spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mistcane
join:2012-11-02
Elizabethtown, KY

mistcane

[Equip] Trying to connect my Motorola SBG6580 to my SMCD3G-CCR

I got a Comcast business line installed today and lost my router/modem gateway. I pulled my SBG6580 out of the closet in hopes to use it as a router only, but can't get anywhere trying to get connectivity. It has been a while since I setup a router so maybe it's just me wiring it incorrectly. I talked to a Comcast rep but they wouldn't really help since it's not their router. They directed me to plug my router into the modem and to split the coax going to my modem and plug that in as well. What strikes me as odd is the modem doesn't have a WAN out, just the basic 4 ports. The rep said that didn't matter, which I'm still unsure about.

Basically all I'd like is a bit of guidance on how exactly to wire this, and how to configure my SBG6580 to not be used as a modem, only a router. Current setup is a split coax going to both router modem, PC hard wired to modem, and router wired into one of the 4 ports on the modem. Comcast won't help me unless I pay like $50 diagnostic fee, so I could really use the help from you guys before I stoop to paying them.

Thanks!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

[Equip] Re: Trying to connect my Motorola SBG6580 to my SMCD3G-CCR

Unless the SBG6580 has a "LAN-as-WAN" option, I don't see how you can use it as a router.