal is better".

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
You can buy one local to see if it works. If it doesn't, you can always return it and opt for the internet link DrDrew gave.

No, they don't come with batteries. They don't need to come with batteries either, just plug it in. If you lose power, so will your televisions. No need to amplify a signal if the receiving television can't even be turned on.

Your modem should be as close as possible to the point of entry to the house, and if you want you can put the modem and a wireless router on a UPS, so you have internet on your mobile devices and laptops.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
1. How many devices actually need to be connected to the cable system?
2. How many are modems and cable boxes?
keyzip13
Anaheim, CA

3 recommendations

keyzip13 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

I agree. Go online and buy a decent quality amp.

Dont bother with replacing splitters or buying amps yet. You need to calculate out your signal strength and audit your physical cable infrastructure.

Like DrDrew said sketch out what you have and what you are planning to do and we can provide suggestions.

Info we need:
1. Signal level prior to any splitters upstream and downstream (I used a cable modem)
2. Are your cables RG6 or RG59? (It should have them printed on the cable)
3. Sketch showing splitters and end devices. (see link below)

Good link to read more about CATV splitters and loss »www.swhowto.com/VideoLoss.htm

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

You can buy one local to see if it works. If it doesn't, you can always return it and opt for the internet link DrDrew gave.

No, they don't come with batteries. They don't need to come with batteries either, just plug it in. If you lose power, so will your televisions. No need to amplify a signal if the receiving television can't even be turned on.

Your modem should be as close as possible to the point of entry to the house, and if you want you can put the modem and a wireless router on a UPS, so you have internet on your mobile devices and laptops.

Well, the coax cable goes through the house in the attic, walls, etc. to spread.
antdude

antdude to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

1. How many devices actually need to be connected to the cable system?
2. How many are modems and cable boxes?

There is a TV in every room with their cable boxes (bye bye unencrypted QAM soon). Just one cable modem.