uniqs
share rss forum feed

DoctorDoom
Troll hunter
Premium
join:2006-09-19
Becket, MA

[HN9000] HN9000 very slow

Over the past several days I've noticed a major slowdown on file downloads, updates to Malwarebytes definitions, etc. Where I was getting over 400 KB/s on files, it has dropped to under 200. Updates crawl in at well under 100, sometimes comparable to dial-up. Am I alone on this? Does the box need a digital exorcism?

Peace and blessings!
--
HN9000, Pro Plus, Spaceway 3

Diverod

join:2013-06-04
Citra, FL
Brings back memories when I was on the HN9000.

The more I downloaded the slower it became. Hughes has multiple ways of monitoring/controlling (limiting) your bandwidth usage. I always felt I was being targeted to force an upgrade to gen4.

I kept declining the upgrade and went with Exede-12 instead. So far it's been great and wish I'd switched sooner. Fantastic speeds (usually around 18.6) and a truly unlimited LNFZ.

Soulsbane

@184.52.44.x
reply to DoctorDoom
Same here. Was trying to download linux mint 17 iso last night and only got 18% finished. Mine has also dropped to below 200. The only thing that has increased is the number of Gen4 upgrade I get via snailmail and email

DoctorDoom
Troll hunter
Premium
join:2006-09-19
Becket, MA
reply to DoctorDoom
As of about 10:30 PM EDT, I did a couple of tests at »www.speedtest.net/. Both resulted in download speeds of 0.05 Mbps and upload speeds of 0.11 Mbps. I also tried »speedtest.comcast.net/, and got the same DL speed (I wasn't patient enough to wait for it to finish).

0.05 Mbps is 50 Kbps or 6.25 KBps. That's roughly twice what I get with dialup. IMO, Hughes is giving a world-class screwing to its users.
--
HN9000, Pro Plus, Spaceway 3

Sad Man

@67.142.183.x
I agree with all of you. Ever since they launched Gen 4 my speeds have declined. The last 6 months have been bad, but the last 3 weeks have been awful. Hughes is the new dialup. I don't want to upgrade because of higher costs and no more nighttime unlimited downloads. I truly don't know what to do. As a rural user my choices are Hughes, Hughes, or Hughes :-(

Diverod

join:2013-06-04
Citra, FL
Sad Man

Have checked out Excede? It's still satellite but the prices are comparable and they do have unlimited downloads from 12am to 5am on Exede-12 and I saw an alternate time frame if bundled with some other service. It didn't cost me anything for the install.

Sad Man

@67.142.183.x
Thanks, I'll check it out. I was just checking out Gen 4 because I can't stand it anymore. I just called my brother and he is happy with exceed, so I will go to their site now.