spc
Search similar:

uniqs

meera
@206.47.210.x

meera

Anon

unusual internet usage reported by Roger for internet

We recently got a notification from Rogers saying that we have used up 75% of our internet, 8th day in the billing cycle.. we have 120 GB. So I checked out daily usage. on July 4,2014- it says we used up 66 GB. that is not possible. we were not even home that day. our network is secure. we don't download movies. we don't have torrents or net flix.

called up rogers. they have no explanation. Their response was either some is hacking into our network or there is a virus on the Pc. we have one PC and two laptops.

I did virus scans on all PC and laps tops. no viruses found.

I am at a loss. There is no way we used 66 GB in one day. We average using 1-2 GB a day.

any explanation for this?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

That's standard for Rogers, deflect and it's your fault.

I would suggest turning off your network connection (disable), give it a minute, turn it back on give it 5 minutes and then shell to to DOS and do a netstat -a -b > net.txt.

That will tell you what ports are opened and what application is using those ports.

it will quickly tell you if there is something funky going on at home.

Meera
@206.47.210.x

Meera

Anon

thank you
Meera

Meera to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
the router logs show we only used up 12 GB till today, Rogers shows we have used up 100 GB. of course, Rogers will not believe this when I tell them. I was told "don't go by those numbers on the router, go by the numbers on the website. they are more accurate." How convenient.

can the router be the problem? reporting wrong information to Rogers. should we swap it?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Router is not the problem.

Most likely its a dup'd MAC. Rogers has experienced this quite often. Is the modem a Rogers one, or do you own it?
fazon
join:2010-02-01

fazon

What exactly does that mean? Does that mean someone is spoofing their MAC ID so Rogers thinks the usage is coming from elsewhere?

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser to meera

to meera
What speed do you have?
malim
join:2014-07-30
Canada

malim to meera

to meera
Having exactly the same problem. Rogers claims that I used 86 GB of data in one day while i used less than 10GB. I have installed DD-WRT on my router to track the usage.

Also, I created my own topic. Feel free to chime in HERE