spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dsivie
join:2014-07-12
USA

dsivie

[Networking] MI424WR Rev. I causing Hawking Access Point to crash

I was just given an upgrade from the Rev. F router to the Rev. I . Now, the strangest thing is happening to my access point.

I have long used a Hawking HD45B wireless access point to extend the wireless range of the Rev. F. I had a very simple setup and I followed the rules in the FAQ for doing this. I connected a 1 meter Cat 5e cable straight from the Hawking to the Rev. F. DHCP was disabled on the Hawking and it was given an IP of 192.168.1.2 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The Rev. F router's DHCP range was moved to 192.168.1.11 - 192.168.1.254 with Subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I disabled wireless on the Rev. F because the Hawking's range was longer and satisfied my needs.

This configuration worked perfectly until I got the Rev. I. When installing the Rev. I, I did a full factory reset on both the Rev. I and the Hawking. I re-entered all of the previously mentioned configuration settings. My wired PC connected to both the Hawking and the Rev. I works fine using DHCP.

Now, the big problem is the Hawking's wireless access. I set the Hawking to use wireless N with no password 2.4 ghz. I have always used these settings with my portable devices and they work fine. Now, however, when I power on the the Hawking, I can join the network and get internet connectivity on my devices for like a minute, and then the wireless stops responding and I lose connectivity. Suddenly, I can no longer join the network wirelessly. I have my laptop connected to a wired port on the Hawking and I am able to continue to get connectivity for a little while longer, but then that stops working. It takes a power cycle of the Hawking to start the process over and it just keeps doing the same thing.

This MUST be related to the Rev. I. I put the Rev. F back with the same configuration and everything works perfectly. I try and monitor the status of the Hawking by doing a continual ping of it from a PC plugged into the Rev. I. The Hawking responds fine to pings for like a minute and then promptly stops at roughly the same time the connectivity drops. It is almost as if there is some memory structure in the Hawking that quickly fills up and gets overloaded causing the whole device to freeze up.

I am truly at my wits end here. I have even tried going through a screen by screen comparison of the Rev F and the Rev I configs to see if there are any substantive differences. The only thing unusual I notice on the Rev I. is on the Port Configuration screen. The WAN port is listed as connected at 10 Half-Duplex. This doesn't make sense because I am using a MOCA coax connection. The Rev F lists the WAN port as disabled.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I actually did find a possibly related post to this issue on the forum:

»[Networking] Actiontec Rev F Constant Reboot as Access Point

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

If the Hawking is being used as a Wireless Repeater rather than as an Access Point, have you disabled Auto Channel Scan on the ActionTec? The ActionTec might be detecting the Hawking as being nearby and changing the channel of it's radio as a result.
dsivie
USA

dsivie

The Hawking is definitely being used as an Access Point. The config pages are pretty simple and it clearly set as AP. Moreover, I have the Wireless Networking completely turned off on the Actiontec. I am using the Hawking only for Wireless because it has better range.

Thanks
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to dsivie

to dsivie
I suspect it may be the fact that you have no password set for the Hawking, but I could be wrong. Try setting a password and see if it works. The Rev I security is stronger than your old Rev F and it may somehow requiring a password on the extender.

>
dsivie
USA

dsivie

I tried that. I used a WPA2 Pre-Shared Key AES only. still does not work. Well I should amend that. I get connectivity on my wireless devices for like 1 minute and then it drops off. The thing is though, I'm not sure that the Rev I should even know that a Wireless Access point is connected to it if the Rev I's Wireless Radio is off.

All of the security and encryption details occur between the Hawking and wireless devices. The connection from the Hawking to the Ref I is by a Cat 5e cable. Security should not come into play in the connection between the Hawking and the Rev I

Thanks

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to dsivie

MVM

to dsivie
I know you are set up LAN to LAN with Rev.I and Hawking. What happens when you set up Hawking WAN to Actiontec LAN? Do you need both routers to be on the same subnet?
dsivie
USA

dsivie

The Hawking is not a Router. It has no Ethernet port labeled WAN. It is sold as an "Access Point/Bridge." I think it is more akin to a switch in the wired world. It does not create it's own NAT network.

Not sure about the need for the same subnet. My only need is to get the wireless devices to have Internet access.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

Try a different port. Is the hawking's ports 1G?
dsivie
USA

dsivie

All the Hawking ports are 1 Gigabit. I have tried using multiple ports

bluepoint

bluepoint

Did your Rev. I get the latest firmware 40.21.10.3 from Verizon? How about the Hawkings? Try to get the latest firmwares for both if not already.
dsivie
USA

dsivie

Yep. I updated the Hawking to the latest version 1.08. On the rev I I just checked and got the latest version.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to dsivie

to dsivie
I'm not sure how your extender works, but on mine (Netgear) the IP for the connected WiFi device gets it's IP from the main router. But the Netgear modified the first two characters of the MAC address before requesting and issuing an IP address from the router. This prevents any duplication in the routing table of the router. Maybe that's what's happening with the router. You might want to try to go into the router advanced settings, routing and delete all entries. Then reboot the router and let everything come up again. It may not help. But I would try it.
dsivie
USA

dsivie

My Hawking AP works the same way. The IP address for the wireless devices is obtained from the main router. I went into the Rev I's Advanced/Router/Routing settings, but all it has is a blank table for routing rules. It says "This page provides the ability to add, edit, or delete routing rules"

There are no rules in the table. I have checkmark options for:

Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) (checked) and

Domain Routing (add route entry according to interface from
which DNS record is received) (unchecked)

Is this what you are referring to?
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

So sorry. It's advanced settings, IP address distribution, connection list.
What IP is the extender getting?

bluepoint

2 edits

bluepoint to dsivie

to dsivie
When the clients lose connectivity, in a windows client, do you still get an IP from the DHCP server or you see an APIPA ip(169.xxx.xx.x)?
Have you tried another Ethernet cable at least a cat5e?

Ooops, I see that you are using a cat5e already, if you can, try another one maybe a cat6.
dsivie
USA

dsivie

The only wireless clients I currently have now are iOS devices. I'm actually getting a new Windows laptop next week so I can check this then. I have a windows desktop machine that has only wired ethernet that I use.

When the iOS devices lose connectivity, the network settings keep their previous ip. But I'm not sure that means anything. Because, I will tell my ipad to forget the Hawking network. When I attempt to rejoin, I get an "unable to join network messsage"
dsivie

dsivie to bluepoint

to bluepoint
Oh. I forgot. I have tried multiple cat 5e cables. I don't have a cat 6 in the house right now
dsivie

dsivie to PJL

to PJL
The Hawking Access Point has it's IP statically set. By default, the Hawking's IP is 192.168.1.241. That can be changed in the Hawkings configuration settings.

I check the IP address distribution table. The wireless devices are listed there. They are getting their IP's from the REV I's DHCP server (even though they are using the Wireless network on the Hawking.)

I checked their MAC addresses in the table. The MAC addresses are exactly matching the wireless device MAC addressed. No change was made to the MAC addresses in the table.

bluepoint

bluepoint to dsivie

to dsivie
Is the desktop connected to the hawkings Ethernet port? If yes, are you loosing connectivity on that one too?
What happens when you assign static ip's(reserve) for your iOS clients in the Actiontec's DHCP?
bluepoint

bluepoint to dsivie

to dsivie
When you assigned a static address(manually assigned) to the hawkings, make sure it's not within the DHCP range. If the DHCP range is .11-.254 your hawkings LAN ip's static assignment must be one from .2 to .10.
dsivie
USA

dsivie

I did try this. I set the Rev. I's DHCP range from 192.168.1.11 to .254. I manually assigned 192.168.1.10 to the Hawking. Did not seem to fix the problem

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to dsivie

MVM

to dsivie
said by dsivie:

The Hawking is not a Router. It has no Ethernet port labeled WAN.

I was confused by this statement in your original post which suggested router:
quote:
DHCP was disabled on the Hawking and it was given an IP of 192.168.1.2 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
I'll look up your model number later and review the operating manual for a better understanding.

Meanwhile, if there is some difference in the network activity between the Rev.F and the Rev.I, then a wireshark comparison may be useful. Just thinking out loud here: if the Rev.I is a requirement for VMS, then whether or not you have that equipment, perhaps there is network activity created by the Rev.I for successful VMS operation that is not present in the Rev.F

You've upgraded from F to I. Is the Rev.I replacement supposed to correct a problem? If you're not using wireless on Rev.I, and Rev.F works as desired, the solution is evident.
dsivie
USA

dsivie to bluepoint

to bluepoint
What happens here is interesting. I did a lot of testing with this. The Hawking has an external switch which turns on and off the wireless radio. When the Hawking's radio is off, it functions fine as a wired switch. I can plug my desktop into it and get connectivity to the Internet fine.

When I turn the radio on in the Hawking, however, is when strange things happen. I can join the the Hawking wireless network with my iPad and use the internet with it for about a minute and then it will lose connectivity. Then no device can join the Hawking's wireless network. However, even though the wireless network no longer works on the Hawking, my desktop plugged into the Hawking can still get onto the Internet. However, even this fails eventually. So my connectivity through the wired ports lasts maybe about 10 minutes, while the wireless connectivity lasts about 1 minute.

The only way to get everything working again requires a power cycle of the Hawking.

It seems that the process of joining the Hawking's wireless network and pulling data through it sets of a process that eventually renders the Hawking non-functional.
dsivie

dsivie

I just want to clarify something. I used the term "switch" in the first paragraph twice each time meaning something different. The first paragraph would be less confusing if I wrote it like this:

What happens here is interesting. I did a lot of testing with this. The Hawking has an external button which turns on and off the wireless radio. When the Hawking's radio is off, it functions fine as a wired switch. I can plug my desktop into it and get connectivity to the Internet fine.

bluepoint

bluepoint to dsivie

to dsivie
said by dsivie:

I can join the the Hawking wireless network with my iPad and use the internet with it for about a minute and then it will lose connectivity. Then no device can join the Hawking's wireless network. However, even though the wireless network no longer works on the Hawking, my desktop plugged into the Hawking can still get onto the Internet. However, even this fails eventually. So my connectivity through the wired ports lasts maybe about 10 minutes, while the wireless connectivity lasts about 1 minute.

When you lose connectivity to the desktop that is connected to the Ethernet port of the hawkings, what is the result of ipconfig /all from an elevated command prompt? Post it here minus the MAC.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

This really is beginning to sound like an IP address conflict...
dsivie
USA

dsivie to bluepoint

to bluepoint
The ipconfig /all from an Administrative user run cmd prompt follows this message. The computer I ran the "ipconfig /all" from is connected via cat5e cable right into the Hawking. The Hawking's DHCP server is turned off and the Rev I's DHCP server is turned on. Once I noticed I lost Internet connectivity on the desktop, I did a "ipconfig /renew". The command took a long time to return from. Again, the results from the "ipconfig /all" come after I did the "ipconfig /renew"

I did just notice something interesting. I took an older desktop PC and plugged it directly into the Rev. I. After connectivity dropped on the Hawking, I then tried using older desktop PC. It would not get an IP either. It got a strange 169.x.x.x ip adress. So, it seems like this problem even affects the DHCP server on the Rev. I. So, then I decided to try and assign a static IP to this older PC (the one connected directly to the Rev. I.) Even after rebooting, I could not get any connectivity to the internet either. OK, so then I decided to check on Internet connectivity from the FIOS TV boxes. I was able to watch On-Demand programming from the TV box (I think this goes through the Internet).

Then I tried something else interesting. I turned the wireless on on the Rev I. and repeated the above experiment. Everything the same happened. The Hawking wireless went bad. The desktop plugged into the Hawking lost its connectivity. The desktop plugged into the Rev. I lost connectivity. However, the ipad could get onto the wireless network generated by the Rev I. and use the internet fine.

This is getting maddening.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Down-Gateway
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : REDACTED
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::89d3:5422:bd0:9949%16(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.153.73(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335065430
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-5D-58-F9-D0-27-88-0C-70-73
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{0D517953-A6E6-4247-A41B-B6F1B6436DEF}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to dsivie

to dsivie
I know you say the Hawking gives better range ..

But for a test can you take the hawking out of the network, Turn WIFI on in the Actiontec and run with that for a bit to see if the problem occurs with the simpler setup. If it does you know it's not related to the Hawking.
dsivie
USA

dsivie

Oh. I've been doing this for a few days. It's the only way I can get any wireless in the house. I've primarily been using the Actiontec's wireless for the past couple days and I've had the Hawking completely disconnected from the network. It works fine so far.

The only time I bring the Hawking into the process is to perform the tests we talk about and to troubleshoot.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to dsivie

to dsivie
What IP address does the Hawkins have?