share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Security] pir motion detector question

I was awaken by a call that the alarm was going off at the church and so I went to the location and I was the first to enter and the alarm for the chapel area was sending the unit into alarm.. However nothing was moving in that area.. so I was wondering does room heat or air currents or high humidity have a effect on the sensor?

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5

[Security] Re: pir motion detector question

Some are set fairly high and squirrels can set them off.. also bats.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Lol none inside.. The area where it was set off is facing a door

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Mice was a favorite at the Vocational School in High School. The auto body guys kept the night guard busy .....

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
It can pick up something that small? Lol he had a way to run.. down a long hallway.. past double doors and into another room. . That's a good 200ft

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
if he was ON the detector it will go off for a mouse, otherwise it takes something over 50# or so depending on the device.

The most common reason for a false is undersized/bad batteries and having a power blip. The alarm at our office used to false all the time due to the sheer number of motions/glass breaks/smokes we had on it. First the alarm company put a second power supply on it, then they finally listened and put a larger battery. No falses on power blips after that.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

bronco85

join:2003-09-09
Grover, NC
reply to Subaru
Spiders and small bugs can craw in them. It could be just going bad. I would assume the system came with the building?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yeah well I found out what it was I'm going to warn the person to don't repeat it or he will have a visit with a police car

Boooost

@24.190.186.x
said by Subaru:

Yeah well I found out what it was I'm going to warn the person

So it sounds like the motion detector was working as intended?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yeah but I don't understand why they don't have glass sensors unless they feel the pir is enough. . But I armed the sensor and walked right in front of one and it never went off. . However down the hallway it tripped the alarm

bmetelsky
Premium
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH
reply to Subaru
So.....what happened? Why did the alarm go off?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I posted in the other thread.. guy doing the ac some how got in and started walking around setting off the alarm so we are billing him because the doors were locked at the time of the alarm

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Subaru:

I posted in the other thread.. guy doing the ac some how got in and started walking around setting off the alarm so we are billing him because the doors were locked at the time of the alarm

Lucky you. We have to provide an inspection certificate to the local police every year and if we have more than one false alarm call in a year, they bill us $300 per incident.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I think it's $120 or $150 per now.. I should of said a person was inside and send the cops to really scare him from doing it again

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Alarm security:

»youtu.be/rV2dH81d9ng

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to Subaru
Many years ago I worked in a high national security location. One evening, the lady in the last office down the hall was working late, and the next to last person leaving the office didn't check all the way down the hall. She turned off the lights in the front room, set the alarm, and locked up on her way out the door. Laura was unaware, just sitting at her desk quietly reading for another 10-15 minutes, but then turned in her chair to get some papers behind her, setting off the motion sensor. A minute later 3 police officers burst in with weapons drawn. Scared the living s**t out of her...

life in the fast lane
dw

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Bet she never did something like that again!

Boooost

@24.190.186.x
reply to dick white
Stuff like that happens all the time where I work, except that the guards just ignore the alarms.

contsole
Premium
join:2003-12-30
Wethersfield, CT
reply to Subaru

[Security] pir motion detector question

Years ago I was constantly getting false alarms. My PIR detectors had a jumper selection in them with a choice of 1 or 3. By changing it to 3 you had to (1)Enter a Beam, (2)Exit a beam and (3)Enter another beam for the PIR to report an alarm to the control panel. False trips went to zero.