spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

[Comcast Equip] Will there ever be one comcast ?

In NJ we have 3 comcasts maybe more, But if i visit an office 1 mile from work. There boxes don't work on my system in Hillsborough. The same goes for Comcast of Mercer. Why cant comcast get its act together and have one unified system ? Never mind channel numbers that is also to great a task for them .

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[Comcast Equip] Re: Will there ever be one comcast ?

Odds are, they were probably different cable systems. In particular, some areas may have been Motorola-based, others SA based. They communicate different, so require different boxes. It's expen$ive to replace all the boxes and equipment.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to DaveDude

to DaveDude
maybe someday there will be a hybrid cablecard and box and hybrid ready CMTS..... Moto / Cisco ready with auto detection... until then it's not easy to do integration of regions

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by neufuse:

maybe someday there will be a hybrid cablecard and box and hybrid ready CMTS..... Moto / Cisco ready with auto detection... until then it's not easy to do integration of regions

hmm hybrid ready CMTS isn't even needed lol. Right now TWC has in Cisco (SA) based systems (Cisco, Samsung, and Motorola (ARRIS)) boxes running Navigator using a Cisco CableCard for authentication lol.

Bananrama
@68.83.235.x

Bananrama to DaveDude

Anon

to DaveDude

Re: [Comcast Equip] Will there ever be one comcast ?

All of the local Comcast offices act as independent markets.

It's just like McDonald's. There's a national company overseeing the whole thing, but everything operational is at the local level.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner

said by Bananrama :

All of the local Comcast offices act as independent markets.

It's just like McDonald's. There's a national company overseeing the whole thing, but everything operational is at the local level.

Its no where near like Mcdonalds. When was the last time you saw McDonalds buy a local Burger King or Taco Bell and convert it to a McDonalds?

Comcast has different markets that had existing equipment that worked a certain way when aquired. Comcast is not going to spend a lot of money to standardize channel maps, equipment, oob channels when there is no real benefit to doing so.

There is only one Comcast, but it is a summation of its parts. As far as I know there is no existing cable system that allows for universal use of all cableboxes across all of their markets.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by rendrenner:

Its no where near like Mcdonalds. When was the last time you saw McDonalds buy a local Burger King or Taco Bell and convert it to a McDonalds?

A little OT, but I've seen recently Hardees/Carls Jr buy a Burger King and convert it to a Hardees locally

A national Channel Map would be a good first step for Comcast

X1 is pretty much the same OS independent of Cisco/SA or Arris/Moto market, correct?

And while U-Verse isnt really Cable as it is IPTV, the Moto/Arris, Cisco/SA, and 2Wire/Pace receivers are interchangable, across the country. Some markets are set as Moto/Arris and others SA/Cisco, but the receivers work in all markets

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by ILpt4U:

A national Channel Map would be a good first step for Comcast.

Comcast has been (painfully) slow in rolling out their Master Channel Lineup (MCLU) over the last few years, but will probably not do anything more with that now until (if and when) the merger with TWC goes though (with some posters wondering if Comcast would then adopt TWC's standardized lineup).

See: »sd and hd channel number match +1000
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

comcast also needs to add SDV or at least add in the part time sports feeds in HD.
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

cheeseman to rendrenner

to rendrenner
It's like McDonald's in that "price and participation may vary". Eg, there are some markets in the northeast that did not get the April 50->105 speed rollout.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit

Dan A to DaveDude

to DaveDude
I have been on Comcast sites and apps that tell me that Hillsborough is my closet service center to spite the fact that I know (and my bills clearly tells me) i have to go to East Brunswick or East Windsor .
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

Re: [Comcast Equip] Re: Will there ever be one comcast ?

So doe Cox their whole home DVR is Cisco in all areas even in Motorola headends. So they already are here.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to DaveDude

MVM

to DaveDude

Re: [Comcast Equip] Will there ever be one comcast ?

Maybe this is one of the reasons why Comcast has their eyes on TWC. As I see it, TWC is king at video. They are aggressively rolling out a national channel lineup. They are FAR ahead of Comcast in this sense. Sure 1-99 will remain the same (unique per market), but 100 and up will be the same everywhere. Also if it's HD equipment running at an HD resolution, it will automatically tune the feed in HD format, completely eliminating that issue where you go to a bar, restaurant, doctors office, your family members, etc... and see them on the wrong channel number displaying SD content blown up on their HDTV.

Comcast is really good at Internet. They are fast, they are metro Ethernet carrier of the year multiple years in a row. They are leading in IPv6 deployment, and they were the most aggressive when it came to DOCSIS 3.0 deployment. You pair their expertise in IP and Telephony with Time Warner's expertise in Video, and if they were to truly combine it could be a resource powerhouse.

I wouldn't compare Comcast to a McDonalds either. You go to any McD's and get a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder, it's all the same. Tastes the same, looks the same, etc.. You go from one Comcast system to the next, and there are missing channels, different guides or differnet speeds, or some don't have as many HD's, and all the channels are on different places. Anywhere you go to, a McDonalds #1 value meal is a Big Mac, Fries and a drink.

Yes they can use either Moto/Arris or SA/Cisco gear on a plant with the proper overlay, firmware versions and provisioning software. Its done today with Time Warner. But remember Time Warner is an expert in video. From CA overlays to SDV, to a huge HD lineup... these are the assets Comcast could be looking to add to their portfolio in this proposed merger.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

Well then wouldn't make very easy common sense, to have both type of services cisco/motorola available at most service locations, so they can provide some level of customer service?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by ILpt4U:

A national Channel Map would be a good first step for Comcast.

Comcast has been (painfully) slow in rolling out their Master Channel Lineup (MCLU) over the last few years, but will probably not do anything more with that now until (if and when) the merger with TWC goes though (with some posters wondering if Comcast would then adopt TWC's standardized lineup).

See: »sd and hd channel number match +1000

Just saw these statements by Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds") in a recent thread in the Comcast Support forum. I wonder if this indicates that Comcast is getting ready to restart the roll-out of their MCLU scheme to more markets soon?

why did you put in a 4 digit channel number? Giant hassle!
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· /2313977
said by ComcastTeds :

:
Many of our customers have had four digit channel numbers for some time. We are starting to align channels in many areas so that there is a more consistent channel lineup across our footprint. Thanks for your patience.
:
We are scheduled to start delivering additional channels that use four digits in additional areas.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Yeah ok, sure. I think its going to take merging with TWC and swallowing up Time Warner's expertise on this. Comcast should take Time Warner's master channel lineup along with the Auto HD and increase in HD channel content.

I was using a Comcast system in Wildwood NJ and it was confusing to have HD in 800's, followed by SD in 900's then HD again in 1000's. WTF were they on?
mohoel
join:2001-01-16
Blue Springs, MO

mohoel to DaveDude

to DaveDude
Speaking of "one comcast", how about being able to have ONE help desk / chat / CSR rep be able to talk to me about both the X1 TV and Cable internet problems at the same time? The other day, I had a case from online chat to have a tech visit on Friday, then a chat later the same evening on the X1 side resulted in another case, with another tech visit for Monday. I could not do anything to get the two cases / tech visits merged, but alas the Friday visit never occurred.

Yeah, one comcast would be nice...

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

I think its going to take merging with TWC and swallowing up Time Warner's expertise on this. Comcast should take Time Warner's master channel lineup along with the Auto HD and increase in HD channel content.

There is little expertise required to develop and implement a master channel lineup. The desire to do so is required, however.

There is little expertise required to implement AutoHD. The desire to do so is required, however.

There is little expertise required to increase HD channel content. The desire to do so is required, however.

My point is that the items that your messages have been repeating are not some magical technical knowledge or expertise that Time Warner has and that Comcast does not have. The items in your messages are all well-known and well-understood technical solutions.

The issue is not whether or not Comcast has (or needs via the Time Warner merger) the technical ability to implement those technical solutions.

The issue is whether or not Comcast wants to implement those technical solutions and Comcast's timeline for doing so.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I guess it's good that Time Warner wanted to do those things. Their lineup was a complete disorganized mess (worse than Comcast). So their big push of a master lineup was and is greatly needed. They have always been the leader in HD, but I think between SDV and having more 870 MHz systems (as opposed to Comcasts 750 MHz), that gave TWC the edge.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Different corporations have different goals and different priorities to reach those goals.

Personally, I think that SDV is a miasmic band-aid® of a solution that does little more than buy some time until a company can sell itself.

TWC's 870MHz capability is a real plus. Kudos to them for going in that direction.

I'm the first to admit that Comcast's HD offerings are only fair. At times I think I'm being kind with that opinion.

I do fault Comcast for wanting to grow the company more than it appears to want to increase the HD offerings it provides for its customers. But that was (is?) Comcast's business decision. Comcast made the decision for business reasons, to reach their business goals, and not because of any lack of technical knowledge or technical capability.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by camper:

Different corporations have different goals and different priorities to reach those goals.

Personally, I think that SDV is a miasmic band-aid® of a solution that does little more than buy some time until a company can sell itself.

What about for part time channels?

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

The question that should be answered is: at what point does part time channel become video on demand or streaming?

The "channel" is really a full-time channel that has varying content over the course of time. Stated differently, the channel is full-time, but the content of that channel changes. Similar to a variety show.....
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

talking about overflow channels and or stuff like red zone, goal line, Etc.

Also have NHL CI, NBA LP, MLB EI (manly remaps on dish and directv)

you also have NFL ST that is added feeds for 1 day.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Joe12345678:

talking about overflow channels and or stuff like red zone, goal line, Etc....

As was I.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad to camper

MVM

to camper

Re: [Comcast Equip] Master Channel Lineup rolling out to more areas soon?

Looks like there may be some movement on rolling out the Master Channel Lineup (MCLU) to some more markets soon, given this page that someone on the Comcast Customer Support forum just found (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ch ··· /2477097).

Welcome to the new XFINITY Channel Lineup
»ly.comcast.com/xflineup/

EDIT: On the other hand, the fine print at the bottom of that page has "2010 © Comcast" in it, so I guess we shouldn't hold our breath then.

caster
@198.41.85.x

caster

Anon

With Standard channels remaining the same there is no room for the sub channels and other local stuff in 1-99 / 1002-1099.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by caster :

With Standard channels remaining the same there is no room for the sub channels and other local stuff in 1-99 / 1002-1099.

I think by "standard" channels they mean mainly the OTA broadcast ones for that area. So hopefully most areas can be accomodated with 99 channel slots.

The basic, standard "cable" channels start at Channel 100/1100.

Here is a list that I compiled a year ago (so some some channels may have changed names since then) of what some of the News/TV/Music HD channel slots (1100 - 1499) appeared to be on the MCLU:

1105 Fox News HD
1106 CNN HD
1107 CNN Headline News HD
1108 MSNBC HD
1111 The Weather Channel HD
1115 CNBC HD
1116 Bloomberg HD
1117 Fox Business HD
1125 C-SPAN HD
1126 C-SPAN 2 HD
1130 NECN HD

1205 USA HD
1206 TNT HD
1207 FX HD
1208 Syfy HD
1209 Spike HD
1216 WGN America HD
1220 TBS HD
1221 Comedy Central HD
1225 BBC America HD
1231 Crime & Investigation HD
1232 Investigation Discovery HD
1240 Universal HD
1241 AXS TV HD
1242 Velocity HD
1250 Discovery HD
1251 Science Channel HD
1260 Animal Planet HD
1261 National Geographic HD
1262 Nat Geo Wild HD
1265 Smithsonian HD
1270 History HD
1271 H2 HD
1280 Food Network HD
1281 Cooking Channel HD
1285 Travel Channel HD
1290 HGTV HD
1291 DIY Network HD
1292 Destination America HD

1305 Lifetime HD
1307 Hallmark Channel HD
1308 WE TV HD
1311 QVC HD
1312 Home Shopping Network HD
1315 Jewelry TV HD
1316 TV Guide Entertainment HD
1318 EWTN HD
1325 Game Show Network HD
1330 A&E HD
1331 Biography HD
1332 Bravo HD
1334 Oxygen HD
1340 E! HD
1341 Style HD
1345 Ovation
1350 TLC HD
1351 truTV HD
1360 TV One HD
1361 BET HD
1368 Galavision HD

1405 MTV HD
1406 VH-1 HD
1407 CMT HD
1420 Fuse HD
1421 Palladia HD
1435 GMC HD

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL

scjohnson

We have the MCLU here, I'll try to help out with this list.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by scjohnson:

We have the MCLU here, I'll try to help out with this list.

OK, thanks.

I guess of the three Indiana markets listed on this page »ly.comcast.com/xflineup/ ··· eup.html , Logansport is the closest to you.

Here's the MCLU channel listing that was supplied for them: »ly.comcast.com/xflineup/ ··· port.pdf

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL

1 edit

scjohnson

I suspect that page is old as I am on the Lafayette cable system. Those channel numbers are the same as I am seeing however, but I have quite a few more.