signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

The beginning of garden food season here

So I've been having my sister's fantastic lettuce for salads for a couple weeks now, and I'm making my first pasta sauce with her herbs (basil, lemon thyme, oregano, parsley) and the tomatoes are still green but they're coming soon. She's got a green thumb but her onions don't seem to form well: They get greens that are 5 feet tall or even taller, and huge, and yet the onion bulb is only an inch. I think she needs more phosphorus, but she only wants to use manure. Anyone know of tricks?

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

squirt

MVM

I've never had much luck with onions. Trying again this year, but I don't think they like our soil.

The lettuce, peas, and beans are doing great.

The beets and carrots look like they are coming along pretty good.

Hard to tell about the cucumber and squash. Lots of growth but not many flowers.

And there are lots and lots and lots of raspberries ripening now.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

rusdi to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
Blood meal, and chicken manure for onions, and garlic!

My wife swears by it. she says, "go easy with the chicken manure, it's easy to do too much, it's VERY strong, and could burn up the bulbs".

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Blood meal, ey? I'll pass that along. I want her to grow me some eggplants but eggplants are the bane of her existance, she detests them. My auntie is in a graden coop and we had ratatouille with the eggplants and squashes from it, oh my gawd it was good.