All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cscoppa
join:2014-07-09

cscoppa

Three router solution - Take 2 - help needed

I attempted this tonight, but I ran into a snag because the secondary router I tried to use, an old Belkin F5D7230-4 that I literally found in the basement, won't allow a LAN IP that isn't 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x (private only) I did try the setup anyway with the LAN and WAN port roles reversed, but it didn't work... most likely because of a default gateway issue.

If anyone has any suggestions for a cheap router that will allow a public IP in the LAN address slot, I'd love to hear it. Apparently this particular model can't run DD-WRT with both LAN and WAN ports active.... it's one or the other.

Also, I have a few MOCA boxes of my own, so I'll need for this new setup to still make those machines accessible to the internal LAN. (running MOCA for a few boxes that are hard to get CAT-5 to)

Thanks in advance for the help!
cscoppa

cscoppa

UPDATE: ok, so this is interesting. This morning I was playing around with my primary DVR and Remote DVR is WORKING, despite still being on a 2 router setup (LAN to LAN from the FAQ)

I did enter port forward rules for 4567, 63145 and 35000 ... even the Caller ID test I did from the box worked.

This is awesome, question is how long can I keep it operational...

Here's the way I have my rules setup in the primary router (RT-AC68U w/ Merlin build)