spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MattVMedia
join:2014-07-12

MattVMedia

VMedia DSL Connectivity (7/12/2014)

Hi Guys,

It has come to our attention that early this morning some of our DSL customers have been experiencing connection troubles, and it appears that in some cases our DSL Credentials were wiped from some of our modems, preventing authentication against our server. The good news is that this can easily be resolved, by simply re-entering your credentials back into the modem. I will provide detailed steps below for the modems which we supply.

VMedia (KW5863) ADSL2+ Modem/Router (DSL 6, DSL 10, DSL 15)
1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, Safari, and enter »192.168.31.1 into the address bar and press enter.
2. You will be prompted for a username and password. Enter “admin” for both and select “Log In”.
3. You will be taken to your modem default landing page. On the left side, you will notice a menu. Select “Advanced Setup”, and then “WAN Service”.
4. You will now see a table on the main page. Select the “Edit” button on the right.
5. Here, you will be prompted to enter the DSL Credentials that were emailed to you when you initially signed up. Where it says “PPP username”, enter the “Modem Login” (************@dev.vianetdsl.com) from the email. Where it says “PPP password”, enter the “Modem Password”.
6. After you have entered these two credentials, scroll down and select “next” until you get to a summary page, then select “apply/save”. After a few moments your modem will authenticate and you will be online.

SmartRG SR505n (DSL 25 & DSL 50)
1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, and enter »192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter.
2. Select “Manage Gateway” in the top right corner.
3. You will be prompted for a username and password. Enter “admin” for both and select “Log In”.
4. You will be taken to your modem default landing page. On the left side, you will notice a menu. Select “Advanced Setup”, and then “WAN Service”.
5. You will now see a table on the main page. Select the “Edit” button on the right.
6. Here, you will be prompted to enter the DSL Credentials that were emailed to you when you initially signed up. Where it says “PPP username”, enter the “Modem Login” (************@dev.vianetdsl.com) from the email. Where it says “PPP password”, enter the “Modem Password”.
7. After you have entered these two credentials, scroll down and select “next” until you get to a summary page, then select “apply/save”. After a few moments your modem will authenticate and you will be online.

Sagemcom 2864 (DSL 25 & DSL 50)
1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, and enter »192.168.2.1 into the address bar and press enter.
2. You will be prompted for a username and password. Enter “admin” for both and select “Log In”.
3. You will be taken to your modem default landing page (Bell Connection Hub). On the left side, you will notice a menu. Under “Settings”, select “Internet”.
4. Here, you will be prompted to enter the DSL Credentials that were emailed to you when you initially signed up. Where it says “User ID”, enter the “Modem Login” (************@dev.vianetdsl.com) from the email. Where it says “Password”, enter the “Modem Password”.
5. After you have entered these two credentials, scroll down and select “Save”. After a few moments your modem will authenticate and you will be online.

If anyone requires assistance, please contact our technical support department by phone (1-855-333-8269), and we will be happy to walk you through this procedure and ensure your connection is functioning as expected.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

Better question is how are the login credentials being erased from the modems... These are three separate brand modems, with very much different firmware structure.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to MattVMedia

to MattVMedia
Just like HiVolt said some sort of an explanation is necessary. I've never heard of such an issue and wonder how this is technically possible.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to MattVMedia

to MattVMedia
Is VinNet DSL the same company as VMedia?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Probably exploiting default login + remote access vulnerability.

On some trendchip based modems, remote access is just on by default. Couple that with admin/admin login... easy to access modem.

The SR505n has been having issues lately, Start's new FW closes TR-069 and their recommendation is to change the admin/admin login as well.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to MattVMedia

Premium Member

to MattVMedia
I know that Bell is capable of managing both SmartRG and Sagemcom modems even accidentally anywhere on the DSL network. They shouldn't but it sounds like they pushed something to wipe the config.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

One of the SmartRGs I've sold experienced what is most likely this too. That customer is on Acanac. Only the one though.. (so far?)

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

I know that Bell is capable of managing both SmartRG and Sagemcom modems even accidentally anywhere on the DSL network. They shouldn't but it sounds like they pushed something to wipe the config.

Sagemcom yes, but certainly not the SmartRG.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by BACONATOR26:

I would be surprised if that was the case. They have SmartRG modems in their labs now, if not in field testing.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

t was the case. They have SmartRG modems in their labs now, if not in field testing.

Sure, but the TR-069 management fields are not populated with Bell's management servers. These modems were tested by Bell for remote compatibility, but were deployed independently by 3rd party ISP's without any remote management configured for individual ISP's let alone Bell.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

said by HiVolt:

said by BACONATOR26:

I would be surprised if that was the case. They have SmartRG modems in their labs now, if not in field testing.

I don't believe Bell's going that route. They just release new Sagemcom V1000 and V2000 with AC wireless.

»support.bell.ca/Internet ··· 00-modem

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by BACONATOR26:

t was the case. They have SmartRG modems in their labs now, if not in field testing.

Sure, but the TR-069 management fields are not populated with Bell's management servers. These modems were tested by Bell for remote compatibility, but were deployed independently by 3rd party ISP's without any remote management configured for individual ISP's let alone Bell.

Not that we fully know of but knowing Bell they are still likely to have something loaded in their system in the event they wanted to. They wanted to control provisioning for Cellpipe modems, remember?

@lowping maybe not right now but I had confirmation last year they took stock of many SmartRG modems ready to process in their sales system so maybe they cancelled their plans at the last minute but they were ready to roll out as far as I know.