All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cyberdome
join:2014-03-02

1 edit

cyberdome

[Equip] Can Anyone suggest a good Router that works best with comcast?

[Equip] Xfinity SMCD3GNV,

I have this Xfinity SMCD3GNV crappy router. It is not helping my servers. I have multiple servers so I need a reliable modem/router device. Also, I need port forwarding rules. I am having issues with this one. I cannot add more than 9 port forwarding rules. I cannot access WAN sites from internal LAN. it will not double route. I really don't like this xfinity modem at all. I am paying a fee for this. what options do I have?

Any good routers I can use with this that are reasonable priced?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 recommendations

graysonf

MVM

[Equip] Re: Can Anyone suggest a good Router that works best with comcast?

Best option is to buy a Comcast approved bridging only modem (not a gateway or router) so that you can avoid the monthly rental fee. It doesn't matter much which one you get because being only a bridge there is nothing inside it to set or bother with. Buy this from a known reliable retail outlet, not on ebay or Craig's List which might offer you stolen or not returned to Comcast equipment that will not be activated by Comcast.

Next, buy an ethernet-ethernet router. There are so many to chose from that I won't even begin to suggest one, and since I don't use a purchased router myself, I am not knowledgeable on what's out there these days. I run freeware m0n0wall router software on an ALIX box.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

telcodad to cyberdome

MVM

to cyberdome
And for router recommendations, see this previous thread: »[Speed] Comcast extreme 105 - what router to buy?

EDIT: Comcast also has their list of home wireless routers/gateways that they have tested and approved as capable/compatible with IPv6: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· egateway
nirvy
join:2003-11-16
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

1 recommendation

nirvy to graysonf

to graysonf
What the heck is a bridging only modem?

I have a Motorola SURFboard SB6120 with a Linksys E2000 (firmware upgraded to Shibby Tomato v120. it's fantastic, but it's an old router)

Modem:
You can't go wrong with the SB6141 »www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJHDZSI

Router: You want a fast router. The one I have cannot handle QoS for my download speed, only my upload. (57/12Mbps) That's why it's a good idea to get a current and fast router. QoS is almost a requirement to set up these days especially if you're a gamer.

This is the one I would get. It's a little spendy but future proof. I have a friend who just got this one:
ASUS RT-AC66U »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33320115

Maybe I'm traditional or old school, but I feel that's really the best way to go. I should probably learn about bridge mode because maybe it's better, but I doubt it.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to cyberdome

to cyberdome
if you're technically proficient (and it sounds like you might be), and have/want to gain some Linux sensibilities, i might recommend the EdgeRouter from Ubiquiti. Specifically, the EdgeRouter Lite is ~$98.

see here »[Equip] EdgeRouter with Comcast?

what others have mentioned about bridging is relevant; if you want to continue to use the SMCD3GNV along with any separate router, you will have to get Comcast to put it into (and keep it in) bridge mode. Might be better to buy a standalone modem as well. Either the SB6141, or the Zoom 5341J (my preferred)

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf to nirvy

MVM

to nirvy
A bridging only modem has no router or wireless capability. All it can do is hand you an public IP address. I have a Zoom 5341J.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to cyberdome

Premium Member

to cyberdome

Re: [Equip] Can Anyone suggest a good Router that works best with comcast?

Are you on their Business Class service with statically assigned IP addresses from them ? Do you also use it for their phone service ?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by EG:

Are you on their Business Class service with statically assigned IP addresses from them ? Do you also use it for their phone service ?

isn't the SMCD3GNV a residential gateway, not business? (»na.smc.com/products/resi ··· smcd3gnv) i know i've been told that phone service on business class requires a separate modem anyways..

camit34
join:2014-07-10

camit34 to cyberdome

to cyberdome
I have my own SB6141 for the modem to Comcast and a Lynksys WRT1900AC direct connect to the modem. The wireless and wired parts of the WRT are great. I also have an 8 port gigabit switch off one of the ports on the WRT, works perfect.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

sn't the SMCD3GNV a residential gateway, not business?

You tell me ?
cyberdome
join:2014-03-02

cyberdome to EG

to EG
I have a residential account. This CRAPPY smc router is just pure BS. I hate it. whenever i reboot this thing. It keeps changing IPs.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Hard to imagine how your IP changes with just a router reboot.

If I need to get a new IP I have to change the Comcast facing NIC MAC address.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to cyberdome

Premium Member

to cyberdome
Why are you running servers on a dynamic residential IP?

Forgetting that, any dumb modem + good router will work. I've just upgraded my home router to the Asus RT-AC66U and a Surfboard SB6141 as the dumb modem. Working great. The Asus stock firmware is linux under the hood, or you can use third party firmware if you want.

It does ipv6 as well, if your area supports it.

Before I dropped in the Ausu, I was using a linux box to do the routing/firewall behind the SB - really anything would work better than the stuff comcast rents you.